HDMI problems

cdawg_82

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I am having issues with my TV's HDMI picking up the signal from my desktop. I am able to get the HDMI to get the signal after rebooting sometimes but when I restart the sytem it normally loses the signal and I have to shutdown the computer and reboot it just to get it to find the signal. What am I doing wrong? OS- Vista business 32-bit
Mobo- x-hair III
CPU- Phen II x4 955 BE
TV- Samsung 120 hz 52 inch 1080 p LCD

Not having issues with the desktop moniter just the HD tv

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Sometimes video cards have trouble outputting at high res at specified refresh rates, though a 4890 should have no problem with it. Do you know what revision of HDMI cable you are using? If it isn't an HDMI revision 1.3a or later, that might possibly be the source of your problem.

cdawg_82

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I can check when I get home. The cable is probably close to a year old. Would that cause problems to the display while it was running? Once I can get the Screen on my tv it works flawlessly but its just the annoying task of hooking the hdmi cable up and then rebooting the cpu. I have to hook the cable up first then reboot the cpu for it to pick up the HDMI signal. I am really confused, please help if you know how to solve the problem.

P.S. How do I tell what version my hdmi cable is?

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
yeah, the older revisions work, though I read through the revision specs and they mentioned something about changing the capacitance of the cable specifications. Since the OP is able to get the signal working again by re-hooking the cable, I think it might be resolved with a new cable.

This might sound like a dumb question, but are you sure you don't just need to press the correct source button on your TV remote? It may just be set up to use a different input by default. When you shut down the computer and the TV loses signal on HDMI it may start looking for a signal on different inputs.

I don't doubt that you may have a problem, but sometimes it's the most obvious things that are the hardest to troubleshoot.

cdawg_82

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
The HDMI2 source doesn't come up on my source menu even after I hook up the HDMI to the computer (if the computer was already on). Lets say I was running a vga cable to tv, which it does this with no problem but then i decide to switch to HDMI. I have to shutdown my computer and turn it back on It will pick up the source most of the time. I don't understand why it needs to be turned off after the cable has been connected.
My problem is when I have the HDMI working and i need to restart vista because of updates or other random stuff, it will not detect a signal. I will be on the HDMI2 source but the blk screen says no signal. It seems that its not transmitting a signal from the computer sometimes.

cdawg_82

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I had it on 1900 x 1080 settings while I was running vista. Could restarting the computer and the high settings cause it not to provide the proper signal once it restarts? I have no clue..... Sorry for the all questions :/

cdawg_82

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
That was one of the problems we had but I will retry that one again tonight. We had the hdmi cable in then we changed to vga but once we went back to the hdmi we were not able to get a signal

jared51182

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009

1. Are you saying you had HDMI operational, then switched to VGA (and it still worked), and then switched back to HDMI and lost the signal?

Or

2. Just that you had HDMI in (no signal) put in VGA (and it worked) and then went back to HDMI (and no signal)?

jared51182

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Hm... interesting. To me it seems like the TV isn't registering that a signal is being supplied when the computer is live. Do you have any other inputs going into the TV, also, when you use the HDMI, is it the only cable coming out of the vid card? Something seems to be missing in the link when you go from a live computer and then hook up to the TV (which is obviously why you posted here, and are aware, and I am just rambling now).

cdawg_82

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
The only other cable I have coming out of the TV is for the HD cable box. Yes, I only have the the HDMI coming out of the vid card when I am trying to get a signal. It will probably be something simple and maybe I just need to try small and work my way up. I was just really annoyed about the repeated process last night and I wanted to see if anyone had the same issues. Thanks for all the help! Keep it coming :0

jared51182

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Do you have two HDMI cables set up, one for the cable box and one for the computer? If so, have you tried using the port that the cable box is using? Or have you tried using the HDMI cable from the cable box with the vid card? Just to make sure it isn't the port or the cable that may have a loose connection?