Which is the glitch?

Last response: in Video Games
September 2, 2005 5:13:46 PM

So, after work the Nanny, Sophie, said "Now I'm done would you like to hang
out?" and Lazlo Curious said yes. But then she wouldn't leave. For a week.
She stood in one place and slept standing up eventually. She wasn't dying of
hunger.....she was well and truly "stuck". The family hired another Nanny.
Tried to set fire to Sophie but she wouldn't "catch" (despite being
surrounded by 8 burning coffee tables). So I decided to exit. Couldn't.
Save, Neighbourhood and Exit were all greyed out. So I tried the moveObjects
cheat and deleted her. Still couldn't get out of the lot. Ended up having
hit Ctrl Alt Delete.

So, which was the glitch?

(Needless to say, as it was unsaved the alien child is lost and I have to
start over.)

--
Melanie

Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert.

More about : glitch

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 11:30:09 PM

"Melanie Boxall" <melanie.boxall@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> So, after work the Nanny, Sophie, said "Now I'm done would you like to
> hang out?" and Lazlo Curious said yes. But then she wouldn't leave. For a
> week. She stood in one place and slept standing up eventually. She wasn't
> dying of hunger.....she was well and truly "stuck". The family hired
> another Nanny. Tried to set fire to Sophie but she wouldn't "catch"
> (despite being surrounded by 8 burning coffee tables). So I decided to
> exit. Couldn't. Save, Neighbourhood and Exit were all greyed out. So I
> tried the moveObjects cheat and deleted her. Still couldn't get out of the
> lot. Ended up having hit Ctrl Alt Delete.
>
> So, which was the glitch?
>
> (Needless to say, as it was unsaved the alien child is lost and I have to
> start over.)
>
> --
> Melanie
>
> Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert.

My daughter had a similar, but a bit different glitch in her game last
night. With hers I think it was because she killed off all the adults. She
killed the mother and the father and the social worker came and took the
baby. The odd thing was, after the social worker came, the house buttons
greyed out, including save and neighborhood, and the only way out was
ctrl-alt-del. Even weirder, when I exited the game through emergency exit
and she went to play this morning, the house was empty like it was after
everyone died. She moved in a new family, invited all the neighbors using a
hacked mailbox, but when she shooed everyone away, all the grownups left,
leaving the 3 neighborhood babies on the lawn. We couldn't get anyone to
get them so I typed in the moveobjects ealier and forgot to off it, and she
used that to delete the babies. Go figure. I'm as curious as you to figure
out the glitch. Very odd. For me, I'm thinking it's something to do with
some of the hacks. The grown ups were killed using kill option instead of
tombstone of life and death.

HH

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 11:30:10 PM

Yes, I do see what you mean, but I used NO hacks. Only Maxis stuff. I know
the game is infamous for its glitches, but I do like it when I know what bit
to avid!

--

"Happy Homemaker29" <pcorbett1@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message

> "Melanie Boxall" <melanie.boxall@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> So, after work the Nanny, Sophie, said "Now I'm done would you like to
>> hang out?" and Lazlo Curious said yes. But then she wouldn't leave. For a
>> week. She stood in one place and slept standing up eventually. She wasn't
>> dying of hunger.....she was well and truly "stuck". The family hired
>> another Nanny. Tried to set fire to Sophie but she wouldn't "catch"
>> (despite being surrounded by 8 burning coffee tables). So I decided to
>> exit. Couldn't. Save, Neighbourhood and Exit were all greyed out. So I
>> tried the moveObjects cheat and deleted her. Still couldn't get out of
>> the lot. Ended up having hit Ctrl Alt Delete.
>>
>> So, which was the glitch?
>>
>> (Needless to say, as it was unsaved the alien child is lost and I have to
>> start over.)
>>
>> --
>> Melanie
>>
>> Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert.
>

> My daughter had a similar, but a bit different glitch in her game last
> night. With hers I think it was because she killed off all the adults.
> She killed the mother and the father and the social worker came and took
> the baby. The odd thing was, after the social worker came, the house
> buttons greyed out, including save and neighborhood, and the only way out
> was ctrl-alt-del. Even weirder, when I exited the game through emergency
> exit and she went to play this morning, the house was empty like it was
> after everyone died. She moved in a new family, invited all the neighbors
> using a hacked mailbox, but when she shooed everyone away, all the
> grownups left, leaving the 3 neighborhood babies on the lawn. We couldn't
> get anyone to get them so I typed in the moveobjects ealier and forgot to
> off it, and she used that to delete the babies. Go figure. I'm as
> curious as you to figure out the glitch. Very odd. For me, I'm thinking
> it's something to do with some of the hacks. The grown ups were killed
> using kill option instead of tombstone of life and death.
>
> HH

September 3, 2005 5:24:03 AM

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 13:13:46 -0400, "Melanie Boxall"
<melanie.boxall@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>So, after work the Nanny, Sophie, said "Now I'm done would you like to hang
>out?" and Lazlo Curious said yes. But then she wouldn't leave. For a week.
>She stood in one place and slept standing up eventually. She wasn't dying of
>hunger.....she was well and truly "stuck". The family hired another Nanny.
>Tried to set fire to Sophie but she wouldn't "catch" (despite being
>surrounded by 8 burning coffee tables). So I decided to exit. Couldn't.
>Save, Neighbourhood and Exit were all greyed out. So I tried the moveObjects
>cheat and deleted her. Still couldn't get out of the lot. Ended up having
>hit Ctrl Alt Delete.
>
>So, which was the glitch?

No idea... sounds like a serious error. Maybe the build and buy froze
because she was the only adult on the lot and wasnt there and the
social worker was on the way, but because she wasnt really dead,
couldnt come, or it was the reaper... is it possible you could have
killed her with debug cheats? Did you try CTRL+ALT+C and expand the
window and look at the error message?
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 5:24:04 AM

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 01:24:03 +0200, Guardian Pegasus
<nobody@nowhere.xxx> wrote:

>On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 13:13:46 -0400, "Melanie Boxall"
><melanie.boxall@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>>So, after work the Nanny, Sophie, said "Now I'm done would you like to hang
>>out?" and Lazlo Curious said yes. But then she wouldn't leave. For a week.
>>She stood in one place and slept standing up eventually. She wasn't dying of
>>hunger.....she was well and truly "stuck". The family hired another Nanny.
>>Tried to set fire to Sophie but she wouldn't "catch" (despite being
>>surrounded by 8 burning coffee tables). So I decided to exit. Couldn't.
>>Save, Neighbourhood and Exit were all greyed out. So I tried the moveObjects
>>cheat and deleted her. Still couldn't get out of the lot. Ended up having
>>hit Ctrl Alt Delete.
>>
>>So, which was the glitch?
>
>No idea... sounds like a serious error. Maybe the build and buy froze
>because she was the only adult on the lot and wasnt there and the
>social worker was on the way, but because she wasnt really dead,
>couldnt come, or it was the reaper... is it possible you could have
>killed her with debug cheats? Did you try CTRL+ALT+C and expand the
>window and look at the error message?

I had something similar happen a while back (With no hacks installed,
btw!) The two parents died in a horrible fire. One child who overslept
and missed the school bus was taken away by the social worker. Buttons
remained greyed out, even after other 2 kids got home from school, so
I couldn't do anything with them.

(It was interesting watching them devolve, though. They started
attacking each other! Thank god they had the little kiddie stove or
they would have starved!)
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 5:24:04 AM

Well the error message screen came up automatically the first time I tried
moveObjects because I spelled (well typoed really) it wrong (fat fingers)
and so I saw the error list, but every single line was referring to sound
errors. But build and buy didn't freeze in fact, only the ways out of the
lot. Go figure eh?

--

> On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 13:13:46 -0400, "Melanie Boxall"
> <melanie.boxall@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
>>So, after work the Nanny, Sophie, said "Now I'm done would you like to
>>hang
>>out?" and Lazlo Curious said yes. But then she wouldn't leave. For a week.
>>She stood in one place and slept standing up eventually. She wasn't dying
>>of
>>hunger.....she was well and truly "stuck". The family hired another Nanny.
>>Tried to set fire to Sophie but she wouldn't "catch" (despite being
>>surrounded by 8 burning coffee tables). So I decided to exit. Couldn't.
>>Save, Neighbourhood and Exit were all greyed out. So I tried the
>>moveObjects
>>cheat and deleted her. Still couldn't get out of the lot. Ended up having
>>hit Ctrl Alt Delete.
>>
>>So, which was the glitch?
>
> No idea... sounds like a serious error. Maybe the build and buy froze
> because she was the only adult on the lot and wasnt there and the
> social worker was on the way, but because she wasnt really dead,
> couldnt come, or it was the reaper... is it possible you could have
> killed her with debug cheats? Did you try CTRL+ALT+C and expand the
> window and look at the error message?
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 5:40:17 AM

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:36:21 GMT, Greg P
<curly@removethis.insightbb.com> wrote:

>btw!) The two parents died in a horrible fire. One child who overslept
>and missed the school bus was taken away by the social worker. Buttons
>remained greyed out, even after other 2 kids got home from school, so
>I couldn't do anything with them.

There used to be a social worker bug, but it was supposedly fixed with
Uni and patch.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 8:23:56 AM

The social worker IS a bug in my opinion. Pain in the
arse.....................

--

> On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 23:36:21 GMT, Greg P
> <curly@removethis.insightbb.com> wrote:
>
>>btw!) The two parents died in a horrible fire. One child who overslept
>>and missed the school bus was taken away by the social worker. Buttons
>>remained greyed out, even after other 2 kids got home from school, so
>>I couldn't do anything with them.
>
> There used to be a social worker bug, but it was supposedly fixed with
> Uni and patch.
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 3:07:53 PM

Annoying - I'm guessing the problem is the child. The interactions with
babies can be very buggy if you try to cancel them or if two sims try to do
something with the child at the same time. The one who looses out gets
stuck with an incomplete action and no icon in their queue to cancel and let
them move on. And they just stand there doing nothing, unable to move.
Also NPCs can spell trouble and the nanny is particularly notorious. I have
a hack that decreases the desire of sims to interfere with the baby but I
still occasionally have a problem like this. The only way I've ever solved
it is to use moveObjects on and delete the baby, save and exit to the
NEIGHBOURHOOD (don't exit the game), go back in the lot immediately and you
should find the baby beside the mailbox having been reset.

The greying out of the buttons is meant to be some kind safety feature I
think, meant to prevent you saving a buggy lot. You need to try and deal
with the problem before that happens (you played on for quite some time, I
think). If the buttons are already greyed out then I think that means the
situation is unrecoverable.

Best wishes
maxon

"Melanie Boxall" <melanie.boxall@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> So, after work the Nanny, Sophie, said "Now I'm done would you like to
hang
> out?" and Lazlo Curious said yes. But then she wouldn't leave. For a week.
> She stood in one place and slept standing up eventually. She wasn't dying
of
> hunger.....she was well and truly "stuck". The family hired another Nanny.
> Tried to set fire to Sophie but she wouldn't "catch" (despite being
> surrounded by 8 burning coffee tables). So I decided to exit. Couldn't.
> Save, Neighbourhood and Exit were all greyed out. So I tried the
moveObjects
> cheat and deleted her. Still couldn't get out of the lot. Ended up having
> hit Ctrl Alt Delete.
>
> So, which was the glitch?
>
> (Needless to say, as it was unsaved the alien child is lost and I have to
> start over.)
>
> --
> Melanie
>
> Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert.

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 3:07:53 PM

The buttons are supposed to grey out when the social worker comes - but it
sounds like they stayed greyed out after she left. That's a bug that's been
noted before and I thought it had been dealt with by the patch but if you
have university installed it can't be that because the patch came with the
EP.

Best wishes
maxon

"Happy Homemaker29" <pcorbett1@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message

> My daughter had a similar, but a bit different glitch in her game last
> night. With hers I think it was because she killed off all the adults.
She
> killed the mother and the father and the social worker came and took the
> baby. The odd thing was, after the social worker came, the house buttons
> greyed out, including save and neighborhood, and the only way out was
> ctrl-alt-del. Even weirder, when I exited the game through emergency exit
> and she went to play this morning, the house was empty like it was after
> everyone died. She moved in a new family, invited all the neighbors using
> hacked mailbox, but when she shooed everyone away, all the grownups left,
> leaving the 3 neighborhood babies on the lawn. We couldn't get anyone to
> get them so I typed in the moveobjects ealier and forgot to off it, and
she
> used that to delete the babies. Go figure. I'm as curious as you to
figure
> out the glitch. Very odd. For me, I'm thinking it's something to do with
> some of the hacks. The grown ups were killed using kill option instead of
> tombstone of life and death.
>
> HH
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 5:42:53 PM

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 04:23:56 -0400, "Melanie Boxall"
<melanie.boxall@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>The social worker IS a bug in my opinion. Pain in the
>arse.....................

You can get rid of her with a global hack. But now NL is coming out
soon, so better to remove the hacks and download when they're updated
:-)
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 6:37:45 PM

Maxon wrote:
> The buttons are supposed to grey out when the social worker comes - but it
> sounds like they stayed greyed out after she left. That's a bug that's been
> noted before and I thought it had been dealt with by the patch but if you
> have university installed it can't be that because the patch came with the
> EP.
>
> Best wishes
> maxon

IIRC, there are several hacked items out there that include "re-enable
game save" among their menu choices. One of them is the voodoo bottle,
I think. I know there are others. I *think* the Inseminator does that
also. And it is part of the testingCheatsEnabled thing too.

Jeanie

> "Happy Homemaker29" <pcorbett1@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>
>>My daughter had a similar, but a bit different glitch in her game last
>>night. With hers I think it was because she killed off all the adults.
>
> She
>
>>killed the mother and the father and the social worker came and took the
>>baby. The odd thing was, after the social worker came, the house buttons
>>greyed out, including save and neighborhood, and the only way out was
>>ctrl-alt-del. Even weirder, when I exited the game through emergency exit
>>and she went to play this morning, the house was empty like it was after
>>everyone died. She moved in a new family, invited all the neighbors using

>>hacked mailbox, but when she shooed everyone away, all the grownups left,
>>leaving the 3 neighborhood babies on the lawn. We couldn't get anyone to
>>get them so I typed in the moveobjects ealier and forgot to off it, and
>
> she
>
>>used that to delete the babies. Go figure. I'm as curious as you to
>
> figure
>
>>out the glitch. Very odd. For me, I'm thinking it's something to do with
>>some of the hacks. The grown ups were killed using kill option instead of
>>tombstone of life and death.
>>
>>HH

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 6:39:09 PM

Melanie Boxall wrote:
> The social worker IS a bug in my opinion. Pain in the
> arse.....................

I have never seen her in my game. I've never had a robbery or the repo
man come by either. So I have no idea what any of them even look like.
But I've had lots of fires! LOL

Jeanie
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 8:51:48 PM

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 14:39:09 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I have never seen her in my game. I've never had a robbery or the repo
>man come by either. So I have no idea what any of them even look like.
> But I've had lots of fires! LOL

Now THAT is extremely impressing... either you've been incredibly
lucky, or you must not play that much? hehe
Anonymous
September 3, 2005 9:16:23 PM

Guardian Pegasus wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 14:39:09 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I have never seen her in my game. I've never had a robbery or the repo
>>man come by either. So I have no idea what any of them even look like.
>> But I've had lots of fires! LOL
>

> Now THAT is extremely impressing... either you've been incredibly
> lucky, or you must not play that much? hehe

I take incredibly good care of my sims. LOL

Jeanie
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 4:57:47 AM

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 17:16:23 GMT, Jeanie <taureanmoon@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I take incredibly good care of my sims. LOL

Well, concerning repo man, you must be right, but robberies happen at
random, don't they? Although I have noticed some seem more prone to be
robbed than others... all my sims have burglar alarms. They get robbed
nontheless.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 11:09:42 AM

Thanks! I'm gradually learning about these bugs. My daughter came over and
showed me how to find the tombstone of Life & Death, so I was able to
resurrect my "unressurectable" dead Sims too. All in all a good Simming
week:)

--

news:D ufSe.97$Y06.29@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...
> Annoying - I'm guessing the problem is the child. The interactions with
> babies can be very buggy if you try to cancel them or if two sims try to
> do
> something with the child at the same time. The one who looses out gets
> stuck with an incomplete action and no icon in their queue to cancel and
> let
> them move on. And they just stand there doing nothing, unable to move.
> Also NPCs can spell trouble and the nanny is particularly notorious. I
> have
> a hack that decreases the desire of sims to interfere with the baby but I
> still occasionally have a problem like this. The only way I've ever
> solved
> it is to use moveObjects on and delete the baby, save and exit to the
> NEIGHBOURHOOD (don't exit the game), go back in the lot immediately and
> you
> should find the baby beside the mailbox having been reset.
>
> The greying out of the buttons is meant to be some kind safety feature I
> think, meant to prevent you saving a buggy lot. You need to try and deal
> with the problem before that happens (you played on for quite some time, I
> think). If the buttons are already greyed out then I think that means the
> situation is unrecoverable.
>
> Best wishes
> maxon
>

> "Melanie Boxall" <melanie.boxall@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>> So, after work the Nanny, Sophie, said "Now I'm done would you like to
> hang
>> out?" and Lazlo Curious said yes. But then she wouldn't leave. For a
>> week.
>> She stood in one place and slept standing up eventually. She wasn't dying
> of
>> hunger.....she was well and truly "stuck". The family hired another
>> Nanny.
>> Tried to set fire to Sophie but she wouldn't "catch" (despite being
>> surrounded by 8 burning coffee tables). So I decided to exit. Couldn't.
>> Save, Neighbourhood and Exit were all greyed out. So I tried the
> moveObjects
>> cheat and deleted her. Still couldn't get out of the lot. Ended up having
>> hit Ctrl Alt Delete.
>>
>> So, which was the glitch?
>>
>> (Needless to say, as it was unsaved the alien child is lost and I have to
>> start over.)
>>
>> --
>> Melanie
>>
>> Re vera, cara mea, mea nil refert.

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 11:10:38 AM

She takes away ALL of the kids if ONE of them is failing in school. Glad
it's not like that in real life!!!!!

--

"Jeanie" <taureanmoon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Melanie Boxall wrote:
>> The social worker IS a bug in my opinion. Pain in the
>> arse.....................
>>

> I have never seen her in my game. I've never had a robbery or the repo
> man come by either. So I have no idea what any of them even look like.
> But I've had lots of fires! LOL
>
> Jeanie
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 12:45:48 PM

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 07:10:38 -0400, "Melanie Boxall"
<melanie.boxall@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>She takes away ALL of the kids if ONE of them is failing in school. Glad
>it's not like that in real life!!!!!

Uh... they can't take your child just because they fail in school, can
they? (I mean IRL)
!