Windows 7 "upgrade" on blank laptop.

So I got a new blank laptop in the mail today with no OS and I was curious if I could use the Windows 7 "upgrade" to install windows 7 on my blank laptop?

To fully describe my current situation, here is what I have:
A blank laptop no OS.
A windows 7 premium CD, with key OEM version. (Already used on my desktop which the mobo recently fried for so I will be without for another 2 weeks or so)

Is there an easy way for me to get Windows 7 on the blank laptop? I'm looking at saving money since the upgrade deal is only $50. Or am I going to have to get buy a new Windows 7 disk?

If that is my only option I'm thinking of using the OEM disk and calling up microsoft explaining I am reinstalling due to virus (but really installing on the blank laptop). Then buy another Windows 7 from neweg, so I won't have to wait to get my laptop set up. (this would be my last resort.
8 answers Last reply
More about windows upgrade blank laptop
  1. I found this article but unsure if it is still a viable option since it is from 2009. (I don't want o buy the $50 upgrade just to find out it won't work.)

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_use_your_windows_7_upgrade_disk_fresh_pc
  2. It works flawlessly just like it did in vista!

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media

Use the double install method!
  3. Thanks! When I read the article though it sounds as if he is guessing you already have Vista/XP on the computer, adn I do not.

Or am I just getting it mixed up and he actually means installing on a blank PC? Just checking because it says you require to have Vista/XP previously to upgrade. I thought someone on the microsfot phone said I would need to enter my old key from XP/Vista for the upgrade to work (which I do not have)

Thanks for the help, jsut want to make sure I don't waste $50!
  4. No it works perfectly!
  5. Thanks! I'll be sure to make another post if I have anymore troubles tomorrow.
  6. Sounds Great!
  7. dubya said:
    So I got a new blank laptop in the mail today with no OS and I was curious if I could use the Windows 7 "upgrade" to install windows 7 on my blank laptop?

To fully describe my current situation, here is what I have:
    A blank laptop no OS.
    A windows 7 premium CD, with key OEM version. (Already used on my desktop which the mobo recently fried for so I will be without for another 2 weeks or so)

Is there an easy way for me to get Windows 7 on the blank laptop? I'm looking at saving money since the upgrade deal is only $50. Or am I going to have to get buy a new Windows 7 disk?

If that is my only option I'm thinking of using the OEM disk and calling up microsoft explaining I am reinstalling due to virus (but really installing on the blank laptop). Then buy another Windows 7 from neweg, so I won't have to wait to get my laptop set up. (this would be my last resort.

yes the way you do it is like this:

1) install win7 without placing key, it will give you a 30 day trial
    2) reinstall win7 with key, and it will unlock whatever version you have
    3) activate, and you're good to go!
  8. The double install method works well.
    It is necessary to upgrade from 32 bits to 64 bits so it is supported.

Does your new laptop have, by any chance a coa sticker on the bottom?
    If it is for windows 7, you can use the product key to activate your reinstallation using your oem dvd.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Windows 7