HD5870 overclock to HD6950

If I were to overclock my HD5870 to 880/1250 from the default 850/1200 in theory it *should* equal the performance of the 6950 at stock(correct me if I'm wrong)... with the exception of the 6950 being an updated version of DX 11 and OpenGL. Anyone able to confirm this?

Also the HD5870 that I have is an un-branded reference model with high suspensions that it's a VisonTek model. If I were to flash it with say an MSI or Sapphire bios would I have a more stable card or better a card that lasts longer due to firmware?

Lastly if I were to "brick" my 5870 during the flashing process would I be able to use a Z68 mobo and sandybridge to force flash a bios on the bricked card? Thanks in advance!
19 answers Last reply
More about hd5870 overclock hd6950
  1. http://www.hwcompare.com/6132/radeon-hd-5870-vs-radeon-hd-6950/
    the 5870 on amazon is about 60 dollars cheaper, but finding one new is another story. I would try and get a 6950 reference card if you were considering flashing the bios.
  2. undercovernerd6 said:
    http://www.hwcompare.com/6132/radeon-hd-5870-vs-radeon-hd-6950/
    the 5870 on amazon is about 60 dollars cheaper, but finding one new is another story. I would try and get a 6950 reference card if you were considering flashing the bios.


    Already ordered the 5870 for $144.98 shipped. Claims it's a new card but we shall see. Base on that hwcompare site I managed to come up with that 880/1250 figure to match the performance of the 6950.

    With that being said however would flashing the bios make it more stable/last longer due to a firmware or is hardware... hardware no matter the firmware? And if bricked any options for me to unbrick it? :)
  3. You are wrong. For one the tessellation performance of the 6xxx series is greatly improved, though really this only shows true benefits in a few games. In other games the 5870 is a little faster than the 6950 as it. The 5870 use VILW5 while the newer 6950 uses VILW4. In general the latter grouping is more efficient, but again not always. Flashing it to a BIOS meant for another card will make it more unstable if anything and yes you just might brick it.
  4. megamanx00 said:
    You are wrong. For one the tessellation performance of the 6xxx series is greatly improved, though really this only shows true benefits in a few games. In other games the 5870 is a little faster than the 6950 as it. The 5870 use VILW5 while the newer 6950 uses VILW4. In general the latter grouping is more efficient, but again not always. Flashing it to a BIOS meant for another card will make it more unstable if anything and yes you just might brick it.


    "with the exception of the 6950 being an updated version of DX 11 and OpenGL" << Already said that fact so I'm not wrong lol.

    And these cards are *all* pretty much the exact same cards with their own logos on them and different bios files. Or in lame mans terms all the card are identical hardware-wise.
  5. Centora said:
    "with the exception of the 6950 being an updated version of DX 11 and OpenGL" << Already said that fact so I'm not wrong lol.

    And these cards are *all* pretty much the exact same cards with their own logos on them and different bios files. Or in lame mans terms all the card are identical hardware-wise.


    You don't understand. The 6900 cards are different at a fundamental level. The 6800 cards are closer in architecture to the 5800 cards, though the 6800 series of course has a more efficient design to compensate for fewer shaders and slightly lower memory.

    As for flashing the BIOS it depends on what BIOS you use. Yes most of the reference cards are the same, but some of them use different PCBs (like my Gigabyte Ultra Durables) and some might use RAM with slightly different timings for higher speeds. If you already have your mind made up though then do so at your own risk.
  6. megamanx00 said:
    You don't understand. The 6900 cards are different at a fundamental level. The 6800 cards are closer in architecture to the 5800 cards, though the 6800 series of course has a more efficient design to compensate for fewer shaders and slightly lower memory.

    As for flashing the BIOS it depends on what BIOS you use. Yes most of the reference cards are the same, but some of them use different PCBs (like my Gigabyte Ultra Durables) and some might use RAM with slightly different timings for higher speeds. If you already have your mind made up though then do so at your own risk.


    So in otherwords 5870 is good enough for a gamer that likes using High settings vs maxed. :)
  7. A 5870 is barely faster then the 4870s. You are pretty much locked in at medium settings with no AA and thats if your cpu is not holding you back.
  8. jerzeygamer said:
    A 5870 is barely faster then the 4870s. You are pretty much locked in at medium settings with no AA and thats if your cpu is not holding you back.


    I'll be rolling with 1280x720 resolutions and cpu is an overclocked 2500k :-]

    Edit: Btw based on this entry by Toms Hardware the 4870 is nowhere near the 5870. The 5870 even beats 4870 x2.
  9. The 5870 is much faster than the 4870, no contest.

    As said already, the 6950 is a little faster when both cards are running stock. I think something like 5 or 10 percent in favor of the 6950. That said, making up for that via an easy overclock in MSI Afterburner is all but guaranteed. My 5870 does 980mhz just a tad over stock volts.

    At that speed it gets much higher scores in 3dmark11 then the 6950 stock, and better FPS than many 6950 users in BF3, with the same resolution and in game settings.

    Your card is more than you need at 1280 res, no worries
  10. Cygnus x-1 said:
    The 5870 is much faster than the 4870, no contest.

    As said already, the 6950 is a little faster when both cards are running stock. I think something like 5 or 10 percent in favor of the 6950. That said, making up for that via an easy overclock in MSI Afterburner is all but guaranteed. My 5870 does 980mhz just a tad over stock volts.

    At that speed it gets much higher scores in 3dmark11 then the 6950 stock, and better FPS than many 6950 users in BF3, with the same resolution and in game settings.

    Your card is more than you need at 1280 res, no worries


    Yeah thats exactly what I was thinking when I bought the card. Now I'm the type of person that isn't greedy... like my CPU can do 4.7GHz with 1.32v vCore and decent temps but I only wanted a 1GHz overclock so I'm running with 4.3GHz on my 2500k. Same goes for the vid card... 880/1250 is primarily the goal to match theoretically match a 6950 in terms of bandwidth, textures, etc. If by chance the 6950 utilizes a newer feature of DX 11 giving it the ability to run better at lower specs than that is just what it will have to be. Be wonderful to get 880/1250 with stock volts.. Thinking I might get the VF1000 cooler though.. is this a decent VGA hsf?
  11. jerzeygamer said:
    A 5870 is barely faster then the 4870s. You are pretty much locked in at medium settings with no AA and thats if your cpu is not holding you back.


    Wow guy come on now....
  12. Centora said:
    Yeah thats exactly what I was thinking when I bought the card. Now I'm the type of person that isn't greedy... like my CPU can do 4.7GHz with 1.32v vCore and decent temps but I only wanted a 1GHz overclock so I'm running with 4.3GHz on my 2500k. Same goes for the vid card... 880/1250 is primarily the goal to match theoretically match a 6950 in terms of bandwidth, textures, etc. If by chance the 6950 utilizes a newer feature of DX 11 giving it the ability to run better at lower specs than that is just what it will have to be. Be wonderful to get 880/1250 with stock volts.. Thinking I might get the VF1000 cooler though.. is this a decent VGA hsf?


    I have a VF3000a on mine and it keeps my temps well below 60c while completely maxed out in BF3 for hours. That's at 980mhz and 1240 on the ram with 1.187v. stock is something like 1.172 or close to that I don't recall.
    .
  13. Cygnus x-1 said:
    I have a VF3000a on mine and it keeps my temps well below 60c while completely maxed out in BF3 for hours. That's at 980mhz and 1240 on the ram with 1.187v. stock is something like 1.172 or close to that I don't recall.
    .

    Ohh hmmm... couldnt get err to 1250MHz on the ram... thats a shame lol. You think the VF3000 is better than the VF1000? VF1000 I can pick up for $36 shipped.
  14. Yeah my core can do 1000+ if I add more voltage, but my memory just doesn't clock well.

    The only thing I don't like about the Vf3000 is it does vent some heat into the case. with good airflow it shouldn't be problem, but something worth noting. The VF1000 seems to vent the same way, so that isn't a big deal I guess. The 3000a is better but it cost more so that's up to you. I like the extra two large heat sinks the 3000a comes with to cover extra components and vrm chips.
  15. a 5870 can easily do 950+ on the core, giving pretty good boost to stock performance.

    and at 1280 res, LOL. a 5770 would be more than sufficient for that.
    a 5870 is MASSIVE overkill for 1280 res.
    it is enough for 1920x1080.
  16. I agree,even stock, that card can max any game running 1280 reolution.
  17. Hmm... Think I'll get the VF1000, take the stock fan off of it, and add a high CF 120mm to it with the help of some zip ties xD. I might very well give 1920x1080 a go but if I don't see any diff between 1080 and 720... I want the extra fps so 720 ftw!! :-]
  18. When I overclocked my HD 5870 from 875/1225 to 932/1327, the only improvement I saw was the low FPS during the Unigine Heaven Benchmark.
  19. Tyrotoxicity said:
    When I overclocked my HD 5870 from 875/1225 to 932/1327, the only improvement I saw was the low FPS during the Unigine Heaven Benchmark.


    Sometimes while you overclock higher clocks doesn't always mean better fps. Try lowering the ram feq to 1225 and see if you see a change from stock 875/1225 using 932/1225. If so keep increasing the mem until game fps/benchmarks stop increasing. From what I'm reading the ram chips on the 5870's don't overclock very well. :/
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Overclocking