G

hi all,

I recieved an alienware system back in july as a gift. It was loaded with a core i7950, 2 ati 4870x2's and 6 gigs of ram.
The memory is clocked at 1066.
Is there a huge difference between the systems they sell between 1600mhz memory bus vs 1066?

I didnt think there was for the big price difference?

are alienware systems any good..

im curious to see how well this sytem performs as far as benchmarks are concenred..
which is good benchmark software to use?

also, 6 gig of ram enough? should I go with 12?

thanks for any feedback

Rock_n_Rolla

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
Well, if you're planning a RAM upgrade from 1066 (your current) to 1600mhz,
It will definitely give you a much faster loading times when you're using your
apps and when playing games, just make sure the motherboard of your
Alienware supports it.

IMO, dont be too concerned about those benchies coz the spec of your
Alienware is good and fast really, specially you mentioned it's equipped with
two 4870 X2's. You can play all the latest games you like on thier highest
settings without experiencing any lags or glitch of whatsoever.
Enjoy it as it is and be proud with it Dude. :)

tecmo34

Administrator
You will notice a little difference between 1066 and 1600, specially if the 1066 has tighter timings, which has a greater impact. I won't worry too much about having 1066 RAM and if you get some extra spare money, you could upgrade down the road.

Alienware systems are not bad but they are GREAT when given as a gift!! :D

6GB of RAM is fine unless you do major CS4 / CAD work, which would benefit from 12GB. Normal/Gaming will not need more than 6GB.

A good benchmark tool is 3DMark Vantage to use for your system benchmarks.

100% agree. thats a mighty fine system you have and unless you have programs that are memory hogs then i wouldn't touch that system hardware for another year or 2.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Nehalem benefits more from tighter RAM timings than it does faster RAM speed, but even then it's really the domain of the benchmark for the difference to actually show.

Alienware systems are (usually) pretty solid systems so you could probably overclock your memory to compensate anyway and I don't think it'll void any warranties.

Then again they are Dell now so who knows.

Give Alienware a shout and see what they say, then come back to us for advice if you need it and want to do it.

TRENDING THREADS