Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[Computer freezing] during 3D gameplay, help!

Last response: in Motherboards
March 6, 2010 10:31:14 PM

Hello! I will try to explain my problem as well as I can.

[SPECS]
Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit
MOBO: Asus Maximus II Formula
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 8500 3.166Ghz
GPU: nVidia 260GTX (newest driver)
RAM: 2x 1024GB DDR2-800 OCZ Platinum // 2x 2GB DDR2-800 OCZ total 6gb
1 SATA HDD // 1 IDE HDD
Power Supply: OCZ GameXstream 700W
-------------

I have been running with the setup and overclock that is causing this problem for about 4-5 months.
When ever I play certain 3D games this problem occurs.

When I play Battlefield2 / Battlefield 2142 my computer freezes within 5-15 minutes of gaming. This freeze includes all visuals to freeze completely and the sound will skip extremely fast sounding just like a hair trimmer (a buzz). The ONLY way to get out of this is to restart or turn off the computer. <-- My computer being a stock of 3.166Ghz is overclocked (with the FSB only) to 3.6ghz. (333FSB x 9.5) Playing games such as Call of Duty MW2 do not cause this freeze.

With the new Battlefield Bad Company 2 being released, I have played it for 2.5 days without any freezing. Now it will freeze just like above after a few minutes usually. I may have pinpointed part of the problem.
Clocking back to 3.166Ghz hasnt caused any freezes (I have been playing for about an hour). What I'm trying to do now is downclock slowly from 3.6ghz down until it goes away. I've gotten to 3.4ghz so far and it DID freeze. I dont know too much about overclocking and I realize memory timings and voltages / cpu voltages also play a big role. These are all on automatic settings to automatically adjust... If this overclocking business is whats causing this than I need help with the settings to properly set it right...

My temperatures :

CPU seems to run at about 21deg celcius idle and under 55deg in a game.
GPU under 70deg at 85%fan power in Riva Tuner in a game.

Extra notes:
--> Sometimes my computer seems like its about to undergo this unique freeze for a split second, the sound skips than goes back to normal right away (very rare).

My old computer had this same problem during the end, and after a few months of it it was unable to read or detect SATA drives! The only device that is common between that computer and this one is my SATA HDD which doesnt seem to have any problems at all.
THIS PROBLEM MAY RELATE TO THIS THREAD
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252429-30-striker-fre...
March 6, 2010 11:05:44 PM

[UPDATE]
I have been playing stable for longer than it usually takes at 3343Mhz (358 x 0.5 FSB). could it possibly be that certain fsb's run stable and others dont, meaning that it may not necessarily be how high or low it is? Help!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 7, 2010 6:13:14 AM

Genuine said:
[UPDATE]
I have been playing stable for longer than it usually takes at 3343Mhz (358 x 0.5 FSB). could it possibly be that certain fsb's run stable and others dont, meaning that it may not necessarily be how high or low it is? Help!

I had already started on this track before I read your second post. You need a bit more education on how your FSB and memory are related I think.

Your STOCK FSB, as you know, is 333Mhz. The locked multiplier for your CPU is 9.5.

Let's say you increase your FSB to 400Mhz... this makes your CPU run at 400x9.5, or 3.8Ghz.

Your memory also has a multiplier and is linked to the FSB. However, it's multiplier is not locked. It wants to run at 800Mhz, so to start out it (it being your motherboard) will need to apply a multiplier greater than 2 to get there. Depending on the abilities of your board, that figure could be 2.4 or 2.225 or such.

FSB 333x 2.4 memory multiplier = ~ 800. Indeed, perhaps you noticed somewhere that your DRAM speed was not exactly 800.

So, suppose you now have turned your FSB off automatic.... Whatever you OC to you are ALSO changing the speed of your RAM.

So lets say your DRAM gets set up with a multi of 2.4.... now you bump the FSB to 358. 358x2.4 is 859.2... you have exceeded the rated speed for your memory.

To cut to the chase, you need to actually check your memory speed every time you change your FSB, before you leave the BIOS. Keep it at 800 or less. Depending on BIOS your memory speed selector can be shown in different ways... in your case it's probably a drop-down list of available frequencies based on the current FSB.

Your DDR2 can NEVER have a multiplier less than 2. That means that might not be able to go much over 400mhz on the FSB because the RAM might not handle it.

This is all my knee-jerk reaction to your issue. Let me know if it's off the mark and we'll look elsewhere.
m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2010 8:57:37 PM

Thanks for your post! My BIOS allows me to select the DRAM frequency from a drop down list. When I'm at 380FSB i get the lowest option of about 761mhz than the next step is over 800 and 900 etc. I tried frequencies under 800 and the computer still freezes. I think im going to try it at the defaults and see if it freezes, give it more time. Do you recommend using any programs that can stress my components like CPU, RAM, or both at same time to simulate gaming so I could test it there? if anyone can help me get this fixed I will gladly pay you on paypal!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 7, 2010 9:34:44 PM

In my sig is a link to my troubleshooting guide. There you will find a link to CPU-Z and Prime95. Also memtest+.

You may need to manually raise your DRAM voltage a bit to get stable.
m
l
March 7, 2010 10:30:27 PM

My RAM are rated 1.8v and it is set on auto. CPU-Z shows 1.8xx does raising it a bit higher (to like 2.0) risk damaging it? So this problem sounds like a RAM issue to you over all other things?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 7, 2010 10:58:02 PM

You would just be raising it to 1.82 or such. An overnight memtest should rule out any RAM issues.

The older titles I could expect would have issues with Win7 64, but not the newer one.

So yes, you should look at RAM as a first step for lockups.
m
l
March 8, 2010 12:27:33 AM

Alright. I ran Memtest for 1hour 15mins, and into its second test with 0 errors. Perhaps I'll let it run for a few more hours overnight than. Also just to let you know, I used to use 2 sticks of 1GB mushkin RAM instead of my 2x 1GB OCZ and I always got these freezes basically in any game. Those RAM caused this same problem in 2 different computers. I havent had this problem with any other game than the older battlefields with the new RAM until now. So good that you reminded me, it does sound like a RAM issue. Sorry to bother you with so much little questions, but do you recommend I set the timings to automatic and play with the DRAM voltages while keeping it under 800Mhz?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2010 5:26:54 AM

Yes but there's no need to play with voltages. Just tweak them a bit above stock and if that does not make things better forget it.

You should check the SPD tab in CPU-Z to make sure you know what the stock voltage and timings are supposed to be. Don't rely on what the package said or what is already in BIOS.
m
l
March 8, 2010 7:41:51 PM

Alright as of now it's still freezing.

My DRAM voltage was set to auto but showed to be ~1.865V in BIOS under the hardware monitor. I have set it down to 1.82650V and have yet to try this.
Since both pairs of my RAM are different types, they each have different timings listed on their package. When setting the timings, does this affect the overall timing for both? Same with voltage?

Here are the screenshots of CPU-Z
MEMORY:
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2448/cpuzmem.png
SPD slot 1:
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5290/cpuzspdslot1.png
SPD slot2:
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8859/cpuzspdslot2.png

PICTURES OF BIOS:
FREQUENCIES:
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8420/freqs1.jpg
VOLTAGE SETTINGS:
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4783/mobovolts1.jpg
HARDWARE MONITOR VOLTS:
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/5499/voltages1.jpg
CPU stuff:
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1828/cpu1.jpg
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4791/cpu1b.jpg

RAM info from SANDRA
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/8370/img0223ko.jpg
MEMTEST Results:
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/3220/memtest1.jpg
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
March 8, 2010 8:24:10 PM

Onboard voltage sensors are known to be poor. It's not always what is actually being delivered.

Given the slight differences in your RAM I would just set everything manually to 5-5-5-15-24. Those RAM modules could be incompatible anyway... OCZ could be more specific on their support forums about setting tweaks.

If you passed memtest though it's probably about time to move on to something else. What BIOS version are you using?

March 8, 2010 9:07:57 PM

I will try setting it to 5-5-5-15-24. The BIOS version installed is "Maximus II Formula 0802 BIOS" [07/10/2008] . The newest one on the Asus website is v2202 which is 9 versions newer. You probly recommend that I update right. I see a lot of versions listing memory compatability updates after mine...

EDIT / added info:
I tried 5-5-5-15-24 however there is no option to pick 24, its only multiples of 5, the closest being 25. My comp wont boot with anything under 35. I'm currently running at 5-5-5-15-35 now
--> http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/381/ram5551535.jpg
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 9, 2010 5:34:59 AM

Genuine said:
I see a lot of versions listing memory compatability updates after mine...

Yes because of this I would say you should. It's never something we suggest lightly or right off... flashing your BIOS always involves some risk.

To minimize risk always do it from a boot disk or DOS environment, never from Windows.
m
l
March 10, 2010 5:45:58 PM

Hello again! Thanks for all your help Proximon! After setting my timings to 5-5-5-15-35 and voltage 1.82650V it no longer freezes! I didnt have to update the BIOS either.
m
l
March 10, 2010 5:46:29 PM

Best answer selected by Genuine.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 10, 2010 8:02:33 PM

Yay. Keep your fingers crossed.
m
l
March 10, 2010 11:38:07 PM

Haha, thats for sure. I changed my in-game graphics in Bad Company 2 from Medium physical effects to high, Anti-aliasing from 2x to 4x, and Anisotropic from 1x to 2x. This caused it to freeze very quickly after only 2 minutes of gameplay. Switching it back made it stable. Looks like I gotta find the combination of the best possible settings in the games/apps and live with it.... (or get better at timings :p  somehow )
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 11, 2010 1:32:45 AM

There's nothing to say that you have to have only one issue going on. You should grab some other graphically intensive game demo and see if you can re-create the freezes there. The Just Cause 2 demo comes to mind.
m
l
March 11, 2010 1:49:03 AM

Alright, I shouldnt have spoken so soon. Ever since changing the AA up and getting a freeze, my computer now continuously freezes 15-30sec after loading a game in bad company 2!! The settings are all on how it was just currently running stable. I had it running without a freeze for at least 6 hours throughout 2 days. Its like freeze triggered something inside the computer....

^^Edits

I will try that demo and see whats up, I think its safe to confirm that one problem has to do with the AA being 4x. When the AA is 4x it freezes within 20-30secs, happened 3x in a row and vanished after setting it back to 2x...
m
l
March 12, 2010 6:23:22 PM

I havent gotten around to trying any new games yet, but it seems that what ever I do to increase the performance of BC2 creates a freeze 100% of the time within 30 seconds of joining an online game. Changing effects from medium-> high, AA 2x-4x, and I will now try Anisotrophic filtering from 1x --> 2x -->4x and see what happens. This all seems really strange.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 12, 2010 6:37:17 PM

How about sound settings? See if you can change sound to software or hardware, whichever, in the game.
m
l
March 14, 2010 12:26:07 AM

I've tried all the different sound settings and it doesnt have an impact on it. The freezes are beginning to become unpredictable again and its becoming a really annoying problem. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to find its source and fix it... its just too complicated. :(  I tried different RAM timings and voltages without any luck. Maybe I'm going to have to upgrade my BIOS after all, and maybe try older graphics card drivers.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 14, 2010 12:35:43 AM

Yes sorry, some issues are very hard. I had an annoying "hitch" during travel in WoW and Far Cry 2... movement while riding/flying/driving in those two games is irregular... but ONLY IN VISTA 64-BIT. XP pro and Windows 7 64-bit are fine.

You wouldn't believe the lengths I went to to fix it, covering half a year. I finally got Win 7 and now I'm happy.
m
l
March 14, 2010 10:12:56 PM

What makes this really wierd is that now it freezes the first time I start the game up in the day. Say I start it for the first time at 6pm it will freeze within a few seconds of gameplay, than after I restart it will perform normally for the rest of the day no matter how many times I reopen the game. Its just after the computer sits off for awhile. The computer also starts up than shuts off and restarts by itself after about 2 seconds each time I turn it back on after a freeze.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2010 1:43:04 AM

Since we know your temps are fine this could be a PSU issue. Unstable power could make your RAM more sensitive to change and cause those type of crashes.

No good way to test besides swapping it out.
m
l
March 15, 2010 2:07:10 AM

Aww no, I just spent $115 on a new one a few months ago. The only other supply i have is 430W which isnt enough to run my computer and the video card.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2010 5:15:38 AM

PSUs are the first suspect whenever a computer behaves badly cold then improves as it warms up. But that's not to say this is a heat issue for sure.

That restart behavior is also a sign of a PSU issue, or a short in the board.

Next time your PC is off, unplug it for a bit. When you start it up for the first time, after losing all power, you will notice the PC always does that double-start thing. So it can be connected to either a failed BIOS setting OR failed power.... and the failed power could either be the PSU, power from the wall, or the power circuits on the board.
m
l
March 23, 2010 5:16:13 PM

Proximon said:
PSUs are the first suspect whenever a computer behaves badly cold then improves as it warms up. But that's not to say this is a heat issue for sure.

That restart behavior is also a sign of a PSU issue, or a short in the board.

Next time your PC is off, unplug it for a bit. When you start it up for the first time, after losing all power, you will notice the PC always does that double-start thing. So it can be connected to either a failed BIOS setting OR failed power.... and the failed power could either be the PSU, power from the wall, or the power circuits on the board.

Hello again, I thought this problem was beginning to vanish.. I havent had a freeze all week until just now, I thought it may have been a new patch or the fact that I havent been running a gaming program called "Xfire". It ran so stable for these days that I put the graphics up to the max and it continued running stable for the rest of the day. The next day (today) it froze within the first few seconds so I put the graphics back down low but it froze again. The only thing that seems to break the pattern of a continuous freezing pattern every start up is to turn the power supply off and on with the switch and experience a double start afterwards.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 23, 2010 10:46:05 PM

Sorry, it's a long thread and I don't recall... Did you ever try simply resetting the CMOS? Your manual will explain how for your board.
m
l
!