What should i expect from....

ryanmission

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
my new gaming build compared to my old one?

Monitors (Keeping):
20.1" LG 1680x1050
41" LG TV 1920x1080

Old build:
E4300 Core2Duo @ 3.0Ghz
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 2x2GB
WD 250GB 7200rpm SATAII x2 in RAID0
BFG Geforce 8800GTS G92 512MB OC

New build:
Core i7 920 D0 (hope to OC to around 3.8-4GHz
Asus P6TD Deluxe
G.Skill DDR3-1600 3x2GB CL9-9-9-24
*Picking a SSD, havent decided yet*
*waiting on new ATI 5xxx Series*

Will it be a mind boggling increase in performance in games, movies and everyday use? Or just mild/moderate?

Thx

Depends on the game. That 8800 could probably max many games out (at least to faster FPS than your monitor). If you compared both systems on the newer monitor you would see more of a difference. On older games you probably see mild/moderate. On newer games like GTA or intensive games like crysis probably see a big difference.

ryanmission

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Well, my 20.1" monitor has 5ms and a 2000:1 "digital fine contrast". It runs at 60Hz as well.

How would a newer monitor provide me a higher performance? Do you mean a monitor with higher resolutions would be better?

If you ran your old PC with the higher resolution monitor that would make it slower than the monitor you use now. It would make the speed difference with the new computer more obvious. Running higher resolutions accentuates the gap in speed.

If you run the new computer on the old monitor, you would not really be able to see the difference between your 8800 running at 80FPS and the new computer running at 160 FPS.

I thought you were going to use your LCD TV? No need to buy a new monitor because of what I said. I think I misread your post and thought you were going from a 20 inch LCD on the old computer to a 40 inch LCD TV.

What games do you play and what FPS do you get? If you play Runescape then a new PC is pointless - if you want to play Crysis or GTA then the new computer will be great.

Basically if you can get over 60 FPS consistent at max resolution using your old computer you wont notice any difference on a more powerful system for that game. Some First Person Shooters cap everyones FPS (I think to eliminate hardware advantages) and you dont see a difference past that cap.

I play various MMORPGs on a 9800 GTX (not much better than your 800GT) at 1380x1050 (same as you). I can only get consistent 60 FPS at high settings on most of the newer ones, not very high or max. I would like to have a GTX 275 level card as I believe that would let me max everything I play.