Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Wireless on Old Laptop Stopped Working

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 9, 2010 1:39:28 AM

I've got an old Dell Insprion 6400 running Windows XP with an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG modem. A few hours ago, the internet just dropped off. It's giving me a Code 10 error. According to Google searches, this is an error code associated with bad drivers or outdated drivers. I have upgraded to the most recent driver, and it still doesn't work. I have also tried to uninstall and reinstall the device through the Device Manager. I've also disabled and re-enabled it several times.

Can anybody give me some help?

Best solution

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 9, 2010 2:29:52 PM

It is feasible that the wireless adapter has failed. If so, probably the cheapest route is a USB or PCMCIA wireless adapter.

USB is probably cheaper but I personally think PCMCIA works better.
February 9, 2010 2:37:11 PM

If it had failed, would the computer even say its there? Is there a way to check if it has failed (other than the fact it doesn't work)?
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 9, 2010 2:52:57 PM

Depends what has failed in it.

You have checked if there's a physical switch for the wireless adapter (or a key combination) and that it's ON ?
m
l
February 9, 2010 2:58:50 PM

I don't think I have a physical switch. I'll check for sure once I get off work.

Anything else I should check to see if it failed?

If it has failed, any recommendations for a USB adaptor? I figure I can get more sue from that by moving it to my desktop later.
m
l
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 9, 2010 3:02:38 PM

As it's an older model of computer and all new ones come with wifi I'd keep cost to the minimum -- the main difference between leading brands and the cheaper unknowns is in after sales support.
m
l
February 9, 2010 7:56:45 PM

It looks like it probably just died. I don't have any kind of switch to turn it off, and the icon is missing from the Network Connections part of the control panel.

This is the cheapest one I found on Newegg. I assume it will do the job. If not let me know.
m
l
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 10, 2010 7:36:09 AM

Sorry, link was missing from you post but having a quick look I noticed the Asus (which is a big brand in laptops if not wireless ) and the Rosewill (which I've vaguely heard of) were cheap -- the Rosewill has a big antenna -- good, though it might get in the way.
m
l
February 10, 2010 10:09:09 AM

Link works for me...

It's the Rosewill RXN-N1 I was looking at.
m
l
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 10, 2010 11:12:35 AM

Apologies the link is there, I just didn't notice that it was a different colour.
m
l
February 10, 2010 12:36:13 PM

So would that one be good? I really have no idea what I'm doing when looking at networking stuff. I just looked for the fastest speed and the cheapest price...
m
l
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 10, 2010 12:50:03 PM

I have no idea -- but having bought both Netgear and secondhand no-name wireless adapters, they seemed to perform identically. So I wouldn't worry too much.
m
l
February 10, 2010 1:03:29 PM

Ok. Thanks for the help.
m
l
February 10, 2010 1:03:45 PM

Best answer selected by MadAdmiral.
m
l
!