Cannot use "explorer.exe" help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jineus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Hi!

I have windows 7 and I tried to make my theme look pretty, so I followed a bunch of directions, but I did some parts of it wrong.

I changed my "explorer.exe" to "explorerold.exe" but then forgot to replace that one with the new explorer file, which is on my desktop right now.

I am unable to open any folders, but can use internet and micosoft word and etc.

so what I need to do is move the "explorer.exe" file, which is on my desktop, to C:\Windows.

I tried to use DOS, which I have no idea how to use, and I typed in the stuff inside the brackets:

[move "C:\USERS\MYUSERNAME\DESKTOP\EXPLORER.EXE" "C:\WINDOWS"]

It just gives me an error message saying that the file isn't there, when I can clearly see the file on my desktop. How can I move this folder to C:\Windows?

Thank you!

Jineus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
Universal Theme Patcher is the only program-looking thing I downloaded.

The way i did it was to get administrative permission and renamed and copied the files onto system32 and windows

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Can you rename the original file back to explorer.exe? Or you can try: at the Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow. This will run system file checker and it will try to repair any damaged or missing system files. You may be asked for you install disk.

Jineus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010

Yes, I'm pretty sure I manually edited the registry

Yes, I can go to the system restore, but the only event that shows up is the windows update. The windows update was before the mess-up though. Could that still work?

I have no backup

Jineus

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010

Well, since explorer.exe is messed up, I can't open any folders... I can try to do it using the Command prompt, but I'm not sure what I renamed it.

if it tries to repair any damaged/missing files, will it erase any data?

If there is a way to just move that explorer.exe file into C:\Windows, using the command prompt, that'll fix the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.