Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU fan for 24/7 OC?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 9, 2011 4:26:20 PM

Current Specs:

CPU: Intel i7 2600k Sandy Bridge 3.4Ghz (3.8Ghz Turbo) stable overclocked to 4.4Ghz w/ stock CPU fan
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 B3 LE (Rev 3.0)
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
Boot Drive: 120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD (550Mb/s Read)
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 6970 2GB DDR5
Case: NZXT Phantom - 2x200mm & 3x120mm Case Fans
Display: 3x Acer 23" LED Backlit LCD 1920x1080 Monitors running Eyefinity Display @ 5760 x 1080 resolution

My question is primarily in regards to what CPU fan would give me the best temperature, while still being as quiet as possible. I'm currently using the stock CPU fan and have been looking at aftermarket fans to complete my build. I realize this may be a situation where I can't have my cake and eat it too, but most reviews I've been finding are either focused on temperature, or noise, and haven't seen any that really outline both.

Currently my CPU is overclocked just by using the pre-set overclock setting in the BIOS. It's a stable 4.4Ghz that I run 24/7, and the temperature sits at about 50ºC idle and 72ºC at load with an ambient temperature of about 23ºC. I know that is well within the safe range, however I'm looking at potentially pushing it higher than 4.4Ghz, and would feel more comfortable if I could get the temperature to sit in the low to mid 60's before I start pushing the CPU any higher. At the same time, I can't stand the sound of fans running bleeding into my game sound, so I'm looking for one that will be quiet enough, yet give me a temp decrease that I'm looking for.

Like I said before, this may be wishful thinking, but haven't been able to find anything that talks about both.

More about : cpu fan

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
December 10, 2011 8:10:16 AM

Noctua NH-D14 is a popular choice. Or the Thermalright Silver Arrow:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11676/cpu-tri-77/Ther...

Note that you won't be able to fit the side case fan with these large tower CPU coolers in the NZXT Phantom.

And, finally, you could venture into watercooling units from Corsair and Antec Kuhler.
December 18, 2011 1:24:06 AM

Best answer selected by wdomon.
!