$1600 gaming / photoshop I7 - 860 build

DannyITR

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 3 months

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Call of Duty 4, Flight Simulator X, Photoshop batch edits, windows explorer copying/moving files (for backup and stuff).

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (keyboard, mouse, speakers,)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (ncix.com)
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel CPU & ASUS mobo with dual 24" LCD and full tower case)

OVERCLOCKING
: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS
:I put two stars next to newegg because I don't see how I can avoid getting around paying brokerage charges on delivery (likely in excess of $200). With NCIX the parts are shipped within Canada so there is no courier brokerage charge. I fail to understand how nay Canadian would choose newegg unless they find a way to not have the courier charge the fees.

I went with the I-7-860 because I don't see myself using more than 1 video card and I need a bit more punch on photoshop batch editing and file processing than the I5. I rarely if ever upgrade my PCs so if new 8-core CPUs come out for socket 1366 mobos (1-2 years?) it'll be time for a new rig anyways. This article sold me on the I7-860. Not quite as much bang per dollar then I5 but very close and a nice step up in performance almost on part with the 870 and 920.

That is what I have so far ($1626 + free shipping). My main questions are regarding the difference between mobos. There are at least five ASUS LGA1156 mobos with different prices and they all look the same. Can someone help me out with the differences?

14246.jpg

Why do many?

14247.jpg

For monitors I want dual 24" (replacing my dual 19") and the user bashful98033 posted this sick deal in another thread ($240 with hdmi input)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049

I had actually ordered two Samsung 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor (2433BW) from bestbuy.ca last night ($280 each and no hdmi) so I cancelled that. Now I'm just wondering about the brokerage fees.

How did I do with my selections?

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
[strike]I am not sure if its a problem on my end, but those pictures are very small and I can not read what you chose, it would easier if you just copied the part name with a link, or hosted those photos somewhere so we could view them at full size.[/strike]

Edit: Figured out I could save them and then view them at full size

The build looks good, solid choices and it should work well for you.

The Asus motherboards differ mainly in PCIE lanes, and the quality/quantity of heat sinks. All the boards are fine choices, and since you are only using one GPU, you will be fine with one of the lower priced options.

Check out this Gigabyte mobo too, its a solid contender;

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3R LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128401 ($159.99)

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Your selections for the most part are pretty good. As for the question on the ASUS motherboards, There really is no good reason for 11 variations on the same chipset, somebody at ASUS needs a stern talking to. Here's a review of an ASUS PRO board that mentions some of the differences between the tiers: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/806

Basically, if you aren't concerned with overclocking or multiple GPU setups, don't waste your money on higher tier ASUS boards. In their midrange, you start seeing better heatsinks, capacitors, materials, and some nice extras that might actually be useful. Things priced like the EVO and above have useless extras like dual Gigabit LAN, second RAID controller, 9 SATA connectors, etc. The overclocking tools and PCI-e 16x slots (3) are the worthwhile features, but only if you need them.

I'd go with a Samsung F3 or 7200.12 Seagate drive right now, only because WD is taking their time on refreshing the Caviar Black product line. the F3 and 7200.12 are better drives since they were just refreshed.

The Antec 900 is a good case, but you're not getting a good price for it. You should be paying around $99 US, for what you are paying, you should be getting an Antec 902 that has some nice new features.

If you wait a bit, you can get a Radeon 5870 that performs better than the 4890.

The Seasonic 650 Watt is fine in terms of quality, though if you can find one at a good price, the Corsair 650TX is just as high quality and cheaper usually. I picked up one from newegg for $79 AR a couple weeks ago.

As for monitors, don't get hung up on the HDMI connectors. The video signal quality is just as good as DVI, and if you do need to connect to HDMI devices, adapter cables are cheap. If it's an included feature on a good monitor deal, so be it, but don't write off other deals that at least have DVI.