Corsair H80 - will it be compatible with Ivy Bridge?

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
My zalman 8700 is letting my CPU get into the upper 70s during prime95, so i want to get something better for my Q9550. I'm looking at the H80 to replace it, but since I plan on building a new rig next year when ivy bridge is out, i want to make sure that I'll be able to use the H80 with it as well.

I know that the H80 will be technically capable of cooling the Ivy Bridge CPUs because they will be even lower wattage, but what i'm wondering about is whether or not I will be able to physically mount the cooling block on it with the parts that it comes with if i order one today. It says its compatible with my my lga775 of course as well as other sockets, and lga2011, is this what ivy bridge will be using? i searched and found somewhere that says that it will be backwards compatible with this socket, but i dont want to have to get a certain motherboard without all the new features when i build my ivy bridge rig just because i want to be able to keep my $100 cooler.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008

yeah thats what i was thinking, i was just hoping someone had heard about it by now

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I don't follow Corsair LCS coolers- you could always email them and see if this is the case? I would think they would make an adapter- they would have to at some point since they will certainly be supporting that socket...I guess it depends if they will support that socket with that actual cooler.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008

Oh really? thats awesome! Thanks for the info. Must say, i'm impressed you knew this when even corsair wasnt able to give me an answer when i emailed them about it (they said something along the lines of "we havent got any definite confirmation from intel..")