(Solved!)Gigabyte X58-UD5 two ATI 5450 PCIE cards dont work together)

dealove

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I have Gigabyte x58-ud5 MB with two Gigabyte ATI HD 5450 pcie cards in PCIE1 and PCIE2 slots. My problem is that when I put both of them in and boot the MB (each card is connected to a monitor in DVI mode), it posts but from only PCIE1 (only monitor attached to monitor 1 comes up).

I tried several different combinations:

1. Interchange the PCIE cards (both of them are working good)
2. Change the first display option to PCIE2 in BIOS (when I do this monitor attached to PCIE2 comes up but PCIE1 monitor doesn't come up)

I was wondering how to get the display from both the cards at the same time.

I am not interested in SLI or crossfire etc. I just want to be able to connect a monitor to each of those cards.

My config is:

Core i7 920
Gigabyte X58-UD5
2XGigabyte ATI HD 5450
3X2GB OCZ OCZ3G1600LV6GK DDR3 1600MHz
Thermaltake 850W
Arctic Freezer Pro Rev.2 Cooler
Antec 900 2 Case

P.S. I do not have the MB in the case yet as putting it in the case is causing some kind of short. The MB is currently on a cardboard and another case is on the way!

dealove

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

I haven't. It will probably work. But What I trying to do here is that have two monitors hooked to two cards (each card has 1 HDMI, 1 DVI, and 1 VGA) and have the TV's receiver hooked up to one of the HDMI's. So I would need two cards to be working to do that.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
The thing is that if you didn't plug in the Crossfire link only one card would work. The x58 is certified to support Crossfire without the link cable (i think). I got to say there are Eyefinity boards out there designed to do this. One more thing with 850W why settle for 2 5450s when you can get one big 5750? I understand the cost statement but still two 5450s don't perform as well as one of these.

bilbat

Splendid
Assuming it's an EX58-UD5 (and, dammit, that reminds me - when will people be bothered to put a full, correct MOBO part number in their title, for the convenience of those doing their research for them??!), from the GB product site at:
http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2961

In their 'signature' marginally translated Mandarin 'patois':

Scalable ability to both 3 way CrossFireX and 3 way SLI support for ultimate graphics performance

dealove

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

The part I bought actually is Gigabyte X58A-UD5. There is no "E". Sorry for the mix up.

bilbat

Splendid
Different number (left out the A instead :heink: ), same claim -

http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=3316

Item 9:

Scalable ability to both 3 way CrossFireX and 3 way SLI support for ultimate graphics performance

...oh, and I deliberately leave out the Xfire link between my ATIs, as I use four monitors, and when installing the driver, it will default to Xfire if it 'sees' the link, which effectively 'kills' a pair of my monitors - omitting the link should not disable a board...

bilbat

Splendid
My first query still remains my best guess; IOH configuration is, at its heart, a memory function; the IOH (which handles the links, and must 'query' and configure them at initialization) contains a huge block of 'memory-mapped' registers for that configuration... While I have never seen this pecuiarity before, I have seen large numbers of 'inaddressable memory' problems caused by damaged pins - always has amazed me, as you'd think random damage to its connections would completely disrupt the entire processor - not manifest as memory troubles. I can easily imagine that similar damage could be causing the start-up to 'miss' a block of IOH 'flags', and cause the PCIe to 'burp' in one way or another. And, it's an easy check - I've often gone ten rounds of 'why don't you check this' with people who have had the 'signature' 'missing memory' problem, only to have them sheepishly report back - "umm, yeah, bent pins..."

dealove

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

I am not looking for any power from GPU's (as long as I have three monitors without eating much into RAM) and as long as the computer runs my code faster than my current PC (Intel E6500 I believe). I also would like to have my TV as third monitor for multimedia purposes.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
If you can return the cards, AMD released Eyefinity versions of some cards that should fit your task. They can support up to 6 displays and shouldn't be too expensive over regular ones. Wait never mind, they were future products. I heard that AMD mobos that combine with Radeons lets you use the mobo's VGA plug as well. Anyway like my earlier question are you willing to switch one to VGA?

bilbat

Splendid
There are three monitor eyefinities - they all require one displayport monitor. I do the same thing you express viv-a-vis power; I do almost all 2-d work, hardly ever render; I have a lowly pair of 3850s running two pair of monitors, on an exceedinly fast workstation; I bought 'em 'cause they're easy on the power supply, easier on the pocketbook, have plenty 'oomph' to run aero , don't make an awful lot of heat, didn't have fans that resembled a helicopter blade, and I got full coverage water-cooling blocks for less than $40 a pop - and, I just don't game...

This is the result:
workstation006smio0.jpg

If you use a multi-monitor manager like UltraMon, you can 'spread' your media center experience across the whole array - but, I must say, I'd recommend having the outer dimension of the array an odd number (3x3, 5x5?), as with 2x2, the action in the average scene is typically centered, meaning the 'hole' between the monitors becomes a noticeable distraction :??:

Next workstation 'revamp' will sport somewhat more powerful cards, but mainly to run OpenCL - the 38xx don't support it...

dealove

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Solved!!

Well, I just tested the system with two monitors and ATI Catalyst flawlessly detected the two monitors (attached to two separate GPU's) and now I have extended display to the second monitor and it is working pretty good (The system rebooted automatically twice and I do not know the reason yet. I was using Adobe PDF both times though. Temp's were very reasonable- around 45 C)).

ATI drivers automatically detected the resolution of two monitors and set it accordingly.

P.S. Regarding the original problem: I think it was the power supply. I am currently running my old coolmax 600 W power supply (inctead of Thermaltake 850 W PS - never liked Thermaltake but wanted to give it a chance - never buying it again) and the system boots perfectly. No reboots (except those two which I will have to figure out - I think they were due to ATI - Adobe Clash) and system boots every time it is switched on. Filled an RMA for Thermaltake (as Newegg would not take a return as I filed for a MIR - Big mistake) and hoping to get a proper replacement (Their website explicitly states that when RMA'd, the returned product will be a refurbished one). Have to see how it goes.

Thanks all for the help!

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Maybe that was the problem, as speechless as you, confused PCI-E delivers 75Ws per slot, Thermaltake is in my opinion a good brand but this is terrible if power flunks out at like 40-50% workload.