Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU overheats FAST on prime95

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 5, 2009 7:29:47 PM

I have a Phenom ii x4 955, and usually my temps are very decent. I get about 30C idle, and when I play games it will go up pretty high (about 50-55C, max safe temp rated 62C) That is playing Empire: Total War, CoD MW2, and Supreme Commander Forged Alliance. However, whenever I run prime95 (on the setting for max. heat) my temps skyrocket from 30C to 60C in about 45 seconds to 1 minute. (I have my comp beep at 60C CPU temp) I was wondering if this was normal, because the last thing I want is prime95 running for an extended period at or above the max safe temp for my CPU.

Right now I have the stock CPU cooler on it, but I was planning to get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... soon. I am also wondering how much that will help and if it will fit in my system (Dont care about first RAM slot as long as I don't have to take the first 2GB out) My mobo is the Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P.

Also, I am wondering exactly (or at least a good estimate) how tall that will stand from my mobo.
Thanks in advance for all the help.

Edit: Oh and by the way, I don't really care how loud it gets as long as it's under like 45dB. I already run my 275's fan at 100% and it sounds like a vacuum cleaner so it's all good, if you wanna suggest better cpu coolers.
December 5, 2009 7:40:18 PM

Well it is a cpu stressing program, so it heats the cpu up fast but it loads the cpu much more than in real world so you're still in the green (or yellow in this case.)
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
December 5, 2009 9:05:21 PM

xAPOCALYPSEx said:
I have a Phenom ii x4 955, and usually my temps are very decent. I get about 30C idle, and when I play games it will go up pretty high (about 50-55C, max safe temp rated 62C) That is playing Empire: Total War, CoD MW2, and Supreme Commander Forged Alliance. However, whenever I run prime95 (on the setting for max. heat) my temps skyrocket from 30C to 60C in about 45 seconds to 1 minute. (I have my comp beep at 60C CPU temp) I was wondering if this was normal, because the last thing I want is prime95 running for an extended period at or above the max safe temp for my CPU.

Right now I have the stock CPU cooler on it, but I was planning to get http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... soon. I am also wondering how much that will help and if it will fit in my system (Dont care about first RAM slot as long as I don't have to take the first 2GB out) My mobo is the Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P.

Also, I am wondering exactly (or at least a good estimate) how tall that will stand from my mobo.
Thanks in advance for all the help.

Edit: Oh and by the way, I don't really care how loud it gets as long as it's under like 45dB. I already run my 275's fan at 100% and it sounds like a vacuum cleaner so it's all good, if you wanna suggest better cpu coolers.

Well on average the highest your cpu should go is like 69-71C so 60C is just fine and as blackwidow said, prime 95 will make your cpu heat up really quick.

With prime 95 if you run it for like 5 to 10 minutes and dont see it get up to 69C and above then you cpu is fine.
Related resources
December 5, 2009 10:52:27 PM

warmon6 said:
Well on average the highest your cpu should go is like 69-71C so 60C is just fine and as blackwidow said, prime 95 will make your cpu heat up really quick.

With prime 95 if you run it for like 5 to 10 minutes and dont see it get up to 69C and above then you cpu is fine.

so my cpu can go past 62 without inflicting major damage?
also, what at what temp will my system just shut down?

thanks for the help so far and thanks in advance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2009 11:16:36 PM

xAPOCALYPSEx said:
so my cpu can go past 62 without inflicting major damage?

yes. most cpu could go even higher then 70C to like 80C and have really no damage. Although manufactures do say to keep the cpus 69C or below so be sure your cpu wont be damaged by heat.

As said above, if you don't see it passing above 70C with prime 95 within a 5 to 10 minute time frame then your perfectly fine.

In normal use of a computers, you'll rarely reach the temps that prime 95 can make so your more than fine.

Quote:
also, what at what temp will my system just shut down
?

Well unless you have a program on your computer that can shut it down for you when a certain temp hit, they don't normally do that. most computers do 1 of these 3 things when over heating happening:

1: Have a warning alarm beeping loudly for cpu is over heated. (needed to be enabled & temp set in bios)
2: The Cpu Speed-step (Intel) or Cool'N'Quiet (AMD) will kick in and lower your stock speed to reduce temps (needed to be enabled in bios.)
3. a combo of 1 and 2.

If you have anymore questions, just feel free to ask! :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2009 11:20:34 PM

Your CPU can probably hit the 90s before actual damage occurs, but it'll automatically downclock to protect itself.

Your system will shut down at whatever temperature you tell it to - go into the BIOS and see what you've set it to.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2009 11:28:48 PM

LePhuronn said:
Your CPU can probably hit the 90s before actual damage occurs, but it'll automatically downclock to protect itself.

Your system will shut down at whatever temperature you tell it to - go into the BIOS and see what you've set it to.

I must be behind the times. :lol: 

i didn't know the bios shut down the computer. Well i guess thats what happens when i got 5 year old tech.
m
l
December 6, 2009 12:16:46 AM

thanks for all the help guys!
m
l
!