New build is not posting

the head

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
I am not getting a post on my new PC

The new board powers up all fans function, when hard drives are hooked up they spool up

I have currently breadboxed the system and have just cpu, ram, psu hooked up when I take out the ram I get the beeps for missing ram when I install it I get no beeps but also no picture on my moniter

setup
RAM gskill 1 gb ddr2-1066
PSU rosewill rd400-2db
CPU AMD x240 2.8ghz dual core athelon II processor
MOBO Asus M4A78-E
HD 2 segate barracuda 1tb 7200 rpm drives
Lite-on Bluray drive

I have removed mobo from my tower and isolated on a anti static mat
reset CMOS
checked bios compatability
stripped down to just mobo, psu, cpu and I get teh no ram beeps from my system speaker add ram and restart and I get nothing
currently using the onboard video to eliminate a problem with the video card.

I am thinking the CPU is bad my asus manual has no beep code for no cpu and when I power it up without a cpu it does not beep

I built a system with the same mobo last week and it fired up without a problem any assistance is appriciated

illegalmonkey

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
I know you think not having a video card on there might help but have you actually tried putting a vid card on? How do you know for sure nothing comes up on the monitor? Maybe the onboard video is funky. Make sure you've just got the one stick of ram in there too, too many sticks off the bat can make it not start up also.

the head

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
have tried with two different outboard vid cards also, neither worked, just have one stick of ram in for troubleshooting purposes. the monitor is powered up and blank but it does reckognize that it is hooked up

illegalmonkey

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

either you meant PSU, per Twoboxer's comment, or you still need to try swapping PSU's :)

Hunter844

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I had a similar problem back in april with my asus build with amd. I couldn't figure it out but decided to try one last thing. That was to take the cpu out and redo it all...I did not see a problem with what I did but when I took time to redo the cpu installation and got back ready to fire it up and posted just fine and hasn't skipped a beat since.