Do I even need an After Market CPU Cooler?

kyleamos12

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Title says it all Do I even need an After Market CPU Cooler?

I have a 'Phenom II 955 Quad Core Black Edition'. I don't Over Clock (I might try it, but won't be doing anything near average will be low stuff) because I don't have any need to. Will the stock cooler work fine? It hasn't come in yet bought it a few days ago. If not should I get the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099 ? Just need some Pro, opinions :)

Solution
The standard HSF's aren't meant to handle overclocking. Seeing as how you have the 955 though, I be so bold as to say that you should be able to go to about 3.5GHz~3.6GHz before the cooler will start to act up. Still, the 212 Evo is an excellent cooler, runs quieter than the stock HSF and will definitely decrease overall CPU temps, overclocked or not. I would still get the cooler, if I had the money and the choice was mine.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
The standard HSF's aren't meant to handle overclocking. Seeing as how you have the 955 though, I be so bold as to say that you should be able to go to about 3.5GHz~3.6GHz before the cooler will start to act up. Still, the 212 Evo is an excellent cooler, runs quieter than the stock HSF and will definitely decrease overall CPU temps, overclocked or not. I would still get the cooler, if I had the money and the choice was mine.

Solution

kire

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Short Answer: No.

Longer Answer: Read what Toxxyc wrote :p After market will run quieter and cooler, but if you're okay with the noise and slightly higher temps then you could just save the money and keep the stock HSF