Will AMD THUBAN fit into current AM3 motherboards?

haridas

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
From several sites I read that AMD THUBAN will be backwards compatible with AM3 and AM2 motherboards.Is it true?Current AM3 motherboards are with 770 and 790 chipset.Will they support THUBAN?I read somewhere that THUBAN will need 890 chipset.

kkracht

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
that's BS. Asus for example decided to do their whole M4 line, and leave behind their entire M3 line customers. For example, the M3A78-EM and the M4A78-EM have the exact same chipsets, yet Asus only created a BIOS upgrade for the M4A78 and their official response is that that is where they draw the line, and they have no plans to release future updates for the M3A78. As a result they have lost my business and respect forever. My M3A78-EM is less than a year old. So much for being future-proof Asus, hasta la vista.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009

*** that's the same Mobo I have...

I still have hope that they will later do the bios update... for example, the M2N-E did not support anything past Phenom 9950 125W for a long time...
Now they finally made it support AM3 CPU's

But as you said, it would not make sense as the M3A78-EM and the M4A78-EM are pretty much the same.
Good motherboards overall, all solid caps unlike some of the more expensive M4A785's

loneninja

Distinguished

I've got the same situation with Biostar right now, they have like 8+ different AM2+ 790GX boards with different model numbers. The differences in the boards are very minor, only a few models have received a BIOS update since Athlon II was released, while the specific board I have and a few others haven't gotten updated.