Ikorolch

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Just upgraded to an i7 920 and bought a new motherboard from a Phenom II x4 965. My ram is the Corsair Dominator DDR3 PC3 12800, and my new mobo is an EVGA x58 SLI LE. No matter what I just can't get the ram to run at 1600 mhz, I set it to XMP profile 1, which is supposed to make it run at 1600 mhz but then my system does not boot up, and just keeps restarting, any one know what is wrong?

You'll have to enter the RAM settings in the BIOS.

Using the stickers on the RAM, write down the latencies, e.g., 9-9-9-24; the voltage, e.g., 1.65V, and the speed (1600MHz).

The next time you start your computer enter the BIOS with the Del key, and move through the selections to manually adjust the RAM settings - leave the other RAM settings on Auto.

Ikorolch

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
However it isn't running stable for some reason, maybe because my bus or cpu is too slow ? My phenom2 965 ran perfect 8-8-8-24 1600 , and now with this i7 it freezes when I do the windows performance test.

safewaysecurity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Well treefrog07 was mainly giving an example of a certain voltage. Make sure your timings are the timings set for your ram because they will not necessarily run with what he posted. Check on the box or the sticker and adjust it. Also you could give it a little bit more voltage like maybe 0.10V if you want but don't overdo it.

I was giving examples of the settings you might need to use to get the RAM to its specs because you didn't post the part# (specific model). That's why I said you should use the settings on the RAM stickers. The newer DDR3 RAM (since Core i7 release) must run at lower voltages than the older DDR3 used on the 775 CPUs, so it won't fry the CPU.