Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Stop disk space using

Last response: in Storage
Share
July 17, 2011 2:53:55 PM

Please can anyone tell me how to stop disk space using by C:, i want to limit C: drive disk space usage.i m using win7. :hello: 

More about : stop disk space

a c 104 G Storage
July 18, 2011 12:00:36 PM

Hello,

You will need to be more specific in what you are trying to accomplish.

If you want to limit the amount of disk space a User can use on a computer or workstation, you can set as an Admin a quota allocated to that User.
It done by double clicking on 'Computer', click on Properties, then Quotas, then click on the 'Show Quota Settings' button where you can limit how much disk space any single user can tie up.

If you want to know how much space is being used by an appl or certain files or folders, download and run WinDirStat, which is free and will show you in graphical form what is using what. Then you can limit that specific useage.
m
0
l
a c 289 G Storage
July 18, 2011 1:45:28 PM

Another possible answer (depending on your exact question) could be to move the My Documents folders, pagefile, and/or other space-eaters to another driver.

Yet another, if you have installed Service Pack 1, is to get rid of the gigabytes of backout files that were saved when you installed SP1.

Can you give us more info, such as
The size of your C drive
Whether or not you have other partitions on that drive and other drives in the system.
How much space is used
How much of that is your OS and how much is data or your iTunes library (john_VanKirk is exactly right; WinDirStat is an excellent tool for that. Be sure to enable the display of hidden space).

Note that, by default, the OS allocates space for "restore points," to allow you to roll back your system state after a bad install or an infection. These take up space, too, and that space is hidden.

But we need to know where your space is going, and whether you want to just ditch the stuff or move it, before we help you. heck, maybe the answer is to buy a bigger drive.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 19, 2011 1:48:50 AM

My computer is only use by me, yes i tried disk quota, But i don't know how to use it.
will you help me to do that? How to set amount for these questions,

1.Limit disk space to
2.Set warning level to

i tried several ways but didn't work.

i have 50 GB hard disk which is 37 GB used space, and i have only 10 GB free.
i m not installed anything big on C drive other than few small software.

And when i select all files and checked properties and i get only 25.9 GB used space,
So why it show 37 GB used?
m
0
l
a c 289 G Storage
July 19, 2011 12:57:13 PM

isuru003 said:
And when i select all files and checked properties and i get only 25.9 GB used space,
So why it show 37 GB used?

First of all, there are a number of places where files exist that are normally hidden from you. I mentioned one main one in my previous post. If you surf the Internet, files are cached and the cache takes up space.

Second, we could really be more helpful if you could provide output from WinDirStat, as both John_VanKirk and I suggested. More info means more meaningful answers, rather than vague hand-waving about restore points and cache. If you do run WinDirStat, be sure to tick the option to show hidden space.

Third, 50 GB is awfully small for a whole system. Most people who install their OS on such a small SSD have a great honking big HDD for user data files.

------------------------------------------------

That said, if you prefer not to take the time to run WinDirStat and post an image of the results (you have to have it hosted and post a link), you could try turning off system restore. DO NOT do this unless you have system backups or are willing to accept the increased possibility of having to rebuild your system.

My Computer -> Properties -> System Restore tab. Look under the slider to see how much max space is allocated. Either move the slider to Min or check to Turn Off System Restore.

This will free up however much hidden space is being used for system restore, at the price of disabling the ability to roll back after a bad install.
m
0
l
July 19, 2011 4:21:15 PM

WyomingKnott said:
First of all, there are a number of places where files exist that are normally hidden from you. I mentioned one main one in my previous post. If you surf the Internet, files are cached and the cache takes up space.

Second, we could really be more helpful if you could provide output from WinDirStat, as both John_VanKirk and I suggested. More info means more meaningful answers, rather than vague hand-waving about restore points and cache. If you do run WinDirStat, be sure to tick the option to show hidden space.

Third, 50 GB is awfully small for a whole system. Most people who install their OS on such a small SSD have a great honking big HDD for user data files.

------------------------------------------------

That said, if you prefer not to take the time to run WinDirStat and post an image of the results (you have to have it hosted and post a link), you could try turning off system restore. DO NOT do this unless you have system backups or are willing to accept the increased possibility of having to rebuild your system.

My Computer -> Properties -> System Restore tab. Look under the slider to see how much max space is allocated. Either move the slider to Min or check to Turn Off System Restore.

This will free up however much hidden space is being used for system restore, at the price of disabling the ability to roll back after a bad install.






I'm using CClener to remove unwanted items from hard disk, And I normally run it every month.

And I did as you asked and put the output from WinDirSta here.

So please tell me what to do?

Is that OK that I delete *msi, *msp files, Because they taken almost 3GB.
m
0
l
a c 289 G Storage
July 20, 2011 12:37:23 AM

Okay, unless John or someone can weigh in ahead of me this may take a while. Be patient with me...

1) I wouldn't touch the .msi and .msp files unless I knew where and what they were. Probably install packages that you can get rid of, but only probably. I'd hate to break your system.

2) The "system files" are pretty big. Can you look and see the size of c:\pagefile.sys and, if it exists, c:\hiberfil.sys? These may or may not be eating up a fair chunk. You could also try clicking on each of the two big red "pillows" at the upper-right. If my guess is correct, each of these will be one file, probably pagefile and hiberfil.

I'm going to guess that the "missing" 7 GB are either in these files or in the space used by System Restore.

If that does work, click on the big grey pillow and see if it shows anything useful.

3) In the tree on the upper-left panel, I notice that there are 13 <Files> that take up 10.5 GB. Could you expand that to the detail level and see if it suggests anything to you, let us know what the over-one-GB files are?

4) Do you have system restore enabled or not? Would you be willing to give it up if you did?

-----------------------------

You sure as heck aren't running much in the way of user data or storing iTunes, with no usage in Documents and Settings. Have you moved those files to another drive, or is this the only drive in the system?

Wouldn't it be easier to buy a 100 GB drive and transfer your system, so you just don't have to spend time worrying about it?

Finally, I'm not familiar with CClener (I'll go read about it). One thing that I have noticed eats up space as time goes by is uninstall files. Apply a patch, it keeps the uninstall files. Apply Win7 SP1, and there go gigabtypes of storage space for the rollback. If you are running Win7 and losing space to patches, the disk cleanup tool can, I am told, free up gobs of space by removing the uninstall files. Unless that is what CClener is doing for you. I'll look into this and get back to you.

If you have the time and patience, look at my multitude of questions or things-to-try above.
m
0
l
July 20, 2011 1:36:49 AM

WyomingKnott said:
Okay, unless John or someone can weigh in ahead of me this may take a while. Be patient with me...

1) I wouldn't touch the .msi and .msp files unless I knew where and what they were. Probably install packages that you can get rid of, but only probably. I'd hate to break your system.

2) The "system files" are pretty big. Can you look and see the size of c:\pagefile.sys and, if it exists, c:\hiberfil.sys? These may or may not be eating up a fair chunk. You could also try clicking on each of the two big red "pillows" at the upper-right. If my guess is correct, each of these will be one file, probably pagefile and hiberfil.

I'm going to guess that the "missing" 7 GB are either in these files or in the space used by System Restore.

If that does work, click on the big grey pillow and see if it shows anything useful.

3) In the tree on the upper-left panel, I notice that there are 13 <Files> that take up 10.5 GB. Could you expand that to the detail level and see if it suggests anything to you, let us know what the over-one-GB files are?

4) Do you have system restore enabled or not? Would you be willing to give it up if you did?

-----------------------------

You sure as heck aren't running much in the way of user data or storing iTunes, with no usage in Documents and Settings. Have you moved those files to another drive, or is this the only drive in the system?

Wouldn't it be easier to buy a 100 GB drive and transfer your system, so you just don't have to spend time worrying about it?

Finally, I'm not familiar with CClener (I'll go read about it). One thing that I have noticed eats up space as time goes by is uninstall files. Apply a patch, it keeps the uninstall files. Apply Win7 SP1, and there go gigabtypes of storage space for the rollback. If you are running Win7 and losing space to patches, the disk cleanup tool can, I am told, free up gobs of space by removing the uninstall files. Unless that is what CClener is doing for you. I'll look into this and get back to you.

If you have the time and patience, look at my multitude of questions or things-to-try above.


OK, thank you for giving me help, It's look like problem solved.

I upload new image here with expanding <Files>



It's look like pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys taken almost 11GB
Is this normal or too much ?

And Yes system restore is enabled.

I have 2 hard drives with 250GB each.



Yes I have Win7 and installed SP1 through automatic updates,
I don't know hoe to delete automatic update files,
If you know please tell me :)  :) 

Finally I really appreciate your help, And thank you So much,
And thank to you now I know what happen to my Free space. :)  :hello: 















m
0
l
a c 104 G Storage
July 20, 2011 3:33:39 AM

Hi again,

I agree with Wyoming 100% in relation to allocation of space on this small partition.
Actually I would guess this 50GB partition is part of one of the larger 250 GB HDD that you speak about, it's just not large enough for what you want to place on it.

When you analyze it, there is still 25% free space left, just not a lot of total space, 12 GB, to manipulate.

I just installed this afternoon Win-7 + SP-1 + Norton Inter Sec on a new machine, which took up 38GB of space, nothing else installed, just the basics. So your having Win-7 + SP-1 in just 18.2 GB of space in the windows files is remarkable!

You can use CCleaner, to get rid of uninstaller files, it's a choice, but like Wyoming said, don't delete the installer files. You may end up with a non functional machine. It already looks pretty clean, essentially no temp files listed. Would let Windows set your pagefile.sys file size. 6GB is very spacious, but the size depends in part on how much RAM you have installed on the computer.

In view of all your other songs, videos, data, & games taking up almost all of the other space on your 2 250 GB drives, the best recommendation, and I think Wyoming would agree, is to get one, or two 1-2 TB HDD's and prepare your system for the much needed space. Then you could clone your boot partition over to a 100-150 GB partition and there would be no space worries at all, either for your system files, or storage for all your other data.
m
0
l
July 20, 2011 4:33:00 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi again,

I agree with Wyoming 100% in relation to allocation of space on this small partition.
Actually I would guess this 50GB partition is part of one of the larger 250 GB HDD that you speak about, it's just not large enough for what you want to place on it.

When you analyze it, there is still 25% free space left, just not a lot of total space, 12 GB, to manipulate.

I just installed this afternoon Win-7 + SP-1 + Norton Inter Sec on a new machine, which took up 38GB of space, nothing else installed, just the basics. So your having Win-7 + SP-1 in just 18.2 GB of space in the windows files is remarkable!

You can use CCleaner, to get rid of uninstaller files, it's a choice, but like Wyoming said, don't delete the installer files. You may end up with a non functional machine. It already looks pretty clean, essentially no temp files listed. Would let Windows set your pagefile.sys file size. 6GB is very spacious, but the size depends in part on how much RAM you have installed on the computer.

In view of all your other songs, videos, data, & games taking up almost all of the other space on your 2 250 GB drives, the best recommendation, and I think Wyoming would agree, is to get one, or two 1-2 TB HDD's and prepare your system for the much needed space. Then you could clone your boot partition over to a 100-150 GB partition and there would be no space worries at all, either for your system files, or storage for all your other data.



Yes I agree with you I should buy bigger hard disk rather than worrying free space and on the other hand 1-2TB hard disks are cheaper and it is worth to buy.

But this is not I'm worrying too much about, It is about my CPU overheat.
I started a thread yesterday about it and most of complain about my PSU is not good,

If you are not busy please check my that thread which is on CPU section and give your valuable ideas regarding that :)  :)  :) 
And thanks to your support :hello:  :hello: 
















m
0
l

Best solution

a c 289 G Storage
July 20, 2011 5:01:17 PM

Well, you've certainly given me enough information to work with! Thanks for the thorough post. Now I see that you are not working with a 50 GB drive, just an OS partition, so it makes more sense.

The hiberfile is, pretty much by definition, the size of your memory. If you hibernate your machine, the memory is copied to the hiberfile and the machine shuts down; on restart, the memory is loaded from the hiberfile. The only way to get rid of it is to disable hibernation - and you have to ask someone else how to do this in Win7. I've had the worst luck with hibernation and sleep mode.

The pagefile can be shrunken or moved to another partition / another drive. If you shrink or remove it, you will know when you need it back - your system will lock up solid. So you may want to leave it around, although you can control the size.

My three major recommendations are
1) Remove uninstall files. I'm great at this with XP, and don't know how to do it in Win7. So take john_VanKirk's advice if CCleaner will do it.

2) Move the pagefile to another partition. But it would be easier to just

3) Buy more storage space, per John, and get some files off of your system drive. You can then use a tool loke EASEUS Partition Magic to make the boot partition larger after freeing up some space from the partition after it. BACK UP YOUR SYSTEM BEFORE DOING THIS, JUST IN CASE.

--------------------------------

On hot CPUs, the very first step, if you haven't done so, is to blow all the dust out of heatsinks and fans, clean any filters and, if you are handy, check / replace the thermal compound. If you have a stock cooler, you might consider installing a meatier one.
Share
July 20, 2011 5:23:01 PM

WyomingKnott said:
Well, you've certainly given me enough information to work with! Thanks for the thorough post. Now I see that you are not working with a 50 GB drive, just an OS partition, so it makes more sense.

The hiberfile is, pretty much by definition, the size of your memory. If you hibernate your machine, the memory is copied to the hiberfile and the machine shuts down; on restart, the memory is loaded from the hiberfile. The only way to get rid of it is to disable hibernation - and you have to ask someone else how to do this in Win7. I've had the worst luck with hibernation and sleep mode.

The pagefile can be shrunken or moved to another partition / another drive. If you shrink or remove it, you will know when you need it back - your system will lock up solid. So you may want to leave it around, although you can control the size.

My three major recommendations are
1) Remove uninstall files. I'm great at this with XP, and don't know how to do it in Win7. So take john_VanKirk's advice if CCleaner will do it.

2) Move the pagefile to another partition. But it would be easier to just

3) Buy more storage space, per John, and get some files off of your system drive. You can then use a tool loke EASEUS Partition Magic to make the boot partition larger after freeing up some space from the partition after it. BACK UP YOUR SYSTEM BEFORE DOING THIS, JUST IN CASE.

--------------------------------

On hot CPUs, the very first step, if you haven't done so, is to blow all the dust out of heatsinks and fans, clean any filters and, if you are handy, check / replace the thermal compound. If you have a stock cooler, you might consider installing a meatier one.


First of all thank you so much for giving good attention for my problem,
Now I understand what should I do, :) 

But please if you are not busy please look my other thread regarding CPU over heat, I did every thing that i can, but still same problem, Any advice really appreciate. :) 

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/309400-28-overheat-ru...


















m
0
l
July 20, 2011 5:24:28 PM

Best answer selected by isuru003.
m
0
l
!