Problems getting in to my system

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Hi it's me again :(. i got the new PSU today hooked it up and the system fired right up, then it got to the point of asking me for my password to login and no matter what I wrote it didn't accept it. So I stuck in my XP pro disk and did aquick format of both the drives but when it go to the point of verifying dmpi information(i think its dmpi could be something else) it just sat there over and over again. so now I'm doing a long format of only drive C and I'm hoping it will b\eventually bring me to the login screen where I can start all oiver and create a new password. If not then I have no clue what to do.

So if this does not work I'll be back. If someone here could point out what I did wrong when trying to login I'd appreciate it. I do have a disc for the new motherboard but of course the system won;t take that until I get the OS installed.

As usual I'm stuck. To be 100% honest I probably shouldn't have attempted this fix. I used to be able to do this stuff without thinking about it, but now my disability is screwing with my mind and I cannot remember how to do technical things that I used to be able to do without thought. It sucks but thats the way it is I guess :(.

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
btw how do you get in to a system that you cannot remember the password on? Or was it the fact that I have a new motherboard and CPU and thats why it didn't take my passwords?

alazeer

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Thanks, as it turned out I had to reformat my drives before the OS would install correctly, no big deal as there was nothing on it that I would freak out about losing if I did lose it. After that I was was able to login and start updating the system, of course losing cable part way through the updating process was a huge PIA. I'm still in the process of updating the system now.