Status
Not open for further replies.

IAreKyleW00t

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I have a Corsair USB 3.0 Flash Voyager (16GB). It's worked fine for a while, but I want to format it in NTFS so it's faster and I can hold more.

But windows give me an error saying "Windows was unable to complete the format." I have tried using Command Prompt to format it manually but it says it fails in some parts also. When I try to restore it to default it's says it fails there too.

I have tried to check for errors and it says it's fixes them and has a HUGE list of errors it corrected. But for some reason they always come back, when I check again it has the same errors!

What is the problem? :\

IAreKyleW00t

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

I just tried that and when I did it my USB wasn't listed for some reason. It was in already too when I booted up with it. Is there something I'm missing or is it broke? :p

I think that I made a mistake when I told you to use the Windows disk to format the USB drive (sorry). I don’t think that you can format a USB drive from the Windows installation disk. In my case I removed the drives USB interface and connected them via the IDE connector which solved the problem for me but is not much help for you.
I still think however that a third party partitioning and formatting software like partition magic might be the answer to your problem.

IAreKyleW00t

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010

I know you can format USB's with with Windows Install disc, because I've done that before (on accident :p). I've tried using a 3rd party partitioner/formater and i still got errors. After some more research I found that most people where saying that this kind of error after all these steps means it's a dead USB, so luckily I was able to return it to Amazon and I should get a new one. :)

Thanks for your help!

websterland

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Usually a USB stick is formatted with FAT file system initially, there can be some errors if you attempt to format it to NTFS or other filesystem. As to the problem, I think you can also use this free utility called HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool, I just tried it with my flash drive, worked pretty good. - source: cannot format usb - fix solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS