First PC Build: I5 750 vs Phenom II X4 955 BE

shaado

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[strike]Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037
$167.99[/strike]

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674
$165.99

Building my first PC in a month or two.
I've been doing research and can't decide between these two CPU's.
This is based from the benchmarks on this website. (http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-charts/benchmarks,60.html)
I will be using my PC for everything really..... (from work to multimedia, gaming, etc. )

[strike]Some argue that you should stick with dual core (for now), others argue that the 8400 motherboard (LGA-775) is the at the end of its line and you would be better of with the quad-core and the AM3 mobo for future upgrades.
There are other pros and cons too am aware of (obviously) like the 8400 is easier to overclock but both chips OC very well; and for the same price I am still uncertain which to get.[/strike]

Ask me if you need more specific information to help me out. This is my first PC build so I am not exactly 100% sure what to get either.
I basically based my decisions on price and the benchmarks I posted above and further forum research.

For total budget: I would like to stay under $1000 for the build. $700 would be ideal but I would go to up to $1000 maximum if its really worth it.

Any comments advice suggestions? Thanks in advance.

UPDATE [12/7]: I am no longer considering the E8400. It is now between the I5 750 and the Phenom II X4 955. Please disregard any information regarding the E8400 or dual cores. Thanks again.

notty22

Distinguished
This is easy. Between these two, you have to get the AMD 955.
The other may o/c better , but that will not help in any game or application compared to a 955(4 cores) at 3.5. That lg775 dual core chip is a great chip, but I would only buy that now as a possible upgrade to a existing 775 platform.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
I have an E8400. Its is a very fast dual core, and can overclock to about 4ghz. I would only consider the Core 2 if you plan to overclock it all the way and use it only for gaming. (Multitasking has been known to slow me down a little)

The Phenom is the better deal here, though. Its newer, and offers quad core power.

Tom's testers say the 955 is the best CPU available at the $175 mark. Check it out.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu,2466-4.html

You do know that most app's and games can only use 2 threads right? :whistle: http://www.guru3d.com/article/cpu-scaling-in-games-with-quad-core-processors/1

The only real benefit of having a quad core cpu for current apps and games is that any background activities on the computer will run on inactive cores. This will translate for the program you are have running will have more cpu to it self than having to share.

Now this wont mean in the future that game and app's wont use quad core cpu's to there full advantage (because they will). It just right now if you have a high GHz dual core cpu, they tend to be better than slow quad core cpu for most of todays stuff.

Now yes, the phenom II's are a better deal than the core 2 duos because of having 4 cores for the same price.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-l3-cache,2416.html

For cpu's i would recommend getting athlon II x4 620 for $99 than getting a Phenom II. You can use that save money to get better graphics.

TonyLee

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Amd is still so overpriced for what you get. Build an I5 750 System. Microcenter has the I5 750 for 149.99

Yeah, but aren't the good deals at Microcenter available as in-store pick up only? Not everyone lives near one, so only some people can take advantage of the prices.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
If you live within 10 miles of a Microcenter retail store it's likely worthwhile.
Further than 10 miles its better ordering it online.
For me the cost of driving (gas,wear and tear,risk of an accident),time several days trip,having to rent a motel,lost wages or likewise booking a flight,renting a car would be so enourmous that It would be cheaper to buy a complete new computer system instead.

The savings is what $50.If I wanted one I would just order it at newegg and have it delivered at no cost to my home.

shaado

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009

That's a very interesting comparison with the L3 cache. But I'll still go Phenom.

Amd is still so overpriced for what you get. Build an I5 750 System. Microcenter has the I5 750 for 149.99

I thought it was Intel that was overpriced and that the Phenom II's just had a price drop. (?)

notty22

Distinguished

You do realize I answered the op's question which was a choice between two processors. I think he is looking at user experience/enjoyment with his selections at a certain pricepoint. And I do think cache and extra cores are important. If your only goal is to get playable FPS in video games ,you want to start your pc off with no services running, no web browser running. Sure you can get a 60 dollar dual core with no cache and get the same fps in a game. If thats your goal.

shaado

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009

Ok. I finally looked up the information for i5 750. This is a great suggestion if I can actually get it for $149.99; newegg has it at 199.99 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115215)
There is no Microcenter in my state (Florida) according to website. The closet seems to be Atlanta, Georgia.

Thanks for the help (everyone). I don't get paid until the 31st so I won't be making any final decisions until after the new year. By then maybe the i5 750 price will go down some. If not looks like it's going to be the Phenom II X4 955 BE.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
The fear of getting in an accident? :lol: Are you 70 years old?

I said the risk of getting into an traffic accident.That is always a probability.Accidents do occur and the probability goes up the longer in distance of the trip and is more likely in dense urban areas.If there were no accidents car insurance wouldn't exist.
Yes,there is also a probablility of injury or death in a car accident.
Also there is a probability of obtaining a traffic infraction as well
Fear, no I don't have any fear of driving.
In store pickup at a microcenter retail store closest to me would be a 1,300 mile round driving trip to California.

1300 miles? From where?

Well, and in most cases you have to tack on Tax for Microcenter too, something I don't have to do for Newegg. So, I'd suggest doing comparisons and planning with the $200 Newegg price and if you can swing by and grab one from Microcenter great, if not, no huge loss.

shaado

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Yes . I am now seriously comparing the I5 750 and the Phenom II X4 955.

I think the I5 750 is worth the extra $30 bucks; but still wondering if it's worth using that extra money for other components (like GPU and RAM).
I still have to thoroughly investigate the motherboard options for each cpu. But I think I will lean towards the I5 750, especially if the price drops soon (hopefully).

EDIT: I've edited the first post to reflect the change(s) above.

dna708

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
If you plan to keep the system more than 2.5 years (if you don't want to buy a whole new system in 2.5 years) buy the phenom build. If you ONLY want to play games, buy the phenom build because it's slightly cheaper. If you're worried about multi tasking, media editing, and basically doing anything CPU intensive, you should buy the i5 system.

For the money, the overall advantages of the i5 build more than justify the 50$ difference (if you don't live near a microcenter). The price for the motherboards should be about the same and every other component is the same.

The only thing you have to be careful about when choosing a p55 motherboard are whether or not the boards use the foxconn sockets. There have been sightings of CPU burnouts due to these specific sockets.

notty22

Distinguished

This is not true. Even without overclocking the 955, The GPU would dictate the fps between a 4.0 c2d and 3.2 PhenomII.

THG has done tests where he ran the I7 920 o/c for most tests, but then lowered the clock speed down from 3.9 to 3.3 and then finally at stock 2.66 and it proved not to botteneck the FPS in almost all situations.
IMO

someguy7

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
They would both be good systems. I would go for which ever system I could get for the cheapest. Also consider into that what parts you already have. Like if your current machine has ram that new system can use and so on.

Or look at the benchmarks for the work/apps you use. If one chip is considerably faster than the other in them task it may be worth it for to spend a little extra. Either way you will be happy.