2500K cpu OC to 5.0Ghz, 1.41 volts safe temps?

jewie27

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I am using an Asus Maximus IV Extreme - Z and I have overclocked my Intel 2500K to 5.0Ghz @ 1.41 volts on the Vcore.

It has been running Prime95 blend test for about an hour so far and it's stable. Is 80 degrees celcius safe during prime95 testing?

I'm using a Corsair H100 liquid cooling system on medium speed stock (2) fans. When I'm playing battlfield 3, my temps normally don't go above the mid 50's.

D

Deleted member 217926

That is a nice overclock and those temps are good. That being said I have read quite a bit that you really should keep the voltage below 1.4 or you can really reduce the life of the CPU. At 1.41v you are right on that edge.

To be honest it is really just a judgement call on your part. You might be fine for years at that speed/voltage or you could back off to 1.38v or so and maybe get a 4.8Ghz overclock and be truly safe.

jewie27

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

do you mean that 1.41 volts is going to kill my cpu? I want this cpu to last 4 to 5 years, it is my primary gaming system. I don't know if it will be stable at 1.4 volts, 5.0ghz. 1.41 was recommended to me by the Asus ROG team.

It isn't going to brick it right away but it will gradually degrade as many are staring to find out. It starts with being unstable at was once a stable clock but eventually you will find your self dropping clocks back a bit. Go for a slightly lower clock and reduce your voltage to stay with in Intel's max safe voltage. One question do you really need your cpu at 5ghz?

D

Deleted member 217926

^ This.

The testers at Tom's as well as at other places have found that 1.4v and higher can reduce the life of the 2500k/2600k chips. It does not kill it right away but it will degrade over time.

I got my 2600k to 4.5 at 1.36v ( hyperthreading on ) and just decided to stay there and not risk a dead CPU in a year or 2. I also am looking to keep my system for 4 years or so although I will go with a more powerful GPU before that.

If it was my computer I would back off just a bit but like I said you are right on the line of being safe. To be honest you are not going to see much difference between 4.5 and 5Ghz anywhere but benchmarks.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Yeah may as well stick to 4.4 - 4.5GHz if you want to keep the processor for 5 years.