XP Installation cannot format the Partition

munyc

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Hello, I repost this thread as till now got no solution.
I reinstall XP to my 80gb Seagate hdd. After selection screen appear for installation, it show only unpartiton with space of 7890mb. Despite this I tried to install window on it but it failed saying that cannot format the drive, the drive may damaged.

I use Seatools to test this drive found no error & pass the test overall.

Using Super Fdisk Bootable CD to boot up – cannot read MBR, list of operations cannot be done on it saying cannot write to the drive. But it did show almost full capacity of 80gb.

Using HDD Capacity Restore when slave this drive to other xp pc - No need to restore because it show full capacity

Slave it to another XP pc – show the partition of 7890mb an unpartition of the rest capacity. Resize the partition to max using Easeus Partiton Master & format the whole drive using NTFS set it as Primary. On My Computer it did show the drive as Local D with almost 80gb. It can be using such formatting, storing & viewing any files.

But when take back to the previous pc & tried to reinstall XP on it, the same problem persists. Can anyone give some advice

Use a program that is specifically designed to initialize, partition and format a hard drive.

You can download this one
HERE. The name of the file is "HITACHI" and is about 20MB in size.

It is an "ISO" image file that must be burned to CD using a burner capable of restoring an ISO image back to CD.

The resulting CD is bootable or the program can be installed in a Windows operating system.

munyc

Distinguished
May 26, 2010

Will try & post the outcome. Thanks

munyc

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
After using the recommended program to write zero, the result still the same. Setup only see the the only 7890mb unpartition of the hdd.

But when I decided to swap the RAM to another RAM slot, hook the hdd 40 pin IDE cable to slot IDE 2 where hdd set as master & CD Rom as slave. It solve the problem, XP installation successfull.

After log in window, in disk management, another 40 Gb hdd that I connect to IDE 1 slot detect as local D & only 7.5 Gb available as raw.

From this decision I think either the IDE 1 slot may defect or some of the pin broken, thus prevent fully read or access. I hope this info may help others for the similar issue.

munyc

Distinguished
May 26, 2010

Yes I'm tried using both 40 & 80 core cables but problem same. Now the primary hdd slot use as cd Rom drive, can be detected in window & BIOS but when insert media to it show 0 byte. My hdd connected to secondary hdd slot & XP are able to boot successfully.