COD4 issues

munson1

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Hello, my cod4 lags like crazy for some reason and I can not figure it out. Both versions lagged about the same amount it doesnt matter if i turn the texture quality and everything all the way down it will lag the same amount. It runs super smooth when im inside buildings etc but if i go out in an open area or an area with alot of people the fps drops significantly.

System:
amd athlon x2 4400+ oc to 2.5ghz
2gigs ram
geforce gtx 260
windows 7 ultimate

I do not understand why it is lagging like this i dont have this problem in any other games... I max out source with ease and other games like that. But i have friends with lesser computers that run this game perfectly fine it is pissing me off. Is my processor a bottle neck at this point? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Solution
I figured out what the problem is and you are all going to *** your pants laughing.. I have two supposed x16 pci-e slots on this board and I had to install this card into the second slot because the sata cables hit the bottom of the card.. Well, apparently you can only run a single card in one configuration on this board at x16 which is in the first slot. Needless to say i have been playing cod4 on x2 link width from my pci- express slot. Does anyone know of a way to change this configuration by using jumpers or some sort of bios setting that I am unaware of the name of? If not I am going to make a run to best buy and hope they have 90 degree sata cables...

staalkoppie

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I ran COD4 and MW2 on my AMD 4600x2 (2.4Ghz), on the system stated below, and do not experience any lag...I did run mine on good 'ol XP still...and can max out the games....hmmm...maybe a driver issue ins Win 7 ?

(My CPU changed about a week ago, but your CPU is still fine in comparison to the 4600+ I ran it on...)

munson1

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009

It is interesting that you mention you have the 4600 x2 because I have a friend that has that processor with a 8800gt and it runs perfectly smooth on his... I will try to find patches and things of that nature for the game.. As for using windows 7 it did this with my windows xp also.

munson1

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I just thought about it and I have cod4 on steam so it updates automatically.. Another thing to mention is that the graphics settings have nearly no effect on how the game runs.. It does the same thing if i have the texture and everything on extra as it does when i have everything on low..

munson1

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009

I have a 650 watt bfg power supply.. I know it is powerful enough but I have been wondering if there is a problem with it. I dont know what else would cause this.. But I am not quite sure how I would go about diagnosing it.

munson1

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
No, the single player lags just as bad.. I just did some testing with this windows 7 cpu and ram meter and during the single player part of the game the ram was at 91% usage and that was just a certain part it may max out in other areas of the game I dont know. I am thinking the ram might be the cause...... Are the cod4 games more ram dependent then crysis? Why is it using up so much ram if i have 900mb of ram on the damn video card?

munson1

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Thanks alot for the replies everyone. I also came to the conclusion that it was a lack of ram issue after viewing the ram usage guage during the game lol. pk4w, thanks for the tip I changed that setting and it helped ALOT. I still have the ram issue but that cleared things up dramatically.. I just dont know if it is worth dropping another 90 dollars on ram that is 5 years old or getting a new mobo, processor, and ram for 4-500..

pkw4

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
yea the only prob with the trick is that it relies on raw gpu power as it stops the cpu pre rendering the next frames for the game which if you have a slower cpu gives it quite a boost, i had the same prob with my x2 4000+@2.6ghz with 1.5gb of ddr2 667@750mhz.
luckily you have a very quick g.card, bewarned cod mw2 is even worse for lagging and gives the odd stutter even with the setting change.

munson1

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Are you in the states? $300 is enough to get you a new quadcore processor, 4 GBs of DDR memory, and brand new motherboard and still have change to spare.

List your motherboard, if you have an AM2+ motherboard it might be cheaper than you think, as you may be able to drop in a $99 quadcore and invest $50 in ram - sorted!

Yeah I kindof got screwed in that area. My board is a 939 socket so I have no choice but to go to a new mobo. I have been considering doing a lga 1156 board (msi gd65) with the i5 750 and 4 gigs of ram.. It should total around 450-500..

munson1

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I dont think I am going to go with amd again this time. There is a lot of hype about their processors and how overclockable they are but I have never been able to get this past 2.6ghz without dramatically increasing voltage and other things... an i5 is easily overclockable 1ghz over its stock speed.

munson1

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I figured out what the problem is and you are all going to *** your pants laughing.. I have two supposed x16 pci-e slots on this board and I had to install this card into the second slot because the sata cables hit the bottom of the card.. Well, apparently you can only run a single card in one configuration on this board at x16 which is in the first slot. Needless to say i have been playing cod4 on x2 link width from my pci- express slot. Does anyone know of a way to change this configuration by using jumpers or some sort of bios setting that I am unaware of the name of? If not I am going to make a run to best buy and hope they have 90 degree sata cables...

Solution

blacksheep101

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Hahhaha, that was pretty funny :D.

Perhaps I should check my pci-3 configuration although I have a feeling it might be alright!

I suggest going and getting a right angled sata connector - I don't think you're going to be able to change that settings with the bios or jumpers.

TRENDING THREADS