Sign in with
Your question

Usb devices won't plug and play at the windows login screen

Last response: in Windows XP
February 23, 2012 8:23:37 PM

Here is my issue, might be a little long:
I got a newer computer(HP dc5750), but requires windows XP for a specific program that is needed. I do maintenance on the computers for this user. (I would reinstall the OS, but I don't want all his programs deleted)

At startup USB devices work, like mouse and printer, but when the windows login screen comes up the drivers aren't installed. I have to use a ps2 keyboard in order to log in. Once logged in, I can install USB devices through the install wizard. I am trying to make it so when USB devices are plugged in they will install in the background so users can log in with USB devices and not have to install them after they log in.

Here are some things I tried but didn't work for me:

I ran the following commands in the command prompt.
a. "reg.exe" add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR /v Start /t REG_DWORD /d "3" /f
b. "cacls.exe" %systemroot%\inf\usbstor.inf /e /c /r everyone
c. "cacls.exe" %systemroot%\inf\usbstor.pnf /e /c /r everyone

I checked
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion the item 'DevicePath' making sure it points to '%SystemRoot%\inf'.

deleted C:\WINDOWS\inf\infcache.1 so the OS could recreate it in case it was corrupted.

I checked the values for 'FactoryPreInstallInProgress' and 'AuditInProgress' are set to '0' in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup
and
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Factory

Any other ideas how to get drivers to actually be plug and play and not have to install them with the install hardware wizard?
February 24, 2012 6:28:34 PM

First enable SSDP and UPNP services for that user, try again.
m
l
February 24, 2012 6:29:34 PM

Noticed you used "Everyone" that is wrong, use the actual user name you are trying to get.
m
l
Related resources
!