Stuck With a Wierd PC Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumpltumpskin

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
i usually build my own but a friend asked me to find a PC for him to buy and i wanted him to have some kind of tech support and full warranty so i recommended cyberpowerpc which i had always heard good things about. this has turned out to be a total nightmare.

the price was right. he paid $633US with free UPS ground for:

MSI 770-G45
AthlonTII X4 630
Radeon HD 5750 1GB
4g Corsair XMS DDR3/1600MHz
250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
600w generic PSU
AXP 600 case
+ speakers, mouse, back-lit keyboard, multi flashcard reader, nice LG disc drive and BattleForge which is a pretty good game if your into that kind of thing.

sad part is that the price was the only thing that was right:( it took 2 weeks for the delivery. when i asked on the website's live chat what the wait was about they said that it was due to the "quality assurance testing" but when i got it there were a couple of screws and a plate from the cpu's heat sink rattling around inside and also the video card! its power cord was plugged in the back but it was out of its slot that has a manual release like all pci express slots which means whomever put it together just let it lay in there to save the 10 seconds it would have taken to install it right.

i wish that was the worst part but the real problem is that i cannot get the damn thing to post even though the motherboard has power. all fans come on but that's it. there is also no beeping or any kind of tone even when i remove everything but the PSU connections.

i reset the CMOS and tried another video card first with no luck. then i called tech support at the dealer and MSI both of whom told me to RMA the motherboard but i didn't want to leave my friend without a computer indefinitely so i put some more time into it.

i pulled the MoBo and replaced it with and old Abit socket 939 which i had collecting dust on a shelf. i got the same result, power but no post. then i figured it must be a problem with the PSU connection to the CPU so i went out and bought a new corsair TX750 power supply (which looks like a hydra's head btw with the dozen cables coming out of it) and still no change.

so then i tried hooking up both boards out of the case with essentials only attached: video card, cpu, ram, and the front panel case connectors (power SW, power LED +/- and HDD LED). still no luck.

there is no visible damage to either motherboard and i don't know what the chances are that both are damaged in the same way but i'm out of ideas. if anyone has any suggestions i'll be very grateful.

Solution
Seriously, if the thing arrived in the mail screwed up and you couldn't get it to turn on, why the hell are you even messing with it instead of sending it back immediately and demanding a new one.

From what you described, odds are pretty good that both the video card and motherboard are , by way of the video card coming loose and wrecking itself while it banged around inside the case, and in the process putting a bunch of little chips and dings in the motherboard, and maybe knocking some transistors off as an added bonus. In that situation, the only combination of parts that would work is the 939 motherboard with the "other" video card; everything else will give you a dead machine.

Just quit messing with it before you do something...
Seriously, if the thing arrived in the mail screwed up and you couldn't get it to turn on, why the hell are you even messing with it instead of sending it back immediately and demanding a new one.

From what you described, odds are pretty good that both the video card and motherboard are , by way of the video card coming loose and wrecking itself while it banged around inside the case, and in the process putting a bunch of little chips and dings in the motherboard, and maybe knocking some transistors off as an added bonus. In that situation, the only combination of parts that would work is the 939 motherboard with the "other" video card; everything else will give you a dead machine.

Just quit messing with it before you do something that gives them an excuse to void the warranty, and send the damn thing back already.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.