Sign in with
Your question

8800 GT Problem

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 3, 2009 5:45:16 AM

Hi, i am having a problem with my video card possibly (i think anyways) -

I was playing a game and it suddenly flipped and froze so i had to manually restart, now when i start up my computer it has random dots all over the startup screen and tons of numbers bleeding over everywhere, i am not sure what could cause this.

I tried installing other versions of the nvidia driver yet none work, it will blue screen if i even have any installed and automatically go to 800x600 when it should be 1440x900, i am able to get on in safe mode and uninstall/ try new drivers for the card but how can i possibly be sure that this is in fact a video card problem before i go and buy another?

- Windows XP 32
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.00GHz
Nvidia 8800GT
4GB RAM

If there is anything else you need to know please let me know, also if it is something to do with my card and i do need to replace it i would need to know which card would fit it, (here is my MOBO, i think http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Product...)

there are 2 cards i looked at so far 9800gtx - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and the 9800gt - http://www.frys.com/product/6030128?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...

how much better would these be compared to the 8800gt? enough to justify the cost over an 8800?

Again thank you so much for all the helm and if you need anymore info about specs please let me know

More about : 8800 problem

October 3, 2009 5:56:50 AM

Not too sure about the bleeding text, but the dots seem like stuck pixels? Do they remain there throughout the boot and onto the desktop? Card wise, go for the 4850 or 4870, they're only $20-30 more but will be a lot better than the gtx.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 3, 2009 5:57:53 AM

Either Card or PSU, can you try the card in another machine?
m
l
Related resources
October 3, 2009 6:03:16 AM

Nah, the dots are just on my startup screen which is green and tells me about my motherboard, which then goes to a black screen where there are usually nicely even lined up numbers at the top, now they are scrambled all over the place, as is with some text too, once i get to the login screen they are gone though, i am stuck at 800x 600 and it just seems my vid card is just not working at all, even though it it detected and drivers are installed, I am unable to test the card in another machine also :( 
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
October 3, 2009 6:14:42 AM

Most likely its the GFX card then and not power supply. I have to agree with Sythix about going for the ATI card and not the 9800GTX+. As you see in my sig I have one and its getting just a bit dated now. The ATI cards are just better at the moment at least at the price range you are considering. If you are set on Nvidia go for at least a 260 core 216 ( around $150 after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) Im not sure exactly what card ATI has that is par with this but I think they have equal or better performance for less money.
m
l
October 3, 2009 6:19:55 AM

Hi, yes i would like to stick with Nvidia, i actually overshot my price range though, i can really only spend around 100, what would be the best in that range? I took a look at this- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., do you know how much better, (or worse) that would be compared to an evga 8800 gt? Or if it would even fit in my mobo (link is in OP) as you can tell im not too smart when it comes to computers, but really need to get this one replaced as i will be ordering it online.

was only able to find one 8800 on newegg and the 9800 that i linked is 5 dollars cheaper, just dunno if it will fit in my mobo and if my psu can even run it.

anyways thanks so much for all the fast responses
m
l
October 3, 2009 6:32:52 AM

sorry for going off topic. Anyways, it's most likely the GPU that's causing it, I can't really think of anything else. As previously stated if you have another rig or a friend close by test and see if it's truly the card.
m
l
October 3, 2009 6:37:28 AM

really dont have enough for the 250 but the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... is what i am really thinking about getting now, i should probably mention what games i play to see if the card would even run it, the ones i mostly play are Aion, WoW, and COD4, still unsure about the psu also, i will have to take it out to figure out how much watts it is im thinking, does the one i linked take more watts than the 8800 also?
m
l
October 3, 2009 6:40:53 AM

I played all those games with a 3850, and that thing is olllllld. You'll be fine with that card. But if you want my advice, save an extra $20 some how and get the 250 or 260. you'll thank me later.
m
l
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 3, 2009 6:41:29 AM

They should be about the same, if there is a difference it will be minimal.
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
October 3, 2009 6:42:19 AM

The GTS 250 is basically a rebadged 9800GTX+ just slightly faster. In this ~$100 price range you really will get better performance from an ATI card. What resolution do you play at and what PSU do you have?
All you really need for a PSU is a good quality 450w for these cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... EVGA card for $1 cheaper........they have a 90 day step up program and will credit full purchase price to a newer card if you want to upgrade in the next 3 months. Their warranty also covers overclocking. ( Yeah im a fan :D  )
m
l
October 3, 2009 6:45:34 AM

im not actually sure what psu i have, its Antec something but the sticker on it is ripped :(  i play at 1440x900 though, oh also i looked and the card i linked reqs 400 watt psu, just gotta figure out how many i have, ugh
m
l
October 3, 2009 6:49:05 AM

You really need a 550+....just saying...
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
October 3, 2009 6:49:59 AM

unionplumber said:
im not actually sure what psu i have, its Antec something but the sticker on it is ripped :(  i play at 1440x900 though, oh also i looked and the card i linked reqs 400 watt psu, just gotta figure out how many i have, ugh

You should be fine with an Antec. Its quality.
m
l
October 3, 2009 6:50:49 AM

thanks guys im gonna boot down for a second and try and see if i cant find anything about how many watts it is, will be back shortly again thanks so much for all of your help
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
October 3, 2009 6:50:56 AM

Sythix said:
You really need a 550+....just saying...

Most people really overestimate what they need for a PSU.
m
l
October 3, 2009 7:01:12 AM

I like to think of it as being prepared rather than overestimating. I'd rather spend $90 on a psu than buy a $60 one, then when it no longer has the capability to fuel the gpu(s) and have to buy the $90 one. Plus you don't want to cut corners when dealing with psus.
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
October 3, 2009 7:07:50 AM

Sythix said:
I like to think of it as being prepared rather than overestimating. I'd rather spend $90 on a psu than buy a $60 one, then when it no longer has the capability to fuel the gpu(s) and have to buy the $90 one. Plus you don't want to cut corners when dealing with psus.

Oh I agree but hes not overclocking and not running sli/crossfire and likely only has 1 HD so a QUALITY PSU like the Corsair 450 that has 33a 12v rail should be plenty.

I really overdid it with the 750 as I only have a singe PCI-X slot MB. But I do game heavily and will upgrade the old 9800GTX+ soon and I do run 5 hard drives so I wanted to be sure.
m
l
October 3, 2009 7:08:05 AM

So i booted down took it out, checked all over and nothing, not a single mention of wattage, model # nothing just plain black w/ Antec dented in on the bottom :( 
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
October 3, 2009 7:16:16 AM

unionplumber said:
So i booted down took it out, checked all over and nothing, not a single mention of wattage, model # nothing just plain black w/ Antec dented in on the bottom :( 

Lol. Hmmm im not sure of any software to id a power supply. Id say just try and see......I really dont think the 9800GT uses much more than the 8800 hell it might even be more efficient. Check out that EVGA card I linked to earlier. Im on my 5th EVGA card in a row ( normal upgrades none failed) and they have an awesome warranty and tech support if you need it.

Edit: Nvidia website requires 400w for 9800GT
m
l
October 3, 2009 7:21:00 AM

Oh yeah that one you linked looks nice, didnt even see it, is it different at all from the one thats 1$ more? Also someone said on newegg 'Not really a con but it requires a 6-pin PCIe connector' I don't know if i have this or not... or even if it will fit in my mobo lol, http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Product [...] ctID=2847)
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
October 3, 2009 7:25:50 AM

unionplumber said:
Oh yeah that one you linked looks nice, didnt even see it, is it different at all from the one thats 1$ more? Also someone said on newegg 'Not really a con but it requires a 6-pin PCIe connector' I don't know if i have this or not... or even if it will fit in my mobo lol, http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Product [...] ctID=2847)

Its not different specs just a different manufacturer. Different manufacturers have different warrantys/tech support departments ect. and in my opinion EVGA is the best.
That link is broken but its the same PCI-X as the 8800GT you are replacing. Did the old card have a power cord plugging into it? If so it is likely the same.
It will look like this and just plug into the side of the card. http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/PCI_Express_(PCIe)_6pin_power
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
October 3, 2009 7:28:07 AM

unionplumber said:
oh yeah i have that plug in! lol yeah my bad on the linking part, its in the first post though, if it will even fit in the same slot

You are good to go then. All PCI-X is compatable. Any PCI Express ( PCI-X ) card will work for you.
EDIT: Oh yeah you got a good motherboard. It should be a decent overclocker too if you ever want to get brave. The E-8400 turns up to 11 with good cooling lol.
m
l
October 3, 2009 5:19:20 PM

I dunno if this will help ,but, not too long ago I started to get funny things happening with my 8800gt,,so,,I opened tha case and lo and behold it was just a little too hot therein ,,so I extracted the card examined it and came to the conclusion that it was a heat problem,,so,as I had already replaced the generic gunk under the fan I looked at the rear heatsink ,now then it came with a very thick layer of some generic gunk which the heat giving parts had sunk into so far that they were up against the metal,,so,,I cleaned it all off and replaced it with AC5,worked like a charm,could be the same thing happening to you now,,or not...The rule of thumb for solid state electronics is that if they do not fail within the first 3 weeks of use they should go forever,maybe..:) 
m
l
October 4, 2009 12:50:02 AM

Hi, so as an update form last night - I purcahsed a card off newegg, one of those two linked earlier (one DIDNT have a return at all, so i got the one that was returnable within 30 days) i have tried to get it working again today and uninstaled drivers again in safe mode and reinstalled in normal mode.

Now the computer boots up without the weird dots at the first screen and the second black screen is all fine, but now that i get to login i tried starting Warcraft, worked fine got in game so i exited it, then i tried aion, as soon as i got to the menu my screen went black on the bottom and had part of the picture of the login screen at the top and started flickering all over and just froze (couldnt see my mouse moving at all), any idea if this is in fact the video card? or could it be something else instead?

before i posted this it again while just idle with no games running it froze up and started flickering around again also.

thanks again for all the help you guys have been
m
l
October 4, 2009 1:08:51 AM

To me it sounds like a motherboard problem if youre getting artifacts on boot up....either that or your graphics card is overheating or your PSU is failing.

How long had you had your previous card before it went funny???
m
l
October 4, 2009 1:22:49 AM

Hi - I've had this card for about a year and a half, the mobo maybe 9-10 months, my startup screen just had tons of small pixel like dots everywhere, but now that i uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled they have gone away, its just freezing every now and then and the bottom part of my screen will go black and the top will stay the same, but it will all shake around and freezes up.

m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
October 4, 2009 5:02:35 AM

You just tried to reinstall drivers with the old card right ? You dont have the new card yet ?
m
l
October 4, 2009 5:22:12 AM

yeah this is the old card still new one should be in in about 3-4 days, but now that this si kind of? working i dont know if it for sure is the card, i mean it starts up goes to my normal resolution just cant play any games, i start up Aion, and it goes to the login screen then the screen flips out again and i have to restart, i went ahead and tried with burnout paradise and it played through maybe 3 mins then did the same
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
October 4, 2009 6:44:13 AM

unionplumber said:
yeah this is the old card still new one should be in in about 3-4 days, but now that this si kind of? working i dont know if it for sure is the card, i mean it starts up goes to my normal resolution just cant play any games, i start up Aion, and it goes to the login screen then the screen flips out again and i have to restart, i went ahead and tried with burnout paradise and it played through maybe 3 mins then did the same

Its either the card or the PSU.....might as well try the new card and rule that out especially if you can return it.
Download SpeedFan http://www.majorgeeks.com/download337.html and see what the GPU temp is. You can at least rule out the 8800 overheating . Temp should be under 100C ......less even at idle but from what I see this card runs kinda hot anyway.
You also may as well try reseating the card and if its really dirty cleaning it with a can of compressed air. DO NOT use a vacuum cleaner.
m
l
October 4, 2009 7:02:32 AM

Hi- downloaded it and idling, ~64 Celsius have yet to try it in a game, but i am able to get on warcraft but it seems if i try to do anything straining on the computer it just gives out and freezes, i still cant get on aion only to the login screen then the graphics just flips and my screen gets blocky textures everywhere and freezes

EDIT: forgot to add, i have taken out the card and blew out my whole computer with compressed air

EDIT2: just restarted and ran the speedfan thing again, it seems if my computer is under any amount of strain it just freezes, i started it up and it froze again, wouldnt that signal something more towards my psu? just curious because i wasnt doing anything graphic wise, just starting the speedfan... and warcraft isnt very graphic intensive i wouldnt think, but maybe aion is too much (but even just the login screen) weird... im just not too sure, i hope i didnt make the mistake of getting a video card and it ended up being my power supply ugh, i really am clueless
m
l
October 4, 2009 10:49:36 AM

Now im basically unable to even get in on normal mode at all, so im in safe mode right now posting this, because it will freeze ~2 mins after login, and sometimes even before

here is a pic of the speedfan and my process/cpu usage (keep in mind im in safe mode) if it makes any diff -
m
l
October 4, 2009 10:50:57 PM

So now im looking for a power supply on newegg, can anyone recommend any under $50?

somethins just doesnt seem right if it is crashing without doing anything graphic-wise and just starting up seems to give out...and freeze, i dont really know how the psu is really meant to work or if it would just go out completely or what.

anyway like i said i have around $50 to spend on a power supply and dont know which one has all the connectors i need, etc, id also like to have one that would be able to power a gtx 260 or other higher end nvidia card in the future...again thanks
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 5:27:11 AM

Sorry for the late reply. A power supply is not something you want to go cheap on. I would recommend something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... although thats not really enough for a 260. Its going to be hard to get a good quality unit for that price that will. Newegg does have the 550 on sale for 69.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... that should be enough for a GTX 260.

Corsair is about the best bang for your buck right now.
m
l
a c 255 U Graphics card
October 6, 2009 5:43:52 AM

I just looked at that picture and the CPU is mighty hot........mine is idling at 25/26c right now with cool air ( like 65f ) blowing in the window and is overclocked a little...although I have a huge aftermarket cooler. Maybe the cpu is overheating......try reseating the heatsink and reapplying thermal compound. One of the reasons the E-8400 was so popular is it runs so cool. I wouldnt think it should idle hotter than 35c even with a stock intel cooler if its not overclocked.

Download CoreTemp http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ its a better program for checking Core2Duo temps.
m
l
October 6, 2009 7:12:57 AM

Hey, thanks for the reply, I downloaded the program but it says something about driver failed to load.

I went ahead and bought a PSU to go with the video card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I asked in the psu forum which i should get, really didnt have the money for it but went ahead and got it.

It seems now that there are tons of more dots at the green mobo startup page that are yellow, and this is about 2x more than there were before, and at the black loading screen after it there is tons of more gibberish such as if i try to go into safe mode - tons of letters replaced like drivers would be tryvers in some lines and wind_ws, I dont know what it could be but i do hope it is the power supply or video card as now i have no money to replace my MOBO or chip if it is one of those.

I also have an aftermarket cooler on my processor (i think) its freaking huge, it sticks out so far that the fan on the removable case had to be taken off.

Dont have any thermal compound and am kinda clueless when it comes to messing with that big thing and the processor chip so cant do that yet.

I wish i had a camera so i could show you a picture of what i mean at the startup screens etc, its kinda hard to explain, but i also forgot to mention now i have 5 segments of 7 or so vertical lines that are very faint in the background... they are about 1-2px big and there are 7 small lines in the groups of 5.

Yeah it all sounds weird im sure, but thanks for all the help , i probably shouldnt be getting on here, but was checking the order on the psu...still processing.
m
l
October 7, 2009 5:15:48 PM

Hey, graphics card just came in, i ended up going with this one, as the other one someone else suggested didnt have a return at all on it (in case my gfx card wasnt the problem) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So i started up went into safe mode uninstalled old nvidia drivers then used driversweeper, turned off plugged new card in and no weird pixelated dots all over at the mobo startup page, then the bios screen, no annoying 0's everywhere, and finally i was able to make it back into normal mode without it freaking out and blue screening.

Downloaded new drivers and installed, then tested out Aion, works perfectly so far, very very smooth my other card was very choppy at times when playing Aion, but thats all gone.

I went out and god some thermal heat sink stuff at Radioshack last night because i thought i might try and put some on before the card came in but wow, i was unable to get the cooler thing off of the chip - i checked the temps in bios though for the cpu, and it was running at 21 celsius, running at 38 celsius now idling at windows as i type this message. (here is the big cooler thing i was talking about - http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id...)

Temps -

Anyways i thought i would come back and say thank you to everyone who helped, i really appreciate it, hopefully this will work now and stay working for a while, lol.

Oh, also another thing that i thought was strange, the new card i got didnt have a 6 or any number pin power plug in at all on it, it just ran straight off of pci-e, not too sure if thats a good or bad thing, and i still have the power supply coming too, im not sure if i should wait in case it could be the psu that did mess up my vid card or what and just taking a chance on this one getting messed up, lol.

m
l
!