Sign in with
Your question

I5-2500k stock voltage overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
December 7, 2011 10:34:34 AM

Hi all,

I just put together an i5-2500k system a few week ago. I can't seem to find stock voltage for this CPU after googling for like a month now. I think it's 1.320v as in my BIOS listed when everything is on default but I'm not 100% sure. Can anyone confirm this? And how high (stable) can you OC it with the stock voltage?

Thanks in advance.
December 7, 2011 1:04:13 PM

nope, its too high, i think its arround 1.1 to 1.2
m
l
December 7, 2011 2:06:12 PM

My BIOS listed my stock voltage at 1.332. I can't explain anything but I have my cpu clocked at 44x with a dynamic vcore (Gigabyte board) of -0.030. Ran it through Prime95 last night with no issues.

Your CPU may be different.
m
l
Related resources
a c 341 à CPUs
a c 130 K Overclocking
December 7, 2011 2:57:18 PM

Sonny73N said:
Hi all,

I just put together an i5-2500k system a few week ago. I can't seem to find stock voltage for this CPU after googling for like a month now. I think it's 1.320v as in my BIOS listed when everything is on default but I'm not 100% sure. Can anyone confirm this? And how high (stable) can you OC it with the stock voltage?

Thanks in advance.

Run cpu-Z. It will tell you at what voltage your cpu is running at the moment. The voltage will vary with the load and multiplier.

I like the idea of overclocking, keeping the voltage at stock, or AUTO. That, to me is a conservative non damaging overclock.
With that proviso, you can increase the multiplier until you reach a very high load temperature or instability. Then back off a bit.
You can get a bit more with fsb increases, but I think that is so limited(2-5%?) that I would not bother.

Chips will vary, but 4.0 should be there for most all. 4.5 is perhaps there. How high do you really need to be?

m
l
December 8, 2011 8:59:25 AM

@geofelt,

Thanks for your input. Btw nice system you got there.

CPU-Z and HWMonitor wouldn't be able to monitor my CPU vcore. I think I'll have to wait for their new versions which can support Gigabyte LGA1155 MBs.

I've just found out the default stock voltage for the i5-2500k. It's 0.988 - 1.320v. The second reason I created this thread was that I wanted to know how high people can clock their i5-2500k at stock voltage so I can know whether I have a good chip.

My i5-2500k 4.4GHz @stock voltage with TurboBoost and all power saving features on
Idle temp: 30C
Max load: 66C
Room temp: 25C
Used P95 and Realtemp to test and monitor. Zalman9500 HSF and AS5
I think I have an OK chip
m
l
a c 341 à CPUs
a c 130 K Overclocking
December 8, 2011 12:59:15 PM

I think you have a good sample.
But really, how much better than 4.4 do you need to be?

If you are an experimenter and need a challenge, then OK.
Otherwise, you may find it hard to detect the difference in real world apps.
m
l
December 10, 2011 10:09:16 AM

geofelt said:
I think you have a good sample.
But really, how much better than 4.4 do you need to be?

If you are an experimenter and need a challenge, then OK.
Otherwise, you may find it hard to detect the difference in real world apps.

Oh, I'm really happy with 4.4GHz. I mostly use my system for video encoding and photo editing. With QuickSync utilized, my CPU only running at 26% max when encoding videos. I only want to max it out at stock voltage but better temps would be nice. Today I took a look at my BIOS again, I saw the Vcore was 1.368v. Then in windows, EasyTune said 1.280v - 1.320v when I ran P95. Now I'm confused. I used to build AMD systems only. This is my first Intel one (the i5-2500k temptation). So above 60C would seem a little high for me, not to mention that it's winter time. I thought I would have nice temps if I only clock it on stock voltage.

Anyone cares for some insight?
m
l
a c 341 à CPUs
a c 130 K Overclocking
December 10, 2011 5:59:31 PM

1) I think your temperatures are nominal. Particularly with a Zalman 9500 which is pretty, but not one of the top air coolers.

2) 60c. under load is good. The max before throttling starts is something like 95c.

3) Run cpu-Z. It will tell you what your core voltage is at the moment.
m
l
!