Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 "upgrade" on blank laptop.

Last response: in Windows 7
October 3, 2011 10:02:29 PM

So I got a new blank laptop in the mail today with no OS and I was curious if I could use the Windows 7 "upgrade" to install windows 7 on my blank laptop?

To fully describe my current situation, here is what I have:
A blank laptop no OS.
A windows 7 premium CD, with key OEM version. (Already used on my desktop which the mobo recently fried for so I will be without for another 2 weeks or so)

Is there an easy way for me to get Windows 7 on the blank laptop? I'm looking at saving money since the upgrade deal is only $50. Or am I going to have to get buy a new Windows 7 disk?

If that is my only option I'm thinking of using the OEM disk and calling up microsoft explaining I am reinstalling due to virus (but really installing on the blank laptop). Then buy another Windows 7 from neweg, so I won't have to wait to get my laptop set up. (this would be my last resort.

Related resources
October 3, 2011 11:17:20 PM

Thanks! When I read the article though it sounds as if he is guessing you already have Vista/XP on the computer, adn I do not.

Or am I just getting it mixed up and he actually means installing on a blank PC? Just checking because it says you require to have Vista/XP previously to upgrade. I thought someone on the microsfot phone said I would need to enter my old key from XP/Vista for the upgrade to work (which I do not have)

Thanks for the help, jsut want to make sure I don't waste $50!
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 401 $ Windows 7
October 3, 2011 11:23:10 PM

No it works perfectly!
m
l
October 3, 2011 11:50:38 PM

Thanks! I'll be sure to make another post if I have anymore troubles tomorrow.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 401 $ Windows 7
October 3, 2011 11:54:20 PM

Sounds Great!
m
l
October 4, 2011 12:45:19 AM

dubya said:
So I got a new blank laptop in the mail today with no OS and I was curious if I could use the Windows 7 "upgrade" to install windows 7 on my blank laptop?

To fully describe my current situation, here is what I have:
A blank laptop no OS.
A windows 7 premium CD, with key OEM version. (Already used on my desktop which the mobo recently fried for so I will be without for another 2 weeks or so)

Is there an easy way for me to get Windows 7 on the blank laptop? I'm looking at saving money since the upgrade deal is only $50. Or am I going to have to get buy a new Windows 7 disk?

If that is my only option I'm thinking of using the OEM disk and calling up microsoft explaining I am reinstalling due to virus (but really installing on the blank laptop). Then buy another Windows 7 from neweg, so I won't have to wait to get my laptop set up. (this would be my last resort.

yes the way you do it is like this:

1) install win7 without placing key, it will give you a 30 day trial
2) reinstall win7 with key, and it will unlock whatever version you have
3) activate, and you're good to go!
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
October 4, 2011 1:03:24 AM

The double install method works well.
It is necessary to upgrade from 32 bits to 64 bits so it is supported.

Does your new laptop have, by any chance a coa sticker on the bottom?
If it is for windows 7, you can use the product key to activate your reinstallation using your oem dvd.
m
l
!