El cheapo for my little bro

My brother just turned 21 and in an attempt to stumble to his bed and pass out, dumped a beer in his laptop. Now he needs a new computer for cheap and I said I'd build him one. He's a college student and doesn't need anything fancy, just something for music, writing papers, and running some software from the university.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Tomorrow

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: homework (office programs), music & general storage

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS (free from school)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg, microcenter

PARTS PREFERENCES: none

OVERCLOCKING: Onboard graphics will do, and i may try and OC before he gets it.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: whatever the onboard graphics will do

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: none

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223B $30.99

Foxconn TLM436-CN300C-01 Black / Silver Steel MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case 300W Power Supply

$39.99

COMBO
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model CMD4GX2M2A1066C5
GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX240OCGQBOX
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

$254.97

my newegg cart

Any suggestions/problems?
6 answers Last reply
More about cheapo
  1. Nope.. only way to get any cheaper would be to build a dinky barebones nettop. All the power of an intel Atom, with none of the portability!
  2. too powerful for the purpose.

look for mini-ITX and pico-ITX motherboards. they're tiny and perform these tasks properly. also the little cases for these boards look mostly great. if you want it to run faster get SSD instead of a hard disk.
  3. He basically wants it as cheap as possible, $325 for this build as I have it. As far as performance goes it is what it is. I was just wondering if there was a way to do it cheaper. Barebone system? A SSD is way to expensive and looks aren't important to him, he just wants something that works.
  4. You mentioned that it was his lappy, does he need the portability on campus? What about a cheap-o dell netbook.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dndofm3&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=mini_laptop_deals

A few people here at work with me have them, and think they are great.

edit: you could also look into the Dell refurbs for further price cut.
  5. thanks i'll run the dell by him. though i think that he's tired of the problems associated with laptops.
  6. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5241596&Sku=B69-0124

Should allow upgrades along the way as well. Btw, may want to change the PSU up along the way, but the $$ not sure you are going to do much better.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems