What to sell out of old servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm220

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I have about 200 old servers that are about to go in the trash. I would like to strip them and take anything worth some money out of them even if it is just removing the heatsinks and taking them to the recycling center. the specs are:

DDR1/333 SDRAM or DDR1/400 and there is 73 gig scsi drives in all of them.
single-core AMD Opterons

Other then heatsinks is there anything else that i can recycle in a standard server?

You should be able to sell the DDR RAM. New DDR1 RAM is a bit pricey, especially the registered kind, so people looking to keep old machines chugging along will pay for it. Same for the CPU and motherboards, but less so. You may be better off selling the motherboards and CPUs for gold recovery for a few bucks depending on how fast you want to move them. You could also see if there are any electronic recycling places close to you that will take them, without charging you of course :D. Same goes for the PSUs. As for the cases you can just throw them up on craigs list or something for a few bucks perhaps. If not, you can get a few bucks by taking them to someone who recycles scrap metal.

jamac666

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
These sort of server sell very well on ebay. I would recommend putting a few on and then waiting to see whether it is worth putting them all on. The SCSI hardrives are worth quite a bit if they are in good condition (about £15-£20 each!) So I would deffinately list them. If you cann't be arsed then i'll have em'!.

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I'd list them on craigslist...

If you're going to pull what you can and get rid of the chassis, you could mayb elist lots on ebay.

If you have 200 73gb drives... you can probably get a good amount for them, maybe break into lots of 10 or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.