Parts Chosen! Ready to Buy-n-Build. ANY last minute suggestions?

lumpsums

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Hey all, posted about a month ago with a setup. Made for moderate gaming and multi-tasking, schoolwork and media capabilities. Any last minute changes for compatibility, better price/value you know of? I'm excited to drop the $1600 RIGHT NOW.

Give me your best, techgods!

Lian Li Case
AFT XM-35U Kiosk Card Reader
already have SATA DVD drives..

AsRock Extreme X58 Mobo
Corsair CMPSU-750TX, 750W ATX12V PSU
Intel i7 920 2.66 GHz CPU
Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600 RAM
WD Caviar Black 1TB HD
GeForce GTX 275 VGA

22" LCD Monitor
Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech MX518 Mouse

These are all newegg.com links. I've found that zipzoomfly.com has awesome deals, prices/availability I don't need from newegg necessarily, just the best reference, as you know!

I understand that Windows 7 is not out publicly til the end of October? I may wait another week or so but any good deals I can get now I'll take advantage of!

TEAR ME AN ASSHOLE IF YOU FEEL I'M WRONG BUT I'M READY TO GET THIS BABY!

jared51182

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Just a note about the OS. You mention school work, if you are at a university, you should be able to get the OS either for free or exceptionally cheap. Also, some universities already have Win 7 available for students. So you might want to check with your IT department - again that is if you are at college.

lumpsums

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

hey jared, thanks for the reply. yes i am in school but not a university, just a community college living at home. i'm contemplating buying XP or Vista now so that I can get on this thing sooner than Win7 comes out and just upgrade at the time.

Not sure though. Definitley want the 64bit of course, and although it may be an easier install to just wait for 7 to debut, I just want this badass thing up and running right NOW! :)

Any other suggestions on a fan controller? I have 2 cases fans with 3to4pin molexes installed, plan on getting an aftermarket cpu fan and maybe a PCI slot fan, so the ability to control 2-4 fans on a front 5.25 bay (maybe 2 slots even!). Was looking at the NZXT SENTRY LX dual-bay controller cause it was awesome looking but don't know how it rates to users..

Any other suggestions on a card reader?

lumpsums

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

thanks for the reply obsidian. The mouse I chose is an optical. I've used laser before, and I wasn't happy with the timing when moving it.

Example: was playing CS when I was eighteen, the laser mouse was either too sensitive or i messed up, and I ended up smashing the thing against my DELL case.

yea... that didn't work anymore. but just so i can try something different, the optical seem to best for gaming.

The RAM? ehh OCZ, well trusted for memory? I only chose CORSAIR cause they're pretty much THE memory guys. Who knows. More input is cool with me I'll be on here all day!

lumpsums

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

oooh very nice. definitley helpful thank you shortstuff!

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
personally I never saw the point in built in card readers on desktops, they do make sense on laptops though. Usually built in ones like the one you picked take up an entire USB 2.0 header, and remain constantly connected to it. I have a sandisk external reader that hooks up via USB, and I keep it in the drawer until I actually have pictures to transfer.

Also, not sure if there's any truth behind this but might be worth looking into: on my desktop, the more USB crap I have plugged in that requires resources, the longer my boot up takes.

bashful98033

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
You might want to consider a different screen

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059
ASUS VH236H Black 23" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 20000 :1 (ASCR) Built in Speakers - Retail
Full HD 1080P - ($169.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate Card )

This is only $20 bucks more than the screen you listed and it has better stats - 23" vs 22", 1920x1080 vs 1680x1050, 2ms response vs 5ms response

-b

lumpsums

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

i should have thought of this. external usb hub vs. the 3.5 bay spot. interesting, good point wathman. thanks for the advice.

lumpsums

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

thanks b. i'm looking at it. yeah 20 dollars went a long way here.

proof again that tomshardware.com can make me a better man.