Sign in with
Your question

:::Dedicated PC for RIPPING/Encoding to H.264:::

Last response: in Systems
September 17, 2009 4:14:48 PM

Hey guys,
I am ready to buy new components to put together small footprint dedicated machine for ripping and encoding Blu ray to H.264. Can someone advise me in the right direction? I am in IT business, but lack certain info.. So far I know:

::: Quad core best for Encode blu-ray material to H.264 format = Do you agree, and does it make a huge impact ?
::: Slimming Windows XP Pro with software like nlite = Anyone has best setting to slim down with nlite
for only ripping/encoding, you think it makes a difference?
any other/better software out there besides nlite?

What is the timeframe for ripping blu ray movie, and encoding? Is there a big factor that will cut the time? So far my thoughts are, processor is the key player in encoding time....

September 17, 2009 4:48:16 PM

I agree on Quad Core.
You probably want hard disks in RAID 0 or an SSD also.

September 17, 2009 5:07:47 PM

What's your budget on this? You're going in the right direction, though how much you're willing to spend to shave off a few more minutes will influence suggestions. An i7 860 would be a great choice, but that automatically puts you in the $1,000 range for parts.

also, fiddling with XP Pro will get you some performance gain from increasing available resources, but unless you have a 64-bit version of it, you're better off going with a newer OS.

Since you are from an IT background, how much exposure do you have to Linux? I haven't researched it specifically, but you could probably find some nice lean OS builds that will do what you want, and won't cost you a dime.
Related resources
September 17, 2009 6:38:00 PM

Sorry, I should of posted my budget, which influences responses! Besides buying the basics (like case, motherboard, power supply...)
What do you think of this?

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition = $174
or
Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core = $189
Thats my budget for processor,
Then you have memory, 2x 2GB DDR3, maybe a sli
Maybe a SSD drive dedicated for OS 60GB
and another for data, 500GB, or 1TB

Thank you for great advice!

Robert
September 17, 2009 7:06:19 PM

I would go with the AMD build mainly because you'll have more processor options down the road. Core 2 Quad and LGA 775 is currently a dead end. for an SSD recommendation, OCZ Vertex is the best balance of performance and cost right now. Intel G2 SSDs are better, but they cost nearly twice as much, and you can't find them anywhere.
September 17, 2009 8:54:06 PM

wathman said:
I would go with the AMD build mainly because you'll have more processor options down the road. Core 2 Quad and LGA 775 is currently a dead end. for an SSD recommendation, OCZ Vertex is the best balance of performance and cost right now. Intel G2 SSDs are better, but they cost nearly twice as much, and you can't find them anywhere.

Hey, thank you for terrific advise. One more thing, MEMORY, I am really outdated on memory, what is a good stick these days, ddr3? sli setup?

Rob
September 17, 2009 9:16:11 PM

yeah, you'll want at least DDR3 rated at 1333 Mhz. look for lower voltages and CAS latency of 9 or lower. Recognized brands are all pretty safe, Corsair, OCZ, G.Skill, Mushkin, Patriot, all have good reputations, and do realize that there always going to be dead sticks from any company, if they don't work, places like newegg make RAM exhcanges easy and relatively painless.

I've always had good luck with OCZ RAM, good mix of specs and pricing. G.Skill is also a popular choice for the same reason.
September 17, 2009 9:42:51 PM

I really doubt slimming XP/OS will make much difference. We are probably talking a few seconds over the course of the entire rip.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5,2410-...

Looking at the first graph, DVD to H.264, the best three times are 870, 920, and the PhII 965 by a hair. Due to these scores, I'd look to one of these CPUs. These are also a bit north of the ~$180 mark, so I'll include this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/athlon-ii-propus,24...

Here is the "new" Athlon x4 620 being just a hair slower then the Q9550, but a lot cheaper of course. (MSRP $100.) I'm not sure if there is anything between all these CPUs, but I'd get either the 870/920, or some quad AMD CPU. I wouldn't bother with S775.
September 17, 2009 10:02:23 PM

The i5 750 is only $10-25 more expensive and will greatly overpower both. I'm surprised nobody noticed this. Especially for your uses (and the bargain that it is) this CPU is a MUST.

Don't pass this up!
September 18, 2009 12:04:08 AM

Hey, thank you again!!
September 18, 2009 3:15:02 AM

The Athlon x4 620 is supposed to be only $100, so the 750 is more then $25. The 750 would perform better, but its twice the cost. This is a CPU task so the 750 is a good idea if he can swing it. And looking at $180 CPUs I'd spend the extra $20 to get the 750 if buying DDR3 ram and a P55 motherboard isn't going to be to much.

I wouldn't bother with the AMD 965/955. To much $$$ compared to the 750. That new Athlon X4 however overclocked to 3.2GHz+ might be just thing. $100 for something that has a shot against the 9550? NICE.
!