Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows XP Professional x64 on Core I7?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2009 2:45:00 AM

Yes, but why not get Windows 7? XP x64 is buggier than win7 x64, and it is an 8 year old OS.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2009 7:34:17 AM

+1^ Yes you can use i7 with XP 64 but you may run in to some compatibility problems with XP 64 Pro since it doesn't have a good driver support,go for Win 7 64,its better and has a good driver support
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2009 8:04:04 AM

Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate 64-bit and use XP Mode
Score
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2009 9:41:44 AM

Obtaining XP Professional 64 bit for a Core i7 system would be like installing DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11 Wfw on a Pentium 2 system.

I agree with Windows 7 (Pro or Ultimate) 64 bit but I'll lean more with Pro because it's cheaper.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2009 9:53:13 AM

any xp is dead and burried - forget about it
Score
a b à CPUs
December 7, 2009 10:09:46 AM

Yes it will work.
No, you should not do it.

XP is dead, let it rest in peace.
If you have a special app that will not work with anything but XP, get Win 7 Pro x64 or better and use the XP virtualization.
Score
December 8, 2009 1:23:06 AM

Thanks for all the replies.
I don't like Windows 7 because of the elimination of the "classic" start menu, and the elimination of "standard" font-smoothing. I find the new start menu to be a cumbersome step backward, and despite my efforts to tune ClearType I cannot find a setting that does not leave screen text looking as if I have uncorrected astigmatism.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2009 6:34:51 AM

If you dislike ClearType, turn it off. As for the elimination of the classic start menu, have you tried using the new one for a while? I find it to be quite a bit better once you get used to it.
Score
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2009 6:53:13 AM

So much hate for xp64, heh. I use that os (will be going win7 with new build in january) but will probably keep using this one in this box anyhow. It isn't an i7 build, but it was new last March.

The only issues I have had with driver support (as a gamer anyhow) was trying to use unsigned drivers to circumvent Nvidias block out of PhysX dedicated cards with an ATI card present. I had to use older pre-lockout drivers instead. Otherwise it has been a pretty painless experience.
Score
November 3, 2011 4:11:09 AM

Xp64 is far better then windows 7 anyday. Windows 7 is for kids it big anf flashy but when it comes down to pure hardcore it fails. I running XP 64 atm with 32 gigs of ram I boot up it only uses 200 megs of memory. I have a ghost load of Windows 7 for the same machine and it uses at boot 3.2 gigs of ram just to boot same programs and software on both xp64 and 7. I tried to convert a 32 bit database once in windows 7 found out it only supports 2 GB of ram per one 32 bit app. XP64 can support up to 6 GB for a 32 bit app. Short story XP64 finshed the conversion Windows 7 came up with out of memory issues.
My fav is Windows 7 lacks good folder permissions and a true Administator account. Say you install a new program or unzip or unrar a file into a new folder you create then after you are finshed with that folder Try and delete it and windows 7 will say Access denied. Your the admin to you computer and yet you cant delete a folder that was just created. The only way to gain access to the folder is to reboot your computer. Uptime out the window there.
One missing setting in windows 7 is the folder options remember each folders view settings which I turn off which makes my view setting stay that way in any folder period and doesnt keep changing to details.
And for most people that dont know this windows 7 will turn off or park most of your cores on a 4 or 6 core cpu. I have to go into the registry on power management to reenable those cores your index will go up by .4 points with that setting.
The GUI in windows 7 is slow when you click on something it feels like a 1 sec pause to anything. Also when I play audio there is a 1 sec pause before it plays. Never have that in xp64. Its fast clean and pure OS.

Also for the bashers XP64 is not 8 years old the whole OS is based of Windows 2003 Server 64 bit. XP64 is R2 release and came out dec 2005

So 6 years old being 2011.

Score
a b à CPUs
November 3, 2011 7:49:29 AM

-_-

You know, trolling 2 year old threads is kinda pointless....

Also, Xp died a long time ago.
Move on like the rest of the world.
Score
March 9, 2012 1:22:54 PM

I vote XPx64, HAVE 5 YEAR OLD CAD SYSTEM WON,T RUN ON 7, IN XP MODE ON AN i7 WITH 8GB AND QUADRO 4000, STALLS ON EVEN SMALL ASSEMBLIES, MY 10 YEAR OLD P4x2 WITH 2GB AND FX 500 AND XPx32 WALKS ALL OVER IT. WHY DON,T I GET THE NEW VERSION OF THE CAD PROGRAM......£8000.00. MY QUESTION WETHER YOU LIKE XP OR NOT, WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SET UP XP64 ON AN i7.
P.S. SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS. OCUPATIONAL HAZARD.
Score
!