Problems coordinating laptop and external monitor (Radeon Xpress 1100)

Dawi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
Problems with coordinating laptop and external monitor (ATI Radeon Xpress 1100)

I have some serious problems with coordinating my laptop and my monitor, and is desperate for any help you might have on the topic. The computer is an Acer Aspire 5102 with a ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 graphics card, and the monitor is an Eizo FlexScan S2431W. When I first connected the monitor (using normal VGA port, I have no HDMI on the laptop) everything worked out fine. This was about a year ago now, but after some time weird things started happening. I will list the problems that have occurred in a chronological order. At this point all these problems appear:

Problem 1: There is a strange flickering in the image displayed by the monitor. It seems to be not only low refresh rate, but some weird kind of flickering which makes the image kind of unsharp and hard to look at.
Problem 2: At some point, after a few months, it was no longer possible to run the monitor at full HD resolution (1920x1080). When I try ruining at this resolution the window is larger than the screen and the image will pan around if I try reaching the areas outside the screen. Also, the full with of the screen is not available anymore. There are black borders on both edges of the monitor that are unused. The highest resolution I can run now is 1600x1200 pixels.
Problem 3: In the last few months, I have had problems even getting an image to the monitor, and it seems to be getting worse and worse. Sometimes when I start up the laptop the monitor does not get any input signal at all. This can sometimes be solved by clicking ‘Detect Displays’ in the Catalyst Control Center (ATI driver software) but often this does not work. It may also sometimes be solved by restarting the computer. This effect feels very odd and seems to occur in a random manner. After having this problem for months I still fail to see a patter in what causes this. It is very frustrating. Sometimes I can’t get an image at all for days, and then suddenly it works without any apparent system changes.

So what have I done to try to fix this?

• Well, naturally, I’ve tried updating the graphics card drivers, but this did not help as far as I’ve seen. I did this a few months ago, but when I now try to update to the latest Catalyst drivers (9.8 and 9.9) I can’t even install them (I run windows XP professional, sp2, 32bit).
• I have also tried the monitor with other computers, and it works like a charm (none of the problems above occur), so I’m pretty sure there is no problem with the monitor itself. There’s something with the graphics card or drivers.
• I’ve been trying to find some info on the net for some similar issues, but haven’t found anything helpful yet

I would be grateful for any input at all on any of these issues. Does anyone have any experience of similar problems wit the Radeon Xpress 1100? Any ideas on what causes these things and how to deal with them?

Sorry for a long message, but I felt I needed to explain as good as possible since the problems are quite odd and hard to understand.

Now, please, I’m thankful for any help I can get on this, because it drives me mad not being able to use the monitor!

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
How are things when you use your laptop screen?
If that works fine it might be the cable between your laptop and the external monitor, or the cable socket in your laptop, or maybe you just didn't screw the VGA plugs in tight enough.

So try your laptop screen and if that's fine, check the cables, etc...

Dawi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
There are no problems with using the laptop screen.

However, since the external screen works with another computer I guess the cable is fine too. That leaves the VGA socket a suspicious villain. Could it really explain all three problems I mentioned? How would i go on checking this in a good way?

Dawi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
Can't find anything wrong with the cables, at lest no indication that there's trouble witht hem. Any other ideas?