SD card recovery problem

Hi first off all i want to introduce myself to the community of tomshardware ; HI!!

ok so now to the business.

a friend of mine gave me a 2 GB SD card to recover some files. but it has a few problems

1. after format it says there is 800MB free of 800MB
2. i used like 5 recovery programs but no one worked. including get data back fot FAT.

So what i think is that there is a other partition hidden with the photos that is 1.2 GB

what do you guys think ??
6 answers Last reply
More about card recovery problem
  1. As far as I know, Windows does not allow you to create multiple partitions on a removable device. I believe there can only be one partition (the primary) on removable devices.
  2. run cmd as admin and go:

diskpart

list volume (find the volume of your sd card)

select volume n (n being the volume number)

extend

exit
  3. Pyree said:
    run cmd as admin and go:

diskpart

list volume (find the volume of your sd card)

select volume n (n being the volume number)

extend

exit

didn't work. there is not enough space ***

so what do you think it's like the SD card got 2 partitons one 1.2GB and the other 800MB
    i made like 5 recovery programs on the 800MB one but no results.
    the files are probably on the 1.2GB partiton
  4. If there is another volume in the card, you will see it in the volume list. If you cannot find another volume, I am not sure what is going on. Anyway, try using sd formatter:

http://www.sdcard.org/consumers/formatter_3/

If you haven't try that already.
  5. "after format it says there is 800MB free of 800MB"

After format???? What exactly was done from the moment your friend realized he had a problem. Formatting is never an option when trying to recover files. If the size of the SD card is reading wrong this is usually a fatal sign.
  6. turk_1000 said:
    "after format it says there is 800MB free of 800MB"

After format???? What exactly was done from the moment your friend realized he had a problem. Formatting is never an option when trying to recover files. If the size of the SD card is reading wrong this is usually a fatal sign.

he took it to a "professional" shop here ; northern Iraq because it was corrupted so they did a format and after that a recovery. that didn't work out so he gave it to me.
    were i did a recovery too . with many different programs. after the recovery i did also a format.

and with the sd format tool it says also 845MB so a increase of 45MB but still to low
Ask a new question

Read More

Flash Media Data Recovery SD Card Storage