Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

3.25GB usable 8.00GB installed PLEASE HELP!!

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
Share
March 7, 2010 1:44:08 AM

Hey guys I bought the p7p55d Deluxe motherboard by asus a while ago and have been having a few problems with it. I solved them all except this memory problem. I started out with a 2x2 dual channel setup. I installed the Corsair XMS DD3 sticks in both of the matching slots and when I booted it it said in windows 4.00GB Installed ( 1.99GB usable ). I decided to buy 4 more gigs of ram to see if it was just doing something stupid with 2 gigs of it and now I have 8GB installed but now it says only 3.24GB USABLE. I am running Windows 7 x64 bit and my graphics card is the 285 GTX 2GB edition. Also in my bios it shows only the usable ram NOT the installed that it shows on windows so I think it's a bios problem. Please if anyone knows the solution please tell me.
March 7, 2010 2:36:10 AM

try to flash your bios to the newest release.
Score
0
March 7, 2010 6:57:15 AM

Is there anything I need to know in order to do it? I've never updated my bios b4 and have heard alot of horror stories and I'm scared i'm going to do something wrong. Is it as simple as downloading the update and installing it for my type of mobo or is it more complicated than that?
Score
0
Related resources
March 7, 2010 7:28:58 AM

Download the bios file from asus site and install bios flasher from the mobo driver disk and select the bios file and click flash!thats all!
Score
0
March 7, 2010 4:50:28 PM

Run memtest to verify that your memory is good. I had this problem on a friends build and later he found out that he had a bad stick.
Score
0
June 12, 2010 3:19:27 AM

I have exactly the same issue and here is what I found. I swapped the Mobo (ASUS), Memory (Corsair) and Processor (Intel) with the respective manufacturers and it did not solve the issue. They blamed each other by-the-way. This is a BIOS issue.

Until AM/ASUS come up with a BIOS upgrade that solves the issue, you have two options: 1. run the 8Gb of installed memory at 3.325Gb (Usable) and have system stability or 2. run the 8Gb of memory as usable and suffer random BSOD nightmares. I am running the latest BIOS 1702 and the problem still exists. ASUS knows about it as this bios version was designed to correct memory problems and sytem stability issues. But it doesn't work.

You can check this for yourself by entering the bIOS on startup by pressing the "delete" key. Go to the "Advanced" tab and scroll down to "Uncore Configuration". There are two options for this item - "enabled" and "disabled". Disabled gives you #1 above and Enabled gives you #2 above. Take your pick.

Don't be afraid of entering the BIOS as you have the option of "Saving Changes and Exiting" or "Discarding Changes and Exiting". If you are at all concerned, use the second option.

If anyone else has a solution (BIOS settings) that work please let us both know.

Best! Ed
Score
0
June 13, 2010 9:12:39 AM

safewaysecurity said:
Hey guys I bought the p7p55d Deluxe motherboard by asus a while ago and have been having a few problems with it. I solved them all except this memory problem. I started out with a 2x2 dual channel setup. I installed the Corsair XMS DD3 sticks in both of the matching slots and when I booted it it said in windows 4.00GB Installed ( 1.99GB usable ). I decided to buy 4 more gigs of ram to see if it was just doing something stupid with 2 gigs of it and now I have 8GB installed but now it says only 3.24GB USABLE. I am running Windows 7 x64 bit and my graphics card is the 285 GTX 2GB edition. Also in my bios it shows only the usable ram NOT the installed that it shows on windows so I think it's a bios problem. Please if anyone knows the solution please tell me.


I dont think this is a bios problem.

First, run MSCONFIG and make sure in the boot options that it is not limiting your ram. I don't think that's the problem here, but just be sure.

Second, check the bios for some sort of memory mapping or remapping function. Also not my suspect, but no reason not to try it.

Finally, and this is my pick for likely problem, remove cpu and check for bent pins:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272698-30-gigabyte-gu...

Search down the above thread for:

i3/i5/i7 'Missing' Memory


Special thanks to bilbat for his work on the guide above.
Score
0
a b } Memory
June 13, 2010 3:17:55 PM

In BIOS are you running ganged or unganged? I had this problem when I was fooling around with my mem settings in BIOS....If I ran in ganged mode it only recognized 4 Gigs of my mem...unganged it showed all 8 Gigs...of course I have since built and sold another machine using 4 GB of my ram so I no longer have 8 Gigs....maybe this is the problem??????
Score
0
December 3, 2010 4:50:24 AM

My Motherboards user guide says that when running a 32bit version of Windows it will only allow me around 3gb and that if I want to use 4gb or more I will need to run Winows 64bit...
Score
0
a b } Memory
December 6, 2010 7:21:41 AM

humphryboggie said:
Run memtest to verify that your memory is good. I had this problem on a friends build and later he found out that he had a bad stick.

I agree. Test your memory one by one stick.
Score
0
a b } Memory
December 17, 2010 5:43:58 PM

jamedawg32 said:
My Motherboards user guide says that when running a 32bit version of Windows it will only allow me around 3gb and that if I want to use 4gb or more I will need to run Winows 64bit...



This is true a 32-bit OS only recognizes 3GB of memory you will need a 64-bit OS if you want to use more. I don't know why this wasn't answered for you before..I am betting that all of your mem sticks are OK
Score
0
a c 347 } Memory
December 17, 2010 5:58:25 PM

Please list the EXACT part-numbers and or links to your RAM.

There are several explanations, my initial assumption is 'Mix-Matched' RAM. Also, yes the P55 frequently have bent CPU pins causing the problem, but also incompatible RAM, bad stick(s), bad DIMM slots, improper BIOS, incorrect Memory Mapping, 32-bit partitioned OS {dual booting}, Windows setting {see image}.

Tested / Compatible RAM - http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.asp...

Set1 A1/B1
Set2 A2/B2


Windows:


Please post the following:

Score
0
December 17, 2010 6:30:58 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!