Power supply recommendation?

SkippyDogg

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Hi,

I want to know if this power supply (cooler master 700)(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171037) will be able to run 4890's in crossfire and overclocked to 1ghz( if i can) to both of them as well. My computer parts are...

1 TB hard drive 7200 rpm

4890's overclocked to 1 ghz if possible. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102841 <-- x 2

AMD Phenom quad core 2.2 ghz

1 blu-ray drive(dont know model/make)

6 120 mm case fans

8 gb of ram (dont know model/make)

Upendra09

Distinguished
NO do not get that brand or any generic brand

if you have a low brand PSU then it WILL cause your system to fail.

PSU are arguably the most important part of the system, it is the heart essentially

go with brands like Antec, Silverstone, PC&PC, Seasonic and such

this is a good one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

and it is 80 plus gold so you have very good efficiency

i don't think you need a 700 watt PSU, 650 should be enough

and which Phenom processor do you have? the phenom or Phenom II?

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency.

Before purchasing a new psu you will need to decide whether you will eventually have a pc with one or two video cards.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is an improvement over Antec’s older series psu’s.

MS Office! Beats the heck out of typing it over and over and over and over. I ought to trademark it or copyright it.

I also have posts saved for all the ATI HD Radeon 5000 power requirements plus the Frosty Tech one for the cooling and heatsink section. Must have about 50 references bookmarked too. Might have to organie them better to speed things along.

The Coolermaster you listed is by no means a "generic" power supply. It's a decent mid tier unit which you can read about here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article936-page7.html

"The Coolermaster Silent Pro M700W is clearly a quiet power supply, one with high efficiency and excellent electrical performance. Its noise level at lower loads is low enough to make a computer that's inaudible at idle and low power. While the overall SPL never gets that high, the rate at which the noise rises is almost linear, which makes the unit a touch louder than its competitors in the middle load range (200~300W) that represents real power demand in many current enthusiast systems.

The efficiency numbers alone are enough to show that this PSU has quite up-to-date technology. It is not possible to reach >85% effieicny at any load with older technology. The very low 0.3W power draw in standby is notable, as is the mere 5W draw with no load power on.

All in all, the Coolermaster Silent Pro M700W is a modern, efficient, high performance power supply quiet enough for the vast majority of users. "

Of course it won't garner the accolades of an Antec Signature (SG) and CP series, the Enermax Modu82+ 625W or the Seasonic X-650 but if you check the link below, you will see it on the "Recommended List" with the Corsair TX650W, Antec Truepower / Earthwatts Line, SilverStone Decathlon DA700, etc.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

As for the sizing, this is among the more detailed PSU calculators that you don't have to download...let it "do the math for you":

http://www.antec.outervision.com/PSUEngine

SkippyDogg

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

That power supply is waaaaaaaaay out of my price range haha. I think its just phenom not II

SkippyDogg

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

That was the first one i had choosen but i switched to the cooler master because its modular but looks like everyone is saying its a bad one..so i might buy corsair then...

SkippyDogg

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

I did the calculator thingy and it got 600 watts at 90% but it doesn't give the option of overclocking the graphics card..but does that even matter or does a graphics card use more power when overclocked?

SkippyDogg

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Well i'll upgrade my cpu like in a year or so this quad handles all the games i have without bottle neck that includes crysis also but the good part is i got this cpu for free haha i did a little dumpster diving and found it in good condition. what i find, i say. On a psu i want spend nothing more than $120 because Christmas is coming up and if i spend more than i wont be able to give anyone gifts =/

SkippyDogg

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

Hahaha yeah i did it's been the best find i have ever had. You cant imagine what people throw out these days for instance i found a half working death adder about a week ago, which i reconstructed and sold to a local friend for $30. But i thinking im going to go with the Corsair because i have an OCZ powering my two subs and it shuts down alot because apparently its rated 18 Amps per rail and i combined each rail so its a combined total 72 Amps and it shuts down on really bassy songs. But then i compared to a 400 watt logysis one that is 25A on a single 12 rail and it never shuts down. I may not being using it for the right reasons but still a $20 psu beat a $70 psu. And i have read on forums around the web that single rail power supplies are better for crossfire/SLI. So i think Corsair wins, Thanks everyone!