Sign in with
Your question

SD card recovery problem

Last response: in Storage
July 16, 2011 6:23:33 AM

Hi first off all i want to introduce myself to the community of tomshardware ; HI!!

ok so now to the business.

a friend of mine gave me a 2 GB SD card to recover some files. but it has a few problems

1. after format it says there is 800MB free of 800MB
2. i used like 5 recovery programs but no one worked. including get data back fot FAT.

So what i think is that there is a other partition hidden with the photos that is 1.2 GB

what do you guys think ??

More about : card recovery problem

a b G Storage
July 16, 2011 4:12:28 PM

As far as I know, Windows does not allow you to create multiple partitions on a removable device. I believe there can only be one partition (the primary) on removable devices.
a b G Storage
July 16, 2011 5:16:58 PM

run cmd as admin and go:

diskpart

list volume (find the volume of your sd card)

select volume n (n being the volume number)

extend

exit
Related resources
July 17, 2011 6:12:11 AM

Pyree said:
run cmd as admin and go:

diskpart

list volume (find the volume of your sd card)

select volume n (n being the volume number)

extend

exit

didn't work. there is not enough space ***

so what do you think it's like the SD card got 2 partitons one 1.2GB and the other 800MB
i made like 5 recovery programs on the 800MB one but no results.
the files are probably on the 1.2GB partiton
a b G Storage
July 17, 2011 7:32:59 AM

If there is another volume in the card, you will see it in the volume list. If you cannot find another volume, I am not sure what is going on. Anyway, try using sd formatter:

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

If you haven't try that already.
July 17, 2011 2:55:04 PM

"after format it says there is 800MB free of 800MB"

After format???? What exactly was done from the moment your friend realized he had a problem. Formatting is never an option when trying to recover files. If the size of the SD card is reading wrong this is usually a fatal sign.
July 17, 2011 4:23:44 PM

turk_1000 said:
"after format it says there is 800MB free of 800MB"

After format???? What exactly was done from the moment your friend realized he had a problem. Formatting is never an option when trying to recover files. If the size of the SD card is reading wrong this is usually a fatal sign.

he took it to a "professional" shop here ; northern Iraq because it was corrupted so they did a format and after that a recovery. that didn't work out so he gave it to me.
were i did a recovery too . with many different programs. after the recovery i did also a format.

and with the sd format tool it says also 845MB so a increase of 45MB but still to low

September 6, 2011 4:57:35 AM

Hi Sarkout, if card is low formatted then none of the recovery software will be helpful. You can try out the demo version of Stellar Phoenix, hope it might get you some pictures. But I am not sure, if it does then please let us know.
October 19, 2012 5:41:24 AM

I am not exactly know what's going on with your SD card. But i have ever encountered SD card recovery problem and i tried iCare Data Recovery Free and Recuva, which were recommended by my friends. And fortunately, they had restored all my pictures there. So, i hope they can help you, too.
And, by the way,I also searched a text that about the data recovery, which was useful for me to learn more knowledge about it.You perhaps need it .
November 30, 2013 2:45:14 AM

Hi, it seems that some space was hidden for some reason. How do you connect the SD card to computer? You may try to use a card reader if you didnt do so yet. Read more about card reader from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_reader

A card reader is quite cheap, around $2 on ebay or amazon. You can search the type suitable for your sd card.

For the data recovery, I'd recommended that you use some sd card data recovery software, you may follow this step by step tutorial which is very helpful: http://goo.gl/jDP4iL

Another thing you can try is to scan the memory card with some god anti virus software. It seems like virus behavior which may cause files to be hidden. You can download this one
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-ess...

!