mazenimad

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
HEY am new here..
found this forum to be very useful infact. :eek:
and i wished if it was a tad more useful for me to be certain lol

am building a new system
an i7 system
first of all found a used P6T-Deluxe motherboard with 2 weeks warranty and two weeks usage...
the new mobos are very out of my budget...
a new i7 920 processor is $238 around here...(live in UAE...Arabian Gulf i.e)

so would you recommend this used motherboard or should i go with a new one instead keeping in mind it has a 2 week warranty from the guy im buying from..1\2 the money back though :heink:

Secondly do u think triple channel is worth it?? or would dual sticks? the dual channel channel being 2x2GB ddr3 and the triple being 1x3gb DDR3...what do u think i should go with??

please bare with me :pt1cable:

thirdly
i have the options of 3 GPU's...that bug me alot....couldnt make up my mind for the past two weeks hehe

AMD Radeon HD 4890 OEM - $170
GeForce GTX 275 OEM - $170
Asus GeForce GTX 280 TOP retail - $230
all are used.

if you can recommend something for me along with the PSU wattage for each GPU...we dont have corsair or TT PSUs around here...the most well known is Epsilon and i heard they make the Corsair PSUs. so i think theyre great..?? if u have ny opinions

for reference ill be using this PC for architectural rendering (heavy) and medium gaming...RE5...NFSShift...L4D2...UT3 etc

Early appreciation for the HELP guys...

x58 motherboards with i7 920 processors use triple channel memory. Dual is not an option.

If you go with an i7 850 and a P55 motherboard then you use dual - triple is not an option.

That used motherboard deal sounds iffy to me. Its a brand new motherboard so why would he be giving it up if it was good?

The PSU wattage is as more dependent on how much you overclock and your GPU and other devices than the CPU. If there isnt much other than a GTX 275 and the i7 then a good 550Watt PSU would be fine. A good 700 Watt will handle a normal gaming system with dual graphics cards.

I would go with the 275. Its almost as fast as the 280 and uses less power. That 4890 is overpriced for used.

mazenimad

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009

i7 850 isnt an option for me ryt now because they arent out yet around here!!!
and am aware about the x58 triple channel memory and the p55 Duals...would sticking two 2GB sticks in an x58 be better than sticking three 1GB sticks?? the price is same??

and the motherboard deal sounded iffy to me too until i found out that the guy tests these hardwares and then lets them off for good prices?? plus he gets them shipped in, so his prices are good compared to what retailers charge us $350 for a new p6t deluxe and he charges $220? what do u reckon?

u helped me alot with the 700WATT...but would this help me overclock my cpu to like 3.8 or so of course with proper air cooling from zalman??
i dont think ill be dueling graphic cards anytime soon nor overclocking them (lack of knowledge) do u really think the gtx 275 is better?
really appreciate ur patience.

I dont think its possible to put two sticks of ram in an x58. They have to be put in by threes. You can do 3 or 6 GB, never 4.

If the motherboard is a legit deal, its a good deal.

THE GTX 280 is older, hotter and uses more power than a 285. The 275 is only 5-10% slower than a 285. The 4890 should sell for 15% less than a 275.

Those Wattages leave room for overclocking, but wattages is not everything. A cheap PSU that delivers inconsistent or low voltages will cause you immeasurable grief so get a good brand.

mazenimad

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
275 it is then...
and ill take your word for PSU's..

simple noob question if u may?? how do i knw if the motherboard or RAM sticks (if theyre used) have been used badly or wrongly??
ny ideas??

The i7 920 CAN run RAM in dual channel mode. Just like a motherboard designed to run RAM in dual channel can run it in single channel. You just lose a little performance. I would go with the 2x2GB setup if you'll be using a 64-bit OS. The 3x1GB setup would be best if you're going with a 32-bit OS since it can't fully use 4GB anyway.

mazenimad

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2009
nice one man...ill be using the 64-bit OS since programs i am using are 64-bit..ill have a better chance to upgrade an extra chip maybe later...ny thoughts on the question about how can i tell if the mobo or ram sticks are no good?? if they are used of course?? couldnt find an answer to this one elsewhere, hope i do here.

The new motherboards need low voltage ram (1.5-1.65 volt) not the 1.7-1.9volt ram. Be careful what you get.

The only way to know if ram is good is to install it and run a testing program to load them and see if they fail.