Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cleaning up Win 7 64 bit

Last response: in Storage
July 15, 2011 1:34:19 AM

When I installed Win 7 64 bit on a 40 gig SSD I seemed to have a fair bit of space. Now over time it seems to be nibbled up by software such as Google wanting to install on C:

Users folder for example is now 2.5 gigs, the second drive is a Raptor so any suggestions on how to slim the C: drive contents down or move things off to the raptor?

For example is it possible to get it to hibernate using the Raptor rather than c:.

Are there any bits of the operating system that I could delete? There seemed to be a few .jpgs but for some reason Win 7 stopped me from deleting them.

Thanks John

More about : cleaning win bit

a c 415 G Storage
July 15, 2011 4:40:16 AM

Unfortunately there's no way to move the hibernation file. If you have the page file on the SSD it can be moved to another drive, as can the folders for individual users. See this page for instructions on how to move the users: http://www.w7forums.com/change-location-my-documents-fo...
m
l
July 15, 2011 12:47:15 PM

My documents has already been moved.

The big problem seems to be C:\Users\trainz\AppData\Local and its not just one company either.

http://www.overclock.net/ssd/664738-how-setup-ssd-boot-... gives instructions on how to move \users to another drive on a fresh installation.

However the machine originally had XP on it then I upgraded to Win 7. Is there a way to simply reinstall Win 7 from scratch from a recovery disk or some such so I can do the regedit thing?

I am comfortable using regedit by the way and have a fair amount of technical expertise.

Thanks John
m
l
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
July 15, 2011 4:34:23 PM

When you say you "upgraded" from XP to Windows 7 I assume what you mean is that you did a complete install of Windows 7 onto a disk which previously held Windows XP without first formatting it, right? Windows 7 doesn't have an "upgrade-in-place" capability from XP.

Is the data for the "trainz" important? I assume what your saying is that there's some "trainz" account and that its profile folder is set to the C: drive? Is there some reason you can't sign onto that account to do the move procedure?

I'm also not sure what you mean by "reinstall Win 7 from scratch from a recovery disk". You can reinstall Windows 7 from scratch, but if you don't format the disk when you do it (thus erasing all the data on the drive) then the C:\Users\trainz..." file will still be there.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 15, 2011 5:31:38 PM

I would also be checking alignment on that current install to make sure it is good.
m
l
July 15, 2011 6:00:17 PM

sminlal said:
When you say you "upgraded" from XP to Windows 7 I assume what you mean is that you did a complete install of Windows 7 onto a disk which previously held Windows XP without first formatting it, right? Windows 7 doesn't have an "upgrade-in-place" capability from XP.

Is the data for the "trainz" important? I assume what your saying is that there's some "trainz" account and that its profile folder is set to the C: drive? Is there some reason you can't sign onto that account to do the move procedure?

I'm also not sure what you mean by "reinstall Win 7 from scratch from a recovery disk". You can reinstall Windows 7 from scratch, but if you don't format the disk when you do it (thus erasing all the data on the drive) then the C:\Users\trainz..." file will still be there.

The configuration is C: SSD 40 gigs, f: raptor 300 gigs, G: Samsung 1.81 terra gigs plus a 1 terabyte Samsung connected by USB for back up. I have 6 gigs of triple channel memory. I have the system set up with 3 separate user accounts plus three admin accounts.

I installed XP then used a Win 7 upgrade to format C: and install Win 7. The virtual memory file is set up on f:. When it was first installed I had some five or six gigs of c: drive free. Over time despite installing to F: where possible this has come down to around 3 gigs which I'm not terribly comfortable with. Adobe, Google, Skype and one or two other companies including HP seem to think they have a right to clutter up the c: drive.

Where possible programs are installed on the raptor and all data files are on F: or G:.

I've managed to move some folders under user but not all, I don't see a location option on the tabs for some folders, and its the ones I can't move that seem to be filling up.

Formatting C: wouldn't affect the data files and everything is backed up reasonably well. I have enough room on G: to back F: onto it to make sure.

I simply don't know what happens if I take the upgrade DVD and say install with format on C: does it remember the serial number? I have it lying around from Belarc.

Thanks John

m
l

Best solution

a c 283 G Storage
July 15, 2011 6:51:08 PM

tecmo wrote an article that was published by Tom's Hardware that included an analysis of Windows 7 and ssd space saving techniques:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-twe...

Don't know if it will help you or not. I did a fresh install on my ssd and only did the space saving tweaks. So far so good. I skipped the other "speed enhancing" techniques since it now appears that many of them are of questionable value.
July 15, 2011 7:55:13 PM

The article was useful in that I didn't have the drive configured for Trim. Based on what I've read there I suspect I'll leave things as they are until it gets a bit more critical then dump the hibernate if need be and reinstall Windows this time doing the regedit bit to move all the user files onto f:.

Thanks John
m
l
July 22, 2011 12:50:03 AM

Best answer selected by johnwhelan3316.
m
l
!