compaq laptops quality after HP buyout (merger)

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
May 23, 2004 8:40:28 PM

Hi!

I just would like to know if the compaq laptops quality has improved
after HP bought Compaq. It is my understanding that they used not to
be very good, I even was told to stay away from them, but that was a
couple of years ago before HP bought them.

I saw today in the newspaper good specials for compaq laptops and
those offers look appealing (best buy, circuit city, etc) but I
thought i should ask before buying one of them

thanks
al
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
May 24, 2004 9:40:38 PM

I'm very satisfied using Compaq Presario 2500 series. It's really good
choose - you have the same hardware cheaper even $500 than for example Dell'
s laptop

Marek
May 25, 2004 5:11:29 PM

I just worked on a customers Compaq, It was 16 months old and the
motherboard was bad. All Compaq would do for him was replace the m/b for
$960. Needless to say he sold his old Compaq for parts and bought a
different brand.
Rob
"Marek" <trampen@go2.pl> wrote in message
> I'm very satisfied using Compaq Presario 2500 series. It's really good
> choose - you have the same hardware cheaper even $500 than for example
Dell'
> s laptop
>

> Marek

a b D Laptop
a b α HP
May 26, 2004 9:52:14 AM

Without extended warranty, any other company will do the same thing. My
argument for buying extended.

"Rob" <bucfan11SPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I just worked on a customers Compaq, It was 16 months old and the
> motherboard was bad. All Compaq would do for him was replace the m/b for
> $960. Needless to say he sold his old Compaq for parts and bought a
> different brand.
> Rob
> "Marek" <trampen@go2.pl> wrote in message
> > I'm very satisfied using Compaq Presario 2500 series. It's really good
> > choose - you have the same hardware cheaper even $500 than for example
> Dell'
> > s laptop
> >

> > Marek

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
May 29, 2004 5:14:00 AM

Compaq was sourcing the 2811 and Evo800 series from LG. Post merger they got
the units and successors from other com,panies that did not make a very nice
latop.

They are big piles of cheap ugly plastic now.

I would recommend finding something nicer like Acer or Asus.

"alfonso gayoso" <alfomail@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I just would like to know if the compaq laptops quality has improved
> after HP bought Compaq. It is my understanding that they used not to
> be very good, I even was told to stay away from them, but that was a
> couple of years ago before HP bought them.
>
> I saw today in the newspaper good specials for compaq laptops and
> those offers look appealing (best buy, circuit city, etc) but I
> thought i should ask before buying one of them
>
> thanks
> al
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
May 29, 2004 5:14:01 AM

lewdvig wrote:

> Compaq was sourcing the 2811 and Evo800 series from LG. Post merger they got
> the units and successors from other com,panies that did not make a very nice
> latop.

A few weeks ago I was looking for a laptop for my first, current, and very
expensive wife. Since this house runs Linux, I wanted something that was
compatible. I took my handy Knoppix CD with me and popped it in all of the
laptops at Circuit City..... Toshiba, HP, Comapq, Averatec, and one or two
others I don't recall. The only one that would not boot were the Compaqs.

I bought a Toshiba A45-S151. Runs Slackware, KDE, the whole Linux mess just
fine.

ANC
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
May 29, 2004 5:14:02 AM

A-B C. <atakeoutcanton@adams-blaketakeout.com> wrote:
:
: others I don't recall. The only one that would not boot were the Compaqs.
:
It may have, if you had fiddled with it, but with so many
choices, why bother to fiddle.

I don't understand why HP keeps the Compaq name alive. Kill
it already. Other than it "offers" a "choice", and takes up more
shelf space at the electronics stores. Hmmm...

Bruce
"I like bad!" Bruce Burden Austin, TX.
- Thuganlitha
The Power and the Prophet
Robert Don Hughes

a b D Laptop
a b α HP
May 31, 2004 7:08:21 PM

alfonso gayoso wrote:
|| Hi!
|| I just would like to know if the compaq laptops quality has improved
|| after HP bought Compaq. It is my understanding that they used not to
|| be very good, I even was told to stay away from them, but that was a
|| couple of years ago before HP bought them.
|| I saw today in the newspaper good specials for compaq laptops and
|| those offers look appealing (best buy, circuit city, etc) but I
|| thought i should ask before buying one of them
|| thanks
|| al

I recently got a R3000 (R3065CA in Canada, similar to the R3000T in the US I
beleive). I was searching for cheap and powerfull laptop. Battery life was
not important and weight wasen't neither. For what I could find available at
the moment, it was the cheapest for its configuration. Also, I must say I
love the way it is built. I've prepared many Toshiba for our users at work,
as well as a few Acer. While the Toshiba can feel a bit stronger built, it's
ergonomy is not off my favorite (plugs location etc...). The Acer felt about
the same. The only Compaq model that I know is the one I have. Also, Toshiba
ships their laptops with a big load of additional software, that may or may
not be necesary. My Compaq had nothing but default Windows stuff. A drawback
is the lack of a power management other then the Windows one. The Toshiba
has a very useful one.
Hope that helps
June 1, 2004 5:14:48 PM

I would steer well clear of Compaq. I bought a 700 series two years ago. It
has all sorts of problems with overheating, and crashing. I wanted to put
more RAM in it as it was sluggish running Win XP on 128mb.

The next problem was that Compaq stopped selling the RAM, as did many other
suppliers. The reason being that it adds to the problem, with the laptop
heating up even more, and crashing more often.

What did Compaq want to do about it? ...Nothing. I was stuck with a turkey.
They did release a firmware upgrade, to make the fan turn on more often
though. Even if you have notepad open the fan comes on.

So with Compaq's after sales support of zero. I would recommend anyone not
to go there.

When I was looking around for a new laptop recently, as XP was virtually
unusable on the Compaq, I noticed that many retailers were selling bargain
Compaq computers, which didn't look too different from the one I had.

Now have a Toshiba, which seems to be much better all round, and will
hopefully last me a little longer.

"Maxx" <maxx@themaxx.canada> wrote in message
> alfonso gayoso wrote:
> || Hi!
> || I just would like to know if the compaq laptops quality has improved
> || after HP bought Compaq. It is my understanding that they used not to
> || be very good, I even was told to stay away from them, but that was a
> || couple of years ago before HP bought them.
> || I saw today in the newspaper good specials for compaq laptops and
> || those offers look appealing (best buy, circuit city, etc) but I
> || thought i should ask before buying one of them
> || thanks
> || al
>
> I recently got a R3000 (R3065CA in Canada, similar to the R3000T in the US
> beleive). I was searching for cheap and powerfull laptop. Battery life was
> not important and weight wasen't neither. For what I could find available
at
> the moment, it was the cheapest for its configuration. Also, I must say I
> love the way it is built. I've prepared many Toshiba for our users at
work,
> as well as a few Acer. While the Toshiba can feel a bit stronger built,
it's
> ergonomy is not off my favorite (plugs location etc...). The Acer felt
about
> the same. The only Compaq model that I know is the one I have. Also,
Toshiba
> ships their laptops with a big load of additional software, that may or
may
> not be necesary. My Compaq had nothing but default Windows stuff. A
drawback
> is the lack of a power management other then the Windows one. The Toshiba
> has a very useful one.
> Hope that helps

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
June 2, 2004 12:24:53 AM

Nowdays, HP is the one supporting it's Compaq brand. And I find HP support
to be as bad as any other big company is when dealing with home users. Your
call end up in India, talking to "Peter" in an english only Peter's teacher
and himself understand. Good support nowdays is a rarerity.

JD wrote:
|| I would steer well clear of Compaq. I bought a 700 series two years
|| ago. It has all sorts of problems with overheating, and crashing. I
|| wanted to put more RAM in it as it was sluggish running Win XP on
|| 128mb.
|| The next problem was that Compaq stopped selling the RAM, as did
|| many other suppliers. The reason being that it adds to the problem,
|| with the laptop heating up even more, and crashing more often.
|| What did Compaq want to do about it? ...Nothing. I was stuck with a
|| turkey. They did release a firmware upgrade, to make the fan turn on
|| more often though. Even if you have notepad open the fan comes on.
|| So with Compaq's after sales support of zero. I would recommend
|| anyone not to go there.
|| When I was looking around for a new laptop recently, as XP was
|| virtually unusable on the Compaq, I noticed that many retailers were
|| selling bargain Compaq computers, which didn't look too different
|| from the one I had.
|| Now have a Toshiba, which seems to be much better all round, and
|| will hopefully last me a little longer.
|| "Maxx" <maxx@themaxx.canada> wrote in message
||| I recently got a R3000 (R3065CA in Canada, similar to the R3000T in
||| the US I beleive). I was searching for cheap and powerfull laptop.
||| Battery life was not important and weight wasen't neither. For what
||| I could find available at the moment, it was the cheapest for its
||| configuration. Also, I must say I love the way it is built. I've
||| prepared many Toshiba for our users at work, as well as a few Acer.
||| While the Toshiba can feel a bit stronger built, it's ergonomy is
||| not off my favorite (plugs location etc...). The Acer felt about
||| the same. The only Compaq model that I know is the one I have.
||| Also, Toshiba ships their laptops with a big load of additional
||| software, that may or may not be necesary. My Compaq had nothing
||| but default Windows stuff. A drawback is the lack of a power
||| management other then the Windows one. The Toshiba has a very
||| useful one.
||| Hope that helps
June 2, 2004 12:37:20 AM

I agree 100%.
It's happened to me everytime with both Dell and HP also, I couldn't
understand every ONE of these support guy's said.

-Joe

"Maxx" <maxx@themaxx.canada> wrote in message
news:p C5vc.48$B%4.35@clgrps12...
> Nowdays, HP is the one supporting it's Compaq brand. And I find HP support
> to be as bad as any other big company is when dealing with home users.
Your
> call end up in India, talking to "Peter" in an english only Peter's
teacher
> and himself understand. Good support nowdays is a rarerity.
>
> JD wrote:
> || I would steer well clear of Compaq. I bought a 700 series two years
> || ago. It has all sorts of problems with overheating, and crashing. I
> || wanted to put more RAM in it as it was sluggish running Win XP on
> || 128mb.
> || The next problem was that Compaq stopped selling the RAM, as did
> || many other suppliers. The reason being that it adds to the problem,
> || with the laptop heating up even more, and crashing more often.
> || What did Compaq want to do about it? ...Nothing. I was stuck with a
> || turkey. They did release a firmware upgrade, to make the fan turn on
> || more often though. Even if you have notepad open the fan comes on.
> || So with Compaq's after sales support of zero. I would recommend
> || anyone not to go there.
> || When I was looking around for a new laptop recently, as XP was
> || virtually unusable on the Compaq, I noticed that many retailers were
> || selling bargain Compaq computers, which didn't look too different
> || from the one I had.
> || Now have a Toshiba, which seems to be much better all round, and
> || will hopefully last me a little longer.
> || "Maxx" <maxx@themaxx.canada> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
June 6, 2004 4:59:07 PM

alfomail@yahoo.com (alfonso gayoso) writes:

> Hi!
>
> I just would like to know if the compaq laptops quality has improved
> after HP bought Compaq. It is my understanding that they used not to
> be very good, I even was told to stay away from them, but that was a
> couple of years ago before HP bought them.

I've pleased with my Compaq EVON610c. build quality is nice, not too
big/heavy. The display isn't as bright as my thinkpad x20 when
running on battery. :(

I've had to replace the keyboard (left shift went intermittent).

> I saw today in the newspaper good specials for compaq laptops and
> those offers look appealing (best buy, circuit city, etc) but I
> thought i should ask before buying one of them

Don't think Evo is sold in those stored (it is a business laptop, not
a home one)...

--
-rupa
Anonymous

On 6 Jun 2004 12:59:07 -0500, Rupa Schomaker <rupa+usenet@rupa.com>
wrote:

>I've pleased with my Compaq EVON610c. build quality is nice, not too
>big/heavy. The display isn't as bright as my thinkpad x20 when
>running on battery. :(

Have these at work - nice machines. Make sure to have the Compaq
Power driver and the Hotkey drivers installed. The Power driver
enables better battery control and the function-key driver enables the
Function brightness keys (see the blue-labels on the Function Keys).
You can then control in the Power Control panel what happens to the
screen brightness by default when on Battery, and quickly adjust the
brightness on the fly with the Function-Key's. Works well. Increase
when needed and decrease when don't need the brightness.

- Ron
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b α HP
June 14, 2004 1:00:36 PM

Joe,

I would recommend that you invest a few bucks a laptop cooler it will
solve your overheating problem. I purchased an aluminum notebook
cooler a few weeks ago for my Toshiba and boy did it help cool down
the laptop. I would recommend going to hardwarecooling.com and talk
to one of their staff in helping you choose the right laptop cooler
for your laptop. They have a large selection of notebook cooler for
you to choose from. You can check out all their notebook coolers by
going here: http://www.hardwarecooling.com/default.php/cPath/33

I hope this piece of information helps.

Regards,
Jack Lee