Why is my Vcore higher than specified in BIOS 2500k/p8p67 pro

mc_conor

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Is there an option I have enabled which is increasing the Vcore by a tenth of a volt that I am not aware?

Should my Vcore at load not be about 1.29 V and less with Vdrop?

But playing BF3 my Vcore is about 1.35V

Bios Settings:

AI OC Tuner: Manual
BLCK: 100
Turbo: By all cores 45
Internal PLL Overvolt: Disabled
Memfreq: 1600MHz
EPU Power Saving: Disabled

Load Line Calibration: Regular (0%)
VRM: Manual @360
Phase Control: Extreme
Duty Control: Extreme
CPU Current: 100%

CPU Voltage 1.24
Offset Mode: + 0.05

DRAM: 1.5V
VCSSA: 0.925 [AUTO]
VCCIO: 1.056 -65 [AUTO]
CPU PLL: 1.793 [AUTO]
PCH Voltage: 1.05 [AUTO]
CPU Spread Spectrum: [AUTO]

mc_conor

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Also my VID when running prime95 is 1.361V. Load is about 1.304 -1.312V.

Obviously games are less demanding and thus less Vdroop.

I am just wondering how I can calculate my max Vcore on the 45x multi under lower load situations.

I do not understand why BF3 runs about 1.344 - 1.352V when according to my BIOS settings, I believe it should be running at 1.29V and slightly less with Vdrop.

Does the VRM, phase and duty control increase the Vcore base volts before adding offset? Or could the board itself be raising the base Vcore based on the multi increase before adding offset?

Or have I missed a setting that I should manually change instead of leaving on auto?

mc_conor

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Could this be a bug within the BIOS and mobo itself? Possibly could be what is causing the idle bsods on these boards under certain offset voltages and it is causing the idle voltages to be so low? A stuck bit?

Here is an extract from another post by jsc:

"All it takes is a very small offset in the D/A converter that controls the motherboard power regulator. If the offset is negative, it yields a voltage lower than the BIOS setting. When that happens, everyone says, <shrug>"no big deal. It must be vdroop." And they just march on.

On the other hand, if the offset is positive and the power regulator produces a voltage a little larger than the BIOS setting, the reaction is different. It's, ":O What's wrong."

Now, it's possible that you could have a stuck bit."