Seriously confused on LGA 1156 CPUs

Hey everyone, I'm planning on upgrading my trusty E6750 soon and need some help. I plan on going the LGA 1156 route and my budget is about $400. Here is what I have come up with:

Mobo:
http://www.frys.com/product/6007298

It can utilize SLI and crossfire, which is necessary for my dual 8800 GTS 512s, and uses a Lotes socket and not a foxconn socket so I can safely overclock the hell out of my new CPU.

RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231275

Good RAM, I'm a fan of G.Skill, and its cheap

Now the problem, I do not know what CPU to get. I was set on the i5 750, but I could also get the Xeon X3440 which is only $20 more from eWiz. From my understanding, the Xeon is basically the exact same thing as the i5 750 but with hyperthreading. This seems too good to be true. The Xeon can still be overclocked right? Is there anything I should be aware of?

Thank you so much for your time.
24 answers Last reply
More about seriously confused 1156 cpus
  1. There's usually never much difference between a Xeon and the desktop chip given that Xeon is just a server brand, however you can find the Xeon chips are hand-picked top-quality ones because servers run 24/7 and you need that extra reliability.

    The end result? If the Xeon is only $20 more then go for it as you're likely to get a better overclock out of it.

    If the price you've seen isn't time-limited, do some research on overclocking the Xeon and see if it's worth it.
  2. I've found evidence of the Xeon hitting 3.8 Ghz which is about the same as an i5 750. I am now wondering whether hyperthreading is even worth it. I understand that in instances where benchmarking is impossible, like multi-tasking, hyperthreading manages to speed things up, but in most other circumstances it doesn't help. I've also seen some hinting towards performance deficits elicited by hyperthreading, are there truly any performance hits with it on?
  3. Alright I've decided on the i5 750 because the hyperthreading really isn't worth the $30 extra, the overclocking isn't any better, and I'm already over budget.

    Thanks for the help, I hope this thread helps others.
  4. AMW1011 said:
    Alright I've decided on the i5 750 because the hyperthreading really isn't worth the $30 extra, the overclocking isn't any better, and I'm already over budget.


    Are you sure you don't want to get a phenom II, honestly? :D
  5. jennyh said:
    Are you sure you don't want to get a phenom II, honestly? :D


    :lol:
  6. jennyh said:
    Are you sure you don't want to get a phenom II, honestly? :D


    With the prices of Phenom II and the amazing combo deals, I would probably go with it to save some money but AMD does not have any crossfire and SLI capable boards.
  7. AMW1011 said:
    With the prices of Phenom II and the amazing combo deals, I would probably go with it to save some money but AMD does not have any crossfire and SLI capable boards.


    oh really?

    http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=36iHvwecPz62bcDx
    http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=acJsiQGEWJ7Fdp0m&templete=2
    http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=Bz2b2aYdPioLbN04&templete=2
    http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=8DeRdrhjDvv37WOC&templete=2
    http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=cf8IZzbU4m6GHKnW&templete=2
    (and there a heck of a lot more just from asus)
  8. I think AMW1011 mean a board that supports both sli and crossfire.
  9. sonic-boom said:
    I think AMW1011 mean a board that supports both sli and crossfire.


    Yeah, your right. I overlooked the small detail. :sweat: sorry about that.
  10. Yeah like Sonic-Boom said. I'm done with the nVidia chipset thing, been there done that and hated it.
  11. AMW1011 said:
    Alright I've decided on the i5 750 because the hyperthreading really isn't worth the $30 extra, the overclocking isn't any better, and I'm already over budget.

    Thanks for the help, I hope this thread helps others.

    I'd lean towards the Xeon. It's likely to need less voltage for a given overclock (due to the better binning), and the hyperthreading is nice. It's not that much extra cost, and I would personally go for it.

    The i5-750 is a great CPU too though - it's certainly nothing to sneeze at.
  12. i a running 4.0 ghz 24x7 on the foxconnn socket gigabyte ud2 , and i checked the socket after two weeks , there is no burning marks or anything . i guess it happens only at 4.2ghz+ where the voltage is at least 1.45Vcore .
  13. Whether Hyperthreading is of any use depends on what you're doing with the system. Personally I'd go with the Xeon so I know I have multi-threading performance waiting for me in teh future even if I don't use it now.

    Then again I'd personally I'd be building a i7 920 system, not i5!
  14. I may still if I can not get my money before a deal expires on an i5 750. If it expires I will go with the Xeon.
  15. id chace hyperthreading - its so worth it (and no it generally doesnt show up on benchmarks)
  16. cyberkuberiah said:
    i a running 4.0 ghz 24x7 on the foxconnn socket gigabyte ud2 , and i checked the socket after two weeks , there is no burning marks or anything . i guess it happens only at 4.2ghz+ where the voltage is at least 1.45Vcore .


    You need to check your processor for contact from the socket... each of the 1156 pins should have made contact with the CPU. I sleep a lot easier after having seen what mine looks like on the underside. Just saying "Hey, it doesn't have burn marks" wasn't enough for my peace of mind.
  17. hell_storm2004 said:


    That board is ridiculous, for the price I might as well go i7 920 and get a better motherboard for less.

    That RAM is great, but budget constraints as they are...
  18. rodney_ws said:
    You need to check your processor for contact from the socket... each of the 1156 pins should have made contact with the CPU. I sleep a lot easier after having seen what mine looks like on the underside. Just saying "Hey, it doesn't have burn marks" wasn't enough for my peace of mind.


    haha , thanks , but i did that too . contact was there evenly . but isnt this problem due to foxconn sockets not handling higher power draw at more than 1.45 Vcore cause that's what i am running 4ghz .
  19. The problem with power draw is because of the uneven pin contact. If all of he pins are contacting well, there should not be any issues with the socket burning.
  20. first i was confused with all those pin indentation marks , then realized that they were from the factory ... the socket gave it rub marks on all pins . my socket's plastic and pins are also as they were in the start ...
  21. *Scratches head*

    They make LGA 1156 Xeon chips? WTF?
  22. they do all kinds of stuff !
  23. AMW1011 said:
    That board is ridiculous, for the price I might as well go i7 920 and get a better motherboard for less.

    That RAM is great, but budget constraints as they are...


    This is the ram I would go with - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277
    If you were looking for better timing you could go with -
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231303
    The first link is the ram that I am going with in my new build and it is only $2 more then your ram
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Product