Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 6850 - Screen corruption during benchmark, but no artifacts?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 7, 2011 4:55:13 AM

First of all, my specs:
GPU: AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gigabyte, factory OC @ 820 Core and 1200 Memory. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU: e8500 core 2 duo, OC'd @ 4.0 GHz. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
RAM: 4 GB DDR2 PC2 8500 G.Skill, 1:1 w/ my cpu so it's at 840 MHz right now.
PSU: Antec True Power Trio 650w, with 3 rails, 19 amps each. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I'm OCing this card using CCC's built-in Overdrive, and it seemed to be OCing like a goddamn monster. Now, I should mention that for benching between increments on my previous card, I used ATI Tool 0.27 for about 10 min until it seems like I've arrived at my final clock, at which point I bench it for 30 minutes to ensure stability.

For my 6850, I kept applying this method and never saw a single artifact during the benchmarks. But after about 5 minutes of benching with my Core at 905 MHz and the Memory at 1260 MHz, the screen started having this weird corruption where at first I saw a couple static lines randomly, then the screen image became a bit fuzzy and started moving to the left slowly, cycling over to the right side of my screen once it passed the left side. And all the while this happened, there wasn't a single artifact in ATI Tool. I checked my HDMI cables and found that they were definitely in place, so I ended the test and the screen stayed... weird. I turned the screen off then back on, and it was fine again.

The temps definitely aren't dangerous, they hit 67c max. Is my PSU not able to handle this clock, or does ATI Tool just not show artifacts correctly? Should I use different software?
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 7, 2011 5:05:00 AM

Sometimes you need to raise the voltage a little bit to ensure a good stability of OCing, Also you could have tried a higher memory clocks than this.
What bench software do you use ?
m
l
December 7, 2011 5:11:22 AM

ilysaml said:
Sometimes you need to raise the voltage a little bit to ensure a good stability of OCing, Also you could have tried a higher memory clocks than this.
What bench software do you use ?

...did you read any of my post? Nothing you said answers my questions. No, I do not need to know how to keep a card stable. I need to know why the screen corrupted while I didn't have any artifacts appear. If you want to know what benchmark tool I used, then read my post.
m
l
Related resources
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 7, 2011 5:31:57 AM

youngster,
I did read your post, you said ATI tool it's an OCing utility not a bench software, and as long as you're encountering some issues you're not stable.
Do you see such weird fuzzy images during normal stock clocks ? no.....
Try using 3D mark vantage or furmark to stress the GPU and see if you're getting a BSODs or any artifacts, non-rendered pixels, lines.
EDIT: My Crystal Ball is not working right now to solve your problem from the first post.
m
l
December 7, 2011 5:34:31 AM

1) Why thank you for addressing me by my title here. Good to know you think that's somehow relevant to the conversation.

2) If you don't understand that ATI Tool has a GPU torture-testing function, then you shouldn't be here. At all.

3) I never claimed once that my card is stable when this happened. Because that's obvious.

I really hope users like yourself aren't the norm in this forum, or I may need to seek help elsewhere.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 7, 2011 6:00:22 AM

psycho sonic said:

Quote:
1) Why thank you for addressing me by my title here. Good to know you think that's somehow relevant to the conversation.

2) If you don't understand that ATI Tool has a GPU torture-testing function, then you shouldn't be here. At all.

I didn't need your thankfulness, and i don't need to swear to confirm that i read ur post.
ATI tool is not even built in newer CCC.
ATI Tool is not considered useful with the newer cards. My HD 6950 can't hit 100% usage with it. Furmark is considered a virus for stressing and heating the GPUs
As a reminder: If it crashes in ANY application, the card can not be considered stable.
Quote:
3) I never claimed once that my card is stable when this happened. Because that's obvious.

And if you knew that your GPU is not stable you would have listened to the advice of raising up voltages. And trying other bench softwares to know if your card is really stable or not.

Quote:
I really hope users like yourself aren't the norm in this forum, or I may need to seek help elsewhere

If you're convinced that you're experienced enough to troubleshot your problem, you'd not have come here to ask for help.

m
l
December 7, 2011 6:07:23 AM

Ok, you clearly aren't mature enough to handle a simple question like "why am I not receiving artifacts" or else you wouldn't have typed ANYTHING other than your lines in the last post about ATI Tool not being useful and Furmark being a virus. And you didn't explain the virus metaphor in any way, which really makes one concerned about your literacy. I'll just ask these kinds of questions at dedicated forums where the users hopefully aren't borderline-illiterate and hopefully don't fill up every post with a strawman. Good try though.
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
December 7, 2011 6:16:09 AM

psycho sonic said:
I'll just ask these kinds of questions at dedicated forums where the users hopefully aren't borderline-illiterate and hopefully don't fill up every post with a strawman.

Good Luck then.
m
l
!