Sign in with
Your question

Modular PSU 600-800W

Last response: in Components
December 6, 2009 6:34:51 PM

I need help to choose a modular psu,min 600, max 800.
i checked the Corsair ones.i can't really make my mind up,so help me to find somthing!
Cheers

More about : modular psu 600 800w

December 6, 2009 6:42:49 PM

I just bought this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... its a OCZ ModXStream 600 Watt PSU, I got it at 59.99 with a 30 dollar mail in rebate so thats a big reason for my choice. I liked the ones ultra was selling at tigerdirect which were FULLY MODULAR which no one else sells that ive seen meaning that the 24pin connector was also modular along with every single other connector, but they dont sell anything between 450 and 850 and 450 is too little and the 850 is overpriced so forget that. I do like this corsair one though - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 6, 2009 8:28:24 PM

Seasonic has two brand new all modular power supplies that earned 80+ Gold Certifications for energy efficiency across a very wide operating range.

One is the Seasonic X650 Gold. The other is the Seasonic X750 Gold:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Seasonic has a reputation for manufacturing high quality power supplies. They consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are stable, reliable, and come with an extended warranty.

Here is a link to a technical review of the new X650:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...
Related resources
December 6, 2009 9:37:23 PM

as an alternative to the Seasonic (amazing PSU)

could also look at the Corsair 650HX ~$140, its not totally modular and is only 80+ Silver, though about $60 cheaper

Corsair 650HX
December 6, 2009 10:41:13 PM

i have a corsair hx750. brilliant PSU. id recomend it.

i dont know why anyone wants a 'full' modular PSU. since the 24 pin connector HAS to be used, making it modular seems like a waste of time, as well as adding more fault points...

whatever floats yer boat though.
December 6, 2009 11:11:28 PM

Since Seasonic manufactures the Corsair psu, it's sort of redundant to recommend one over the other. With that having been ssid, I use and suggest to you the Corsair 650HX. Great psu and works fantastic. You can read a review at johnnyguru.com. Good luck with your search.
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 7, 2009 12:33:37 AM

janxta - Seasonic used to make Corsair power supplies. Corsair has switched to other manfuacturers for some of their models.
a c 136 ) Power supply
December 7, 2009 1:01:11 AM

welshmousepk said:
i dont know why anyone wants a 'full' modular PSU. since the 24 pin connector HAS to be used, making it modular seems like a waste of time, as well as adding more fault points...

I'm w/ you bud. Hybrid Modular PSU is "da way 2 go".

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/power-supplies-psu,801...

Despite modular power supplies being a hot product, don't be quick to grab the up-take. The companies we spoke to told us that modular power supplies are less efficient than those that have their cables hard-wired. The reason being that the extra connection you make, adds resistance, and hence, increases heat and reduces efficiency.

Enermax, Seasonic, and Corsair all told us that if you're looking to maximize efficiency, go for a non-modular PSU.

Are the differences great? No one gave us any hard numbers, but they did indicate that the numbers are measurable. PC Power & Cooling, now part of OCZ, says the same thing:

Due to their look, convenience, and cost savings for manufacturers, modular plugs have become a popular power supply feature. Unfortunately, there has been little or no discussion of the impact of this feature on overall performance and reliability. The fact is, modular plugs limit power by adding to electrical resistance. The voltage drop can be as much as would occur in 2 feet of standard wire. Worse yet, modular plugs utilize delicate pins that can easily loosen, corrode, and burn, creating the potential for a major system failure. That's why professional system builders specify uninterrupted wire!

Again, the differences might not be "great" but they are along the line of what you will measure electrically between a $129 and a $229 PSU. Don't see the logic of having a disconnectable wire which can never be disconnected.
a c 136 ) Power supply
December 7, 2009 1:09:50 AM

damian86 said:
I need help to choose a modular psu,min 600, max 800.
i checked the Corsair ones.i can't really make my mind up,so help me to find somthing!
Cheers

1. Start w/ the lists here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

2. Then get a second opinion here:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/

Electrically, the best in the 650 - 850 range are:

Antec Signature 650 and 850
Seasonic X-650
Seasonic M12D 850W
Antec CP-850
Corsair HX 620/650/850*

The Corsair HX's get an asterisk for being a bit noisier but electrically are the equal of the others.

Next in line...

SilverStone Decathlon DA700
Coolermaster Silent Pro M700W
Corsair TX650/750/850
Antec TP / TPX Series
December 7, 2009 1:22:11 AM

The Corsair 750Tx is built by Channel Well Technology and has high end components, may be the better choice for future upgrading of other components. Having fun yet?
December 7, 2009 1:24:59 AM

My bad, typo, meant 750HX and on with the fun lol.
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 7, 2009 2:38:47 AM

Jack - this is a little off subject but.....

Have you run across any type of stats indicating what the cost savings for users might be with a hardwired psu versus a modular psu? I know PC Power and Cooling says the difference is measureable but they don't provide any facts or figures. I'm beginning to wonder why the manufacturers and vendors are not providing any stats. What do they know that they aren't telling consumers?
December 7, 2009 2:15:54 PM

Having a modular PSU will help you anytime you'd want to clean your computer,sort the cables out again,if you made changes to your system.
Let me add that if a modular PSU has been built and tested properly,we shouldn't have efficiency issues.
December 7, 2009 3:15:54 PM

Thanks for your post. pretty good.
I kinda like the Corsair HX750 amd the Seasonic 650,(i didn't find it on the website i'm buying from.)
I don't know why they say corsairs are noisy,it can't be that bad. HX750 is an award winner.
what do you think?
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 7, 2009 3:43:27 PM

Noise is relative. Not everyone hears things the same or thinks of noise the same way. One person's quiet pc is another person's jet fighter on take-off.
December 7, 2009 4:21:24 PM

JohnnyLucky said:

Have you run across any type of stats indicating what the cost savings for users might be with a hardwired psu versus a modular psu? I know PC Power and Cooling says the difference is measureable but they don't provide any facts or figures. I'm beginning to wonder why the manufacturers and vendors are not providing any stats. What do they know that they aren't telling consumers?

Wouldn't this loss in efficiency (assuming it exists) be apparent in their ratings? Example... if there is a loss in efficiency by going modular, you'd think that no modular PSUs would score the highest 80Plus rating. My PSU has its main ATX connectors hard wired, but all of the ones feeding my components (video card included) are modular... the 80Plus tests have these PSUs under a certain load so surely they're not just testing what's going through the ATX connector.
a c 248 ) Power supply
December 7, 2009 10:34:33 PM

rodney - I went over to newegg to take a look at power supplies that earned the 80+ Gold Certification. Newegg has a new search feature which allows people to view psu's by energy efficiency. I was able to look at all of them on one page. All of the Gold certified power supplies were modular except for two models offered by OCZ which is the parent company of PC Power & Cooling. I went to the OCZ web site to see if they stuck to hardwired psu's only. I found a good selection of OCZ modular power supplies. Go figure!

I guess it must be a business decision. Modular psu's cost a little bit less to produce but command a higher price which makes them more profitable. Throw in an 80+ Gold Certification for good measure coupled with a "perceived convenience" with modular connections and you've got a winner.

I do see one situation where modular power supplies have a very clear advantage - small pc cases.

I haven't seen any articles or reports indicating there is some sort of serious problem or even a minor problem with high quality modular psu's. It's always the low budget, low quality psu's of questionable performance and value that are a problem.
December 7, 2009 10:45:18 PM

It really does seem like some sort of artificial market segmentation... making cables modular can't add more than a dollar to the cost of the unit. I'm curious... why do you say the modular ones cost less? That seems backwards to me, but I'm far from an expert on the topic.

Although the HX serious uses higher quality components than the TX line, the sole reason I went with the HX series of Corsair PSUs was for the modular cables. The higher quality components were just an added perk for me. I guess their marketing people are onto something. Eventually modular cables will work their way down to all PSUs I think.

The backside of my case is incredibly cramped with cables... so having a few less to tuck away was a god-send for me.

I think a PSU should be around 10% of the system cost... obviously there is some room for higher or lower... but if your PSU is like 3% of your system cost... well, it just seems like you'd need to rethink your build/priorities.

a c 248 ) Power supply
December 7, 2009 11:18:16 PM

PSU Manufacturers indicated modular connections are slightly less expensive than hardwiring. I don't know why, how, or the actual cost savings.
December 8, 2009 4:12:01 AM

a total guess, but i would assume its cheaper to create modular PSUs simply becasue the production can be further broken into stages.

the cables can be mass produced seperatly, and bundled in later. instead of having to be created and hardwired during production.

i can only assume that would make some pretty good savings during production. but of course, if people will pay more for it then they will charge more for it.
a c 136 ) Power supply
December 11, 2009 12:19:46 AM

JohnnyLucky said:

The fact that they say "2 feet of wire" instead of what it is tells me the numbers aren't going to impress anyone.

My thinking is simply that the difference between a $124 PSU and a $224 PSU, the differences are just as marginal. Are they gonna make anything blow up ? I doubt it except in rare cases. But, OTOH, will I have a more stable system because my voltages are more stable because of the better connections....yeah, I can see that.

You gonna use two GFX cards and mild OC.....the 2nd tier PSU's and all modular shouldn't matter to you.

You care whether a stable OC costs you an extra 0.1 in CPU voltage or whether you BSOD once and a while at 4.0 GHz ? Then I think you spend the extra hundred and look for hardwired rather than modular MoBo cables.
!