Windows folders open in new window...can't change back?

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

I have tried the usual method of setting the folder
options back to "open in same window", but to no effect.
All my folders open there child folders in new
windows...this is very annoying.
I had opened the "folder" and "file folder" settings
under file types in folder options but they are of no use
and appear to be un editable to some extent.
I was wondering if there is a file or a register key or
value I can set to fix this mess.
It is annoying enough for me to want to reinstall my OS.

George,

Open Registry Editor and navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder

-and-

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory

Export both keys to REG files, and post the contents here.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

"George" <george@saikaley.com> wrote in message news:20c901c47cb6$7f8fa930$a601280a@phx.gbl...
I have tried the usual method of setting the folder
options back to "open in same window", but to no effect.
All my folders open there child folders in new
windows...this is very annoying.
I had opened the "folder" and "file folder" settings
under file types in folder options but they are of no use
and appear to be un editable to some extent.
I was wondering if there is a file or a register key or
value I can set to fix this mess.
It is annoying enough for me to want to reinstall my OS.

open regedit(Start->Run and type in regedit.exe)
Go to the key:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell
in here, just ensure that there are no keys that say "Open","Explore" are
present....if they are, right-click on Shell, export the registry key to a
file, and erase the "open","explore" keys underneath shell.
if it fails, double click the file we exported above and merge it back.