Sign in with
Your question

New GA-EP45-UD3P system won't boot

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
September 17, 2009 5:35:18 AM

I've been fighting with this system all night.

Basics of the system:
GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 1.6 (new)
Intel E8500 (new)
Corsair DDR2 1066 RAM (from previous computer)
- 2x2GB chips (CM2X2048-8500CD5)
- 2x1GB chips (CM2X1024-8500C5)
XFX GeForce 8800GT (from previous computer)
Seagate barracuda SATA drive from previous computer

First, I had everthing installed. No video, no beep. CPU fan spins up, stops, spins up, stops. Checked the monitor on another computer, works fine. Removed everything but RAM, video card, hard drive and tried again. Same result. Removed all but 1 RAM chip. Same result. Tried rotating 1 RAM chip in each of the 4 memory slots. Same result. Removed video card. Still no beep and same fan behavior. Tried video card installed without extra power plugged into the card, continuous beep (so I know the speaker works right now).

Then I removed everything but the CPU and CPU fan (no RAM or video card installed, no hard drive plugged in). STILL no beep. All of the phase LEDs are lit for all cases.

I read around a bit and saw some people thought it might be a short, so I unscrewed the board and placed a piece of cardboard from the motherboard box underneath it. Still no beep. I'm at a total loss. And yes, I have power plugged in to both receptacles on the board. Any other thoughts or suggestions out there? I'm to the point where I am clueless how to proceed. Thanks!

More about : ep45 ud3p system boot

September 17, 2009 6:29:22 AM

I have an Apevia X-Telstar that I used for my previous computer case. The power supply is an OCZ (OCZGXS700). This also had been used in a previous computer. My previous computer died while I was out of town, and at the time I thought my processor had fried because the processor fan was not working, the heatsink fins were a bit warped, and the computer wouldn't do anything (similar to now). Could something be wrong with the power supply?
m
l
Related resources
September 17, 2009 2:11:38 PM

Yes. PSU is the first suspect.
m
l
September 17, 2009 10:08:15 PM

Is there a good way to check this outside of getting another PSU? If it is the PSU, I've had terrible luck with them. This one's about 2 years old.
m
l
September 17, 2009 10:19:35 PM

I also had a secondary hard drive very recently get so corrupted the computer couldn't boot properly with it plugged in. I would assume a bad PSU could do that, too?
m
l
September 18, 2009 1:24:01 AM

Ya your PSU is shot.
m
l
September 18, 2009 2:25:14 AM

Alright, guess I'll look at a replacement PSU tomorrow. I wasn't too sure if that would have been it since almost everything else was powering up, but I guess if they can go partially bad, that's probably it.
m
l
September 19, 2009 2:51:03 AM

Yep, bad power supply. I picked up a new Corsair HX620 and it works great. Thanks for the help!
m
l
!