Recovering NTOSKRNL.EXE

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Installshield has somehow corrupted my copy of NTOSKRNL.EXE. I have access
to the XP Professional install disks and want to repair this installation.
Do I use the "recovery console"? How do I copy this file over to the
SYSTEM32 directory?

Many thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about recovering ntoskrnl
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    do a Repair setup, (turn on the firewall before going online) 315341 - How to
    Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation or Repair) of Windows XP: Go to:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

    Mark L. Ferguson MVP, email must have QZ somewhere in the subject, or will
    be automatically deleted , I chat in the Expert Zone:
    http://communities2.microsoft.com/home/chatroom.aspx?siteid=34000077

    "Andrew Chalk" wrote:

    > Installshield has somehow corrupted my copy of NTOSKRNL.EXE. I have access
    > to the XP Professional install disks and want to repair this installation.
    > Do I use the "recovery console"? How do I copy this file over to the
    > SYSTEM32 directory?
    >
    > Many thanks.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    NTOSKRNL Missing or Corrupt

    Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.
    At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
    Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the
    installation of Windows you want to repair.
    Typically this will be #1
    Change to the drive that has the CD ROM.
    CD i386
    expand ntkrnlmp.ex_ C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe
    If WindowsXP is installed in a different location, just make the necessary
    change to C:\Windows
    Take out the CD ROM and type exit

    "Andrew Chalk" wrote:

    > Installshield has somehow corrupted my copy of NTOSKRNL.EXE. I have access
    > to the XP Professional install disks and want to repair this installation.
    > Do I use the "recovery console"? How do I copy this file over to the
    > SYSTEM32 directory?
    >
    > Many thanks.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314477
    Error Message: Windows Could Not Start Because of a Computer Disk Hardware
    Configuration Problem

    "Andrew Chalk" <achalk@XXXmagnacartasoftware.com> wrote in message
    > Installshield has somehow corrupted my copy of NTOSKRNL.EXE. I have access
    > to the XP Professional install disks and want to repair this installation.
    > Do I use the "recovery console"? How do I copy this file over to the
    > SYSTEM32 directory?
    >
    > Many thanks.

Configuration Microsoft Ntoskrnl.Exe Windows XP