Sign in with
Your question

New SSD suggestions?

Last response: in Storage
July 15, 2011 10:45:53 AM

I am getting some money next month and was thinking about putting some towards an SSD, preferably a good sized one so that I can download Windows 7 and a few games to it. For my other drive I'm just going to use it for the files that I update more frequently, and take up alot of space like music,videos, and etc.

So I was guessing 120gb drive would be more than enough for how much space I need, and since it seems that 120gb gives me a larger range of choice of what ssd to buy.

My budget for the ssd is 200-300,

so here are a couple that I've been looking at but havn't pulled the trigger on yet, for some reason or the other:

-OCZ Vertex 3 Max Iops 120gb 289.99: heard it was as fast as the Vertex 3 but with higher 4k randoms and sequential write, but also bad reliablility, and that they calculated their numbers using synthetics rather than real world tests.

-Intel 510 120gb: Not in the same ranks as the Vertex 3 but I've heard that you have a better chance at getting the numbers they show, better reliability some-what, but probably slower than some others if the number ARE true.

-Patriot Wildfire 120gb: looks like it is a copy of the vertex 3 MIOPS at a far but it is a newer SSD so I havn't heard to much about it except for a review from Anandtech.com. Maybe it can give the performance that I am looking for but have the reliability of Intel.

Here is the review from Anandtech:http://www.anandtech.com/show/4341/ocz-vertex-3-max-iop...

I guess you can call me a noob at SSDs since this is the first time I took time to research them, and I have never owned one so if there is any questions or helpful information on what is the "essential" knowledge needed to make an insightful decision it would be much appreciated.

More about : ssd suggestions

a c 353 G Storage
July 15, 2011 2:26:07 PM

What is important falls into 2 camps - (1) SSD used as boot drive + Programs and (2) Data drive.

For Boot drive, ignore Seq Hype, Look at simulated real world test such as PC Vantage, then do a cost/performance evaluation. For 10->15% lower performance, will you see the difference.
IE: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4341/ocz-vertex-3-max-iop...

For a data drive and using/working with large files such as Video (1 Gig for dot vob and upto 40 gigs for a single blu-ray file), large spreadsheets, CAD/CAM drawing files, and large jpeg/bitmap photos - Sequencial is more important.

Sugguest you not make a choice yet, wait at less a Month to see if some of the "BUGS" are fixed. At this time my suggestions are limited to Sata III using the marvel controller and SATA II (using the SF12xx controller) and the Samsung 470 (a samsung controller). Intel 320 not recommended. As too the SF22xx controller SSD - Plug-&-PRAY (not enough time to evaluater the Wildfire)

Two threads that look at this same question:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

RANT: The only way a OCZ SSD will see the light inside my computer is if they send me a FREE replacement for my Agility III - THAT works without jumping thru hoops!!!! Up untill I saw How the corporate mentality - Scre^@#$%^% the costumer I have recommended OCZ. How does that go - takes a while to build up a good reputation, but one Swcr&&&^% up to distroy it - and a Very long time to get it back. They should have recalled/refunded the ones that are defective be it firmware or hardware!!!
m
l
July 15, 2011 2:37:00 PM

Where does the Samsung 470 fall in performance with the Intel 510 120gb on SATA III?
m
l
Related resources
July 15, 2011 2:38:13 PM

I was first thinking about the 510 and then looked else where and saw the others I mentioned, so I guess I had the right idea too start off with.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 15, 2011 2:43:36 PM

OK lets take these one at a time...

OCZ Vertex 3- on newegg it has 123 reviews, 26% of which are very negative.

Intel 510- on newegg it has about 100 reviews, 10% of which are very negative.

Patriot Wildfire- on newegg it is very new, has 4 good reviews

Would you choose the OCZ knowing that 1 in 4 purchasers really regretted their decision? From my research it seems that Crucial and Intel and consistently the most liked by purchasers, maybe they are just the most reliable. I don't think speed is so important with an SSD, it is already so fast that a little more or less isn't noticeable. It's like driving a Ferrari to work, maybe a Viper is a little faster in some tests on the track but can you tell the difference when driving to work? And speed really doesn't matter if your new SSD fails a week after you've had it.
m
l
July 15, 2011 2:48:13 PM

I guess I'll wait though becouse i just read a review that said the Wildfire was faster in loading Far Cry 2 than a Revo Drive
m
l
July 15, 2011 2:53:23 PM

cadder said:
OK lets take these one at a time...

OCZ Vertex 3- on newegg it has 123 reviews, 26% of which are very negative.

Intel 510- on newegg it has about 100 reviews, 10% of which are very negative.

Patriot Wildfire- on newegg it is very new, has 4 good reviews

Would you choose the OCZ knowing that 1 in 4 purchasers really regretted their decision? From my research it seems that Crucial and Intel and consistently the most liked by purchasers, maybe they are just the most reliable. I don't think speed is so important with an SSD, it is already so fast that a little more or less isn't noticeable. It's like driving a Ferrari to work, maybe a Viper is a little faster in some tests on the track but can you tell the difference when driving to work? And speed really doesn't matter if your new SSD fails a week after you've had it.

yeah i know the V.3 has atrocious reliablility, and yes I know that the 510 had substantially better reliablility, but I just wanted an opinion from someone who I had no doubt knew what they were talking about. The opinion that I was really trying to get is what anyone knew about the Wildfire, and what I needed to know before dropping that kind of money.
m
l
July 15, 2011 2:56:34 PM

anyway, so if I was going to buy a SF 1 drive, is there any suggestions?
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
July 15, 2011 3:48:19 PM

Older review of Samsung 470. Does not have the newer SSds but you can get a feel for it.
http://www.techspot.com/review/340-samsung-470-series-s...
Myself I'd probably go with a Sata II Pheonix Pro - Note getting harder to find the Sata II SF-1200 drives. Just google the Vertex-II SSD and look at the reviews - other Brands w/SF1200 controller will be simular. Have the Pro and Works great in my computer, no problems and have had for about 1 Year.

Looks promising: ($250 - $230 w/MIR) Plextor 128 Gig SATA III (Marvel controller). 40 Reviews, 0 1 egg, 2 2-2gg (One of those is questioable). 1 3 egg - Did not like software (have a life).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Reviews:
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1561/7/
Review (No real world test): http://www.cdrlabs.com/Reviews/plextor-px-128m2s-128gb-...
m
l
July 15, 2011 4:38:36 PM

Hmmm....its hard to tell becouse I havn't seen a review with both the 510 and the Plextor on the same test setup but it seems like they should be pretty similar, around the same disk space, using the same driver, and they are both posting similar specs. on newegg. I guess I'll just stick with the Intel 510 120gb since I know for sure what I should expect, becouse I've seen the benchmarks with other namebrand SSDs and I respect the brand.

so my plan now is the 510 if nothing changes in the month that I have to earn the cash, but if not see what happens with the Sandforce 2280 controller

thanks for your help by the way I was clueless
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
July 15, 2011 5:02:33 PM

ENJOY
Have 7 SSDs in my 5 systems - NO regreats, SSDs are the way to go, Just wish manuf would back their products better, at least with a "Buyer Beware or PLUG & PRAY" sticker for OCZ (LOL).
m
l
a c 286 G Storage
July 15, 2011 6:56:13 PM

"Buyer Beware or PLUG & PRAY" sticker for OCZ"

ROFLMAO :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
m
l
!