SD card recovery problem

Tags:
  • Flash Media
  • Data Recovery
  • SD Card
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
July 16, 2011 6:23:33 AM

Hi first off all i want to introduce myself to the community of tomshardware ; HI!!

ok so now to the business.

a friend of mine gave me a 2 GB SD card to recover some files. but it has a few problems

1. after format it says there is 800MB free of 800MB
2. i used like 5 recovery programs but no one worked. including get data back fot FAT.

So what i think is that there is a other partition hidden with the photos that is 1.2 GB

what do you guys think ??

More about : card recovery problem

a b G Storage
July 16, 2011 4:12:28 PM

As far as I know, Windows does not allow you to create multiple partitions on a removable device. I believe there can only be one partition (the primary) on removable devices.
m
l
a b G Storage
July 16, 2011 5:16:58 PM

run cmd as admin and go:

diskpart

list volume (find the volume of your sd card)

select volume n (n being the volume number)

extend

exit
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 17, 2011 6:12:11 AM

Pyree said:
run cmd as admin and go:

diskpart

list volume (find the volume of your sd card)

select volume n (n being the volume number)

extend

exit

didn't work. there is not enough space ***

so what do you think it's like the SD card got 2 partitons one 1.2GB and the other 800MB
i made like 5 recovery programs on the 800MB one but no results.
the files are probably on the 1.2GB partiton
m
l
a b G Storage
July 17, 2011 7:32:59 AM

If there is another volume in the card, you will see it in the volume list. If you cannot find another volume, I am not sure what is going on. Anyway, try using sd formatter:

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

If you haven't try that already.
m
l
July 17, 2011 2:55:04 PM

"after format it says there is 800MB free of 800MB"

After format???? What exactly was done from the moment your friend realized he had a problem. Formatting is never an option when trying to recover files. If the size of the SD card is reading wrong this is usually a fatal sign.
m
l
July 17, 2011 4:23:44 PM

turk_1000 said:
"after format it says there is 800MB free of 800MB"

After format???? What exactly was done from the moment your friend realized he had a problem. Formatting is never an option when trying to recover files. If the size of the SD card is reading wrong this is usually a fatal sign.

he took it to a "professional" shop here ; northern Iraq because it was corrupted so they did a format and after that a recovery. that didn't work out so he gave it to me.
were i did a recovery too . with many different programs. after the recovery i did also a format.

and with the sd format tool it says also 845MB so a increase of 45MB but still to low

m
l