Sign in with
Your question

Asus P7P55D Deluxe CPU LED?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 5, 2010 4:29:35 AM

Alright, so I bought 2 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3s, and I just got around to installing them. I go to the mobo manual and read up on how to set them in RAID 0.

Followed instructions and I think I set it up right. Before letting my computer start up, I figure I'll just go and fix up some of the stupid *** I did with my first build.

1. Mobo had set all my DDR3-1600 RAM into DDR3-1333, as stated in BIOS.

2. I had stupidly installed my 5850 in the middle PCI-E 2.0 slot so it would have more breathing space. Unknowlingly, this slot worked as a x8, meaning my performance wasn't as good as say putting it in the top x16 slot. [All slots were stupidly labeled 'PCI-E 2.0 x16' on the motherboard itself]

I fixed Problem 2 before installing the hard drives.

To fix problem 1, I go into the BIOS and start messing with some options. Now here is where *** hit the fan.

I change the [AI OVERCLOCK TUNER] from Auto to Manual. I now change [DRAM FREQUENCY] from Auto to DDR3-1600.

While I'm here, I figure I'll also change the PCI-E speed or something and that might make my PCI-E 2.0 data speeds a bit faster. I change [PCI FREQUENCY] from its default of 100 to 110. (A value of 0 - 200 can be entered).

I've tried booting since then and now the CPU LED stays on completely solid. I either did something wrong with the RAM adjustment or the PCIE Frequency, which probably doesn't do what I think it does. [Motherboard Manual says nothing about what PCIE Frequency even is.]

I've tried clearing CMOS twice now and the CPU LED is still blaring red.

Build:
Core i7-860
LGA1156 Asus P7P55D Deluxe Motherboard
G.Skill DDR3-1600 4x2GB [8GB Total]
PSU Corsair 750 Watt
Radeon 5850 [Asus brand]
1x 1TB WD Cav Black [OS on 100gb Partition, Games on the other partition]
2x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 [RAID 0 for torrents and other media]
a b V Motherboard
March 5, 2010 9:34:48 AM

Try reseating the CPU itself? Check for any bent pins on the CPU socket.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 5, 2010 12:26:56 PM

Have you overclocked? Set your PCIe speed back to 100.

You now have your ram at its rated max speed, but if they are rated at 1.65v you will need to set that as well, since default is 1.5v.
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2010 7:49:10 PM

Quote:
Try reseating the CPU itself? Check for any bent pins on the CPU socket.

The CPU is likely not the problem. I've been using the computer without any hitches for two months before I added 2 more hard drives and tried messing with the BIOS options. But I suppose I can give it a look, it's just an immense hassle given that I have a Hyper 212 Plus heatsink + 2 fans attached on the motherboard, and removing plugs, then the heatsink, etc would be a lot of work just to see that the CPU is likely fine.

Quote:

Have you overclocked? Set your PCIe speed back to 100.

You now have your ram at its rated max speed, but if they are rated at 1.65v you will need to set that as well, since default is 1.5v.

Nothing is 'overclocked' except for bringing RAM speed to DDR3-1600 from DDR3-1333 and changing PCIE Frequency to 110 from 100. Those are the only 'overclocks' I performed. I didn't want to mess with processor speeds/voltages/RAM timings/etc, and all those values are consistent with the default values.

Thing is I can't access the BIOS at all. When the motherboard tries to boot up, it flashes the CPU LED because it believes it's encountered a problem with the CPU, and then it won't proceed any further with booting. Nothing appears on my monitor, so I can't change BIOS settings now either. If I could see BIOS, I'd just reverse some changes and everything would be fine, likely, but that doesn't seem to be an option I can do right now.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 5, 2010 10:03:40 PM

Well, only thing left then is to clear cmos.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 5, 2010 11:18:19 PM

lothdk said:
Well, only thing left then is to clear cmos.

Read first post, OP tried to clear CMOS twice.

@OP

Let's see, you have tried to clear CMOS already, but nothing affects the motherboard? You can either press the CMOS clear button at the back of the case, or try to remove the CMOS battery. If the first didn't work, try the second. If it still doesn't work... well, it's mysterious. Trying to set RAM frequency and/or PCI-e frequency should be reverted to default by clearing CMOS. I doubt that you could have fried anything, but it's still a possibility.
m
l
!