3.25GB usable 8.00GB installed PLEASE HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

safewaysecurity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Hey guys I bought the p7p55d Deluxe motherboard by asus a while ago and have been having a few problems with it. I solved them all except this memory problem. I started out with a 2x2 dual channel setup. I installed the Corsair XMS DD3 sticks in both of the matching slots and when I booted it it said in windows 4.00GB Installed ( 1.99GB usable ). I decided to buy 4 more gigs of ram to see if it was just doing something stupid with 2 gigs of it and now I have 8GB installed but now it says only 3.24GB USABLE. I am running Windows 7 x64 bit and my graphics card is the 285 GTX 2GB edition. Also in my bios it shows only the usable ram NOT the installed that it shows on windows so I think it's a bios problem. Please if anyone knows the solution please tell me.

safewaysecurity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Is there anything I need to know in order to do it? I've never updated my bios b4 and have heard alot of horror stories and I'm scared i'm going to do something wrong. Is it as simple as downloading the update and installing it for my type of mobo or is it more complicated than that?

edlewis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I have exactly the same issue and here is what I found. I swapped the Mobo (ASUS), Memory (Corsair) and Processor (Intel) with the respective manufacturers and it did not solve the issue. They blamed each other by-the-way. This is a BIOS issue.

Until AM/ASUS come up with a BIOS upgrade that solves the issue, you have two options: 1. run the 8Gb of installed memory at 3.325Gb (Usable) and have system stability or 2. run the 8Gb of memory as usable and suffer random BSOD nightmares. I am running the latest BIOS 1702 and the problem still exists. ASUS knows about it as this bios version was designed to correct memory problems and sytem stability issues. But it doesn't work.

You can check this for yourself by entering the bIOS on startup by pressing the "delete" key. Go to the "Advanced" tab and scroll down to "Uncore Configuration". There are two options for this item - "enabled" and "disabled". Disabled gives you #1 above and Enabled gives you #2 above. Take your pick.

Don't be afraid of entering the BIOS as you have the option of "Saving Changes and Exiting" or "Discarding Changes and Exiting". If you are at all concerned, use the second option.

If anyone else has a solution (BIOS settings) that work please let us both know.

Best! Ed

I dont think this is a bios problem.

First, run MSCONFIG and make sure in the boot options that it is not limiting your ram. I don't think that's the problem here, but just be sure.

Second, check the bios for some sort of memory mapping or remapping function. Also not my suspect, but no reason not to try it.

Finally, and this is my pick for likely problem, remove cpu and check for bent pins:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272698-30-gigabyte-guide-read-first

Search down the above thread for:

i3/i5/i7 'Missing' Memory

Special thanks to bilbat for his work on the guide above.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
In BIOS are you running ganged or unganged? I had this problem when I was fooling around with my mem settings in BIOS....If I ran in ganged mode it only recognized 4 Gigs of my mem...unganged it showed all 8 Gigs...of course I have since built and sold another machine using 4 GB of my ram so I no longer have 8 Gigs....maybe this is the problem??????

jamedawg32

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
My Motherboards user guide says that when running a 32bit version of Windows it will only allow me around 3gb and that if I want to use 4gb or more I will need to run Winows 64bit...

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

This is true a 32-bit OS only recognizes 3GB of memory you will need a 64-bit OS if you want to use more. I don't know why this wasn't answered for you before..I am betting that all of your mem sticks are OK

Please list the EXACT part-numbers and or links to your RAM.

There are several explanations, my initial assumption is 'Mix-Matched' RAM. Also, yes the P55 frequently have bent CPU pins causing the problem, but also incompatible RAM, bad stick(s), bad DIMM slots, improper BIOS, incorrect Memory Mapping, 32-bit partitioned OS {dual booting}, Windows setting {see image}.

Tested / Compatible RAM - http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=1105952

Set1 A1/B1
Set2 A2/B2
P55_Dual_Channel.jpg

Windows:
Boot_OPT.gif

Please post the following:
RM_7PRO6GB.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.